F430 Engine bay open | FerrariChat

F430 Engine bay open

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fga4, Jun 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Took off the interior side panels to gain access to replace spark plugs and wondering if there is anything else I could/should do while I have access to the engine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would consider as I am doing ..some heat resist backing .. the one that looks like aluminum paper on thin foam .. I was thinking of putting in the panel itself

Just a thought

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3. Sled Driver

Sled Driver Formula Junior

May 13, 2010
    Stokesdale, NC
    Full Name:
    Emery
    As long as you mechanically attach it ( pop rivets or screws) it shouldn't be an issue.

I installed one on the back side of the air box to insulate it from the exhaust.
    I realize it has minimal effect with the velocity of the air through the box, but it was more for heat soak of the box itself.
    I also have one attached to the engine compartment hatch (Hood) above the muffler. Both are attached with either screws or pop rivets.

The adhesive backed (peel & stick) heat shields are to be avoided. Depending on the proximity to a high heat source (headers, cats, muffler) there is a risk of the adhesive catching fire. Or due to the adhesive breaking down with age/heat cycles become dislodged & contact a heat source, catching fire.

This was the issue with early 458's burning up & was addressed by dealers replacing those heat shields.

4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    The adhesive backed (peel & stick) heat shields are to be avoided. Depending on the proximity to a high heat source (headers, cats, muffler) there is a risk of the adhesive catching fire. Or due to the adhesive breaking down with age/heat cycles become dislodged & contact a heat source, catching fire.

This was the issue with early 458's burning up & was addressed by dealers replacing those heat shields.[/QUOTE]

I have used a lot of the aftermarket adhesive backed foil type insulation and I can tell you, they do not catch fire. Ferrari just messed up when they glued there panels on.
    I have had that stuff turn black from heat and still no fire. The gold stuff is better than the silver. Works well.
    Here is a link to stuff I have used on a Trans Am & a 308 road race car:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-707016/overview/

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Based on discussions above I may change the material I am using to the hd lava shield ..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk