Bora, Ghibli & Khamsin | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bora, Ghibli & Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Longstone Tyres, Oct 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Well i suppose the good news is that the quality control of the CN12 is now fixed https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/255-60x15.html

difficult tyre to justify making as it only originally fitted a couple of years ov V8 Vantage https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/aston-martin/v8-vantage.html and the rear of a Muira SV. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/lamborghini/miura.html

I must say my brother in law had a V8 vantage on the 16" wheels and i didn't like them, the square shoulders of the tyre made it track on uneven motorways, and for general steady driving the were unpleasant and gave a rough ride. i particularly didn't like it when i drove it home from a car show at the Birmingham NEC in t he wet. (i would much rather have driven the early plastic bodied 308 GTB back that would have been much more fun).

However when that car went to auction i drove it to Newport Pagnell to the auction, and had a pretty open road where i gave it everything, and while receiving a sound thrashing it all came together, I could just get it to start to drift the back end a little and progressively on full throttle on the way out of roundabouts. Obviously this was all on private roads and i would also like to point out of course that breaking the speed limit is a heinous crime!

2. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Dougal,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main issue the one of square shoulders more than that of lower profile on 16" rims?
    Hence with a 16" (instead of 15") tyre with more tapered walls (rounder shoulders), wouldn't the good handling be restored as suggested in the article I quote above?

Maybe the Goodyear 255/50 ZR16 Eagle's of that time had rounder shoulders than e.g. the 255/50 ZR16 Michelin Pilot Sport's that probably equipped the AMV8 that you drove and that can still be purchased today.

Please tell us

3. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Yes the rounder shoulders of the CN12 have a big advantage to cars that suit that kind of tyre.

When have a 255/60 tyre on a 15" rim it will have a taller side wall, and the tread width will not be as wide in relation to the section width as compared to a 50% profile tyre on a 16" rim. they become quite different, with a stiffer shorter side wall. they don't absorb vibration as well or cope so well with cars t hat roll a little in cornering.

So when i was driving my brother in-laws Vantage i didn't like it so much until i was thrashing it, and full power on it hunkered down and the back end became flatter when i was revving its nadjers off in second on the way out of a round about. but fastish corners without the power on felt iffy, because the car would roll more.

The squarer shoulders of modern tyres suit cars with stiffer springs and clever self leveling suspention, but when an older chassis design rolls under cornering the square shoulders are not good.