Should Max get a suspension from races? | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Should Max get a suspension from races?

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Apr 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Max has that edge , the right amount of ******* and cut throat driver that wins WDC’s . The winningest champions have that edge but he is still young and is having a bad season so far , some of it his own doing by being too aggressive and not patient enough . Assuming he learns from it , he is a future WDC . He does have to learn to shake off the media and the circus that follows F1. Time will tell but it way too soon to give up on him

Finlander, jgonzalesm6, Bas and 2 others like this.
  2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed racers like him keep me watching F1.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A well balanced post. Fully agreed.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  4. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I think Max is a good example of what is wrong with F1 at the moment...
    It is all about the car. When you have a car to get pole and ride into the sunset none of them (Lewis, Seb, Ricci or Max) have a problem doing so, but as soon as your car is second fastest there is no way to get by. Seb tried to force it last year when Ferrari was loosing edge to Mercedes at the second half of the season and Max is trying to force it now although the RB is not the fastest car on most of the tracks. No matter how talented Max is he will not win a WDC unless he is given a car able to get on pole more often than not. And then there will be no crashes anymore as he does not need to force his way through the field. Right at the moment it only seems that Max does not want to accept that and tries the impossible.
    And for all those who think he must simply cool down: the question is whether this "forcing his luck" is not one of his strenght (when it works out) and if he gets rid of that he is not that good anymore. But as said: I do not think that the driver does make that much of a difference (at least among the top drivers, please do not compare Max to Lance ;) )

Bas and DF1 like this.
  5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

+1

Vet/LH tend to play the smart way. How often have we seen an actual pass for the lead since 2017? Most races where actually won/lost by tyre strategy...Try and stay close enough and then just pit.

We saw last year in Malaysia (funnily enough where Max did pass elton for the lead, but that's slightly beside the point) and Mexico that, once in clear air....he was unstoppable.

6. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But still Max very much interferes into the WDC at the moment and he certainly does not make friends...and as said in the past those he crashed into might forgive him but they certainly will not forget. What he does now might damper his WDC chances in the future...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

crinoid and Bas like this.
  7. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    RB have made a sound long term investment. If the RB gets a faster engine everyone else will be pretty miserable.
    As he matures he gets more succesful

Bas likes this.
  8. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Well, Max showed again today what Mad Max stands for. He pushes Kimi out in a high-speed corner. Plenty of similar moves just worked (like today), plenty have failed (as seen so often in 2018). From there he drove an excellent race to a well deserved win. But it was just a Mad Max race after all. A 50/50 gamble as usual. He may as have sliced Kimi's rubbers, dislodged high front wing or sent both into the gravel. Well done but next time there will be tears again, all the way as usual.

9. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    LOL, as he matures...it's a shame his Renault doens't mature.

Give Max the best car and his he's F1 champion, whether it's this year, 2 years ago or next year,

He's he best driver.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Max drove well today. But I think with 4 more laps Kimi would have had him.

That's racing!

11. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Interfere into the WDC ?

Maybe we should let the little diva drive 72 laps in his Mercedes by himself on sunday and call it a day.

Because the other 21 driver "just interfere into the WDC"

12. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Max nurtured his tyres, he had a steady 7 sec. gap before.

There's nothing Kimi did these past years that makes me think he Kimi would've passed Max.

13. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Please do tell the full story.

KImi drove off track before it and didn't got penalized. Gaining an advantage while he made the mistake.

Some people complain not seeing any racing in F1 (comparing it to MotoGP for example), Max is racing and some people still complain.

14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Agree that Max does not have the car to win (bar exceptional circumstances, like today) and he tries to compensate by kind-of reckless moves.
    One thing that encourages him to continue is that, unlike other drivers and for whatever reason, he never gets a penalty for them.
    He pushes Kimi to pass - no one notices; Vettel pushes Bottas in last GP - he gets a 5s penalty (and some argue it's too lenient...)

15. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Try to be factual mate, Kimi drove off track in the first lap, by doing so he kept his place even drove into Max getting back on track. Kimi's own mistake and gaining an advantage while doing so, but wasn't penalized.

Why ? because it was he first lap.

Does it make sense ? No, Kimi should've gotten a 5 sec.penalty

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Certainly, I also suggest the death penalty for Kimi :)
    Not really worth arguing...

17. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Max is an old school racer and brings fresh energy. F1 has been santitized enough.

Finlander likes this.
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, agree he nutured his tires but he didn't have much pressure on him the last 25 laps of the race either.

Give him credit for running a smart race.

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Running wide there actually costs you more time, lol. So why a penalty?

During all the support races, cars have been off there. Every. Single. Time. It cost time. There is no advantage. Hence, no driver got penalized for running wide. Not a single driver racing these guys got on the radio and complained driver so and so got an advantage.

Did you watch the Dutch commentary by any chance?

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  20. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I have no idea what you mean. You suggest that if you are unhappy with someone's driving you are free to bounce them out, slice their tyres, etc.? Weird concept.

Certainly does and I am happy with that. I just feel he gets overly hyped when he survives his recklessness.
    Treat him for what he is, a reckless old school racer, not (yet?) WDC material.

21. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Max has had quite the turnaround the last few races. It's good to have multiple race winners throughout a season.

375+ likes this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 I was even OK with his tap to pass Kimi, it showed great racecraft and finesse. Had he spun him . . . not.

Bas likes this.
  23. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    3 races with 3 podiums.

Great job Max!

375+ likes this.
  24. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I will be the first to tell you that Max makes some reckless moves on the track and ruined a few races for other drivers in the past.
    I am not a Max fan but today he drove a good race and the pass on Kimi was just good racing

Bas and 375+ like this.
  25. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I'd say that Alonzo, Vettel and Hamilton are all better. There could be a couple more, but Max ain't even in the top 3.