Treasure Trove of Ultra Rare Parts Found in England | FerrariChat

Treasure Trove of Ultra Rare Parts Found in England

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by carguyjohn350, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Christian.Fr likes this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  3. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Now all auction house seems to organised a photo session for anything, important, it must to look as a barn find.

I don t know the guy inside the container, but it looks a world champion.

Boxes in front the container looks empty, all materials looks the same, rims, wheels.

And why without reserve? Take it and run, run

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  4. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    An interesting collection! Some of the parts probably hidden away for years and some items can only have been acquired by the collector far more recently. Perhaps we will see a 250 GTE resurrected? More likely another 250 GT SWB replica.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not much there IMO, much of it appears to be Abarth. It would be better to separate that stuff and sell as two lots.

6. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
  7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  10. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Have I missed something here or is much of this stuff linked to Fabrizio Violati? In addition to the 250 GT chassis frame and the GTO kit, the sale includes parts from 2443GT which had the engine from 4105GT and lots of the parts would have fitted cars that Violati owned. If so, how did all these parts end up in the South West of England or has there been a previous sale that I have missed?

Does anyone else feel the Coys listing seems like it was put together in a rush, or by someone who did not know what they are listing? I have only had a quick look at the lots but I noticed mistakes like SEV Marshall, Paris Rome and Magnetti Morelli on some of the electrical equipment, Chrimodora wheels, and lot numbers 103 and 104 have been mixed up. Someone hoping to buy "a selection of carburettor trumpets" may end up with a box of inlet valves for a 250F! I find these errors surprising for a major auction house. Perhaps I am being naive again.

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Sorry, but COYS is not (!) a major auction house!

Lusso123 and Daytonafan like this.
  12. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I am far far far removed from any expertise on the vintage Italian parts market. That said, this stuff looks awesome to me. Marcel's comment in post 2 would give me serious pause were I a real buyer, which I am not. I am a fan of old cars but do not have time for old cars. Love to read the info of our experts though.

13. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Walter.

I am sorry if my description of Coys has offended you. Maybe it amused you? Whichever, it was unintentional.

Perhaps I see them just from an English perspective. How would you describe them?

Robert.

14. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Robert,

I am too polite to discuss here my opinion reg. COYS...
    But I know that many people had problems with them, no matter if vendor or buyer.
    For sure they are not a major player in the global auction world like BONHAMS, RM and GOODING nor would you find really (!!) important cars like 250GTO, 335S, 250LM, Maserati 300S, 250F, Alfa 8C Monza, 33 Stradale etc. with them in their events.
    You post did not offend me in any way....;)

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    So how much did what was said to be the part built Violati 3851 250 GTO replica based on a modded GTE chassis fetch at the Coys auction?

16. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Coys offered one of just two Sauber - Mercedes, that won Le Mans and the Group C champs in the 1987 - 1990 period, in private hands at Fontwell House Goodwood in late 2017 and it sold for UKP1.687 million BUT then offered it again at Monaco in May 2018 at Euro 1.6 - 1.8 million. Now while some auction houses and dealers offer the same car regularly, there is usually a year or three between offerings, otherwise one must question whether something slightly dodgy going on (was it actually sold or is it legit). In this case it set a record in late '17 and then couldn't be sold less than 8 months later (at a much lower estimate). Hmmmmm.....

http://www.coys.co.uk/cars/1989-sauber-mercedes-c9-group-c-2

17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    As Walter stated, they are not a major auction house. I'm not a fan of COYS. Speaking from personal experience as a buyer as well as that of a client of mine, and from a good friend who worked with them..... Tread cautiously with this auction house....

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  18. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    There does appear to be, at a minimum, some casual similarities with what Violati had on display at Maranello Rosso...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, Lusso123 and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.