F430 Starting Issues - Battery Not Always to Blame ! | FerrariChat

F430 Starting Issues - Battery Not Always to Blame !

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tackleberry, Apr 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    #1 Tackleberry, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Having starting issues with the F430 ?

Don’t be so quick to blame the Battery !

Starting issues always seem to be a popular subject when it comes to the F430 (and 360 of course), and I have had my fair share of them too.

Over the 4 years I have owned the car I have been down the replacing Battery route (still had the original factory battery when I bought it), twice !

The usual M.O. was……...

Open Door, F1 Pump Runs as usual.
    Turn on ignition, all fine.
    Press Starter Button……………….click click click, followed by a laboured attempt to turn over while simultaneously popping the Luggage Compartment Hood open, and everything going haywire and lighting up like a Christmas Tree before dying and refusing do anything else.

Leave for 10 minutes, then go back and try again.

Bursts into life as if there was nothing wrong.

This usually involved a lot of swearing !

Did all the usual checks including a drain down test, but could find nothing to suggest there was am issue with the Battery, or indeed any other electrical issue.

All earths and connections were good.

I even went a bought a larger CTEK after surmising the standard Ferrari Tender was not up to keeping the latest type Battery in check.

Yet still it happened.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and after they usual refusal a thought entered my head.

Starter Motor !

I had considered this before, but was so convinced the Battery was the problem I dismissed it.
    Resigning myself to the inevitable that would probably have to fork out for a new Starter I hit the Google trail, and what started to unfold was rather interesting.

The Starter Motors are Made by Denso, and it turns out these have a an "Achilies Heal".

What is it you ask ?

Nothing more complex than the main contacts in the Solenoid !

Better still, a Repair Kit can be purchased on eBay for around £14

The problem with these Starters is the copper contacts in the Solenoid.
    While the Starter itself is reliable, the contacts are prone to burning and failing.

Basically when you try to start the Car and the Solenoid makes contact with burnt portions (which as these get older is pretty much all of it) insufficient current is supplied to the Starter Motor.

This causes a massive voltage drop as resistance shoots up and gives the impression the Battery is flat.
    The huge current draw sends everything haywire (popping the hood and lighting everything up like a Christmas Tree !).

Anyway, in for a penny in for a pound I thought, and purchased said Repair Kit.

As I had to disconnect the Battery I decided to take it out altogether and check it.
    Battery was in perfect health !

I’ll spare you the detail of removing the Starter, and the attached pics should pretty much speak for themselves.

Needless to say I was extremely happy to remove the Back Plate form the Solenoid and find a set of absolutely f**ked contacts.

Did it cure the problem ?

Abso-bloody-lutely !

The starter now turns the engine over without a hint of struggling……………….and no Christmas Lights either.

Any of you chaps interested in this simple and cost effective fix then go to eBay and search (please note I have no vested interest with this other than being a happy consumer):
    FERRARI F430 STARTER MOTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT DENSO 228000-9970 OEM No - 180169

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Great info!
    Thanks for sharing. Whats the time to perform this repair from removal to START!?

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Are the replacement parts going to fail too? In Other words is this an item you just replace say at every major service?

4. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    You're welcome.
    To be honest I didn't time it, but taking into account removing the Undertray etc I'd guess a couple of hours if you take your time, or an hour if your pants are on fire !

That I cannot answer as I am only a consumer.
    However you can safely assume you will get at leat the same the service life as the original parts (approx 6~8 years). Although there is the chance these replacements are of better quality and will give a longer service life.

Only time will tell !

Bottom line is it's a very cost effective repair when compared to the price of a new Starter Motor, for which this renders it unnecessary to waste the the money buying !

fatbillybob likes this.
  5. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Thanks’ for sharing!

Guess the 360 uses the same starter so applicable for them too..?

6. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    360 is different. Although if it is a Denso a Repair Kit should be available,

7. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why would a bad starter pop your front trunk when you try to start the car?

8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Nice find and nice work. great info and a fine fix.

Tackleberry and fatbillybob like this.
  9. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Nice success story finding root cause. A long time ago we had a 4Runner and it was the exact same deal, worn contacts and $10 to fix. Unfortunately for the 4Runner though the starter was in the worst possible place humanly imaginable so it was a huge pain in the butt to take it out and put it back in. Still pisses me off to this day haha.

Tackleberry likes this.
  10. Tackleberry

Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    In other words it's one of those car where the first item on the assembly line is the Starter Motor. The rest of the car is then built around it :confused:

Citroen did a similar thing with the BX. They started with a Clutch Cable then assembled the car around it.
    Replacing the Clutch Cable on those things is politely described as a little awkward !

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent info and great job!

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tackleberry likes this.
  12. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Great Job!
    Thanks for sharing this.!

Tackleberry likes this.
  13. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Very nice find. This should help a lot of owners!

Tackleberry likes this.
  14. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Formula Junior

May 26, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    Thank You for this !! I just did the same song and dance. Did the new CTek. Worked for two weeks then came back. Bought a new battery today. Same problem. Now its just "click, click, click". Finally just spoke to Bruce Anderson at Maranello Autosports, and he said its likely the starter. Your symptoms are EXACTLY what I have eperienced for the last couple weeks. Thanks for the great info. Now its off to Bruce to fix ......

15. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    More stuff to buy, thanks for the info!