Ferrari 360 3-Piece Optional Wheel Lip Restoration? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 3-Piece Optional Wheel Lip Restoration?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ThunderHill, Jul 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThunderHill

ThunderHill Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Full Name:
    Toby Smith
    My 2002 Ferrari 360 Coupe came equipped with the 3 piece optional wheels (Ferrari part number 183843). The whole wheel looks like this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

There are some very minor defects, maybe 5-6mm wide on part of the outer edge of the lips of three (yeah... I know... -sigh-) of these wheels. The wheels appear to possibly have some sort of clear coat over the lip, and under that appears to be a striated pattern chrome or some high polish material, then below that, the actual alloy of the wheels:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm no stranger to refinishing and re-clearing alloy wheels, but I've never seen a set that had this kind of intricate (and paper-thin) pattern on the wheel lip. Can this even be fixed because of that pattern (can shops re-machine that?), or is the only option to replace the whole lip? If that's the case, is there a way to purchase correctly patterned lips apart from the entire wheel? Complete wheels in mint condition are in abundance all over the internet, so I don't have any issue figuring out where to buy more, but I don't really want to spend $2,000 per wheel to rectify such cosmetic minute damage.

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I have these 360 wheels on my 348. I had them repaired by AWS and the repair looked just like the rest of the lip with the markings.
    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. ThunderHill

ThunderHill Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Full Name:
    Toby Smith
    That's great!... But what is AWS? (Sorry, I'm new).

4. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Sorry its alloy wheel service... its a repair company... no affiliation.
    The guy who owns the franchise in my area also has a 360.

This area was repaired 5 years ago by them. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. ThunderHill

ThunderHill Rookie

May 23, 2018
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Full Name:
    Toby Smith
    Just want to verify, after talking to a number of local pros...

It looks upon closer inspection that your wheel was fixed by completely removing the machining I mentioned and just recoating over a smooth surface? Is that right, or are those riges still there, and just too small to see?

6. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    nope.. machining is still there.