365gt 2+2 | FerrariChat

365gt 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Bowzer, Feb 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Hello all,

Is there any information about the 365gt 2+2 regarding at which s/n did Ferrari , or rather Pinin Farina stop installing the plexi-glass covers over the front headlight . I know this happened in the first run of cars in 1968 , but I do not know which s/n was the last.

Thank you. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't believe those covers were ever allowed in the US (during the 365GT's production run, anyway), so US cars never had them. Probably around the serial number of the first US cars.

Is it just the lighting, or is the nose of the car in the picture messed up?

3. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I'm in Europe, Donv. Seen many pictures with cars having these covers. As regards to the car in the picture, I just brought it up as an example but I think what you are seeing as messed up is due to the lighting otherwise it would have been quite a headache fitting the grille. ( notice , white position lights against the Usa amber ones)

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I do not believe these cars ever had the covers installed at the Factory. It is understandable why someone would think the covers could have been standard because the Pininfarina promo shot from '67 included the covers. My old car, 11199, was the 26th car made and did not come w/ the covers. My impression from looking at hundreds of Queen Mother pictures over the years is that certain Euro dealers offered them - like Maranello Concessionaires. I believe the dealer would have installed the covers along with the market-appropriate radio and exterior mirrors. I have seen about a dozen QMs with the covers, and none of the attachment methods were the same - some very neatly done, and others not so much . . . . You can buy covers online - they are intentionally cut a little big and need to be trimmed down.

The 365 Californias DID have covers installed from the Factory/Pininfarina. If I were to install covers on a QM, I would mimic the California covers and attachment method.

Smiles likes this.
  5. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you Bryanp for your informative answer. In fact I was a bit confused because the Ferrari official pictures do not show it with these covers, but Pininfarina does. I just want my car to be correct , rather than wanting to fit them on.

6. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    My 1968 365 (11447) GT had them too. Most definitely not done at the factory, Not the same high-quality workmanship in the installation, but they looked cool..
    I sold mine last year for $300k to my neighbor. I really miss her too. And my neighbor revs the **** out of it when passing Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login my house too just to rub it in..

davemqv, Bowzer and Bryanp like this.
  7. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you Jippiejake ;-)
    I feel for you having sold yours and now having to suffer hearing it and watching it roar by :-(
    I always had a great desire to own one of these beauties also having the glorious V12. Finally I found mine. On the ferrari website and also on my owner's handbook ( because this is the last place one looks before posting questions here :) ) there are no headlight covers on the car. Therefore I will keep her as is and without. Here are some pics of my " Gina" ;-) Think , I'll concentrate on getting the correct wiper blades instead , the only real thing missing in the car :-( .
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Not that it matter much, but this thread probably belongs in the main vintage forum rather than the "market" sub-forum.

TTR likes this.
  9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I agree. Did you reported it to mods ?

10. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Wooops , sorry for that, maybe someone can move it there electronically ???

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    You (or any one) can request it by clicking on "REPORT" link on your (or every) post.

By the way, IMO 365GT 2+2 looks much better (classier?) without covered headlight.

Bowzer likes this.
  12. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I am of the same opinion also, just needed to know what was correct ;-)
    Thank you

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Below is from the Ferrari web site here.

"Initially it was fitted with similar design 10-hole alloy wheels as had been used on the Series II 330 GT 2+2, and then later with five-spoke ‘star’ patterns.

Borrani wire wheels remained available as an option throughout production. At about the same time as the change of wheel design, the plexiglass covers over the headlights were deleted, although the light position in deep wing recesses remained."