Alternative to Ricambi for OEM Ferrari Parts? | FerrariChat

Alternative to Ricambi for OEM Ferrari Parts?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by makethemsaywow, Jul 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    I asked Daniel @Ricambi America about the Ferrari OEM authenticity of a part I received and he refused my future business. Are there any alternatives, specifically for 458/488?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Local franchise dealer for example ? Pricing for OEM should be roughly the same for 458/488 parts

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Gotta be a little more to the story than that.

Daniel is one of the easiest guys to do business with that I've ever dealt with in the Ferrari world.

D

2NA, Ryan..., sainthoo and 8 others like this.
  4. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    My local dealers, Ferrari of SF and Ferrari of Silicon Valley, are much higher than Ricambi.

Has anyone tried these guys? They are significantly cheaper than Ricambi for the parts I need. https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/

brian.s likes this.
  5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I recommended over the phone and still do recommend, for the parts you are currently seeking, that you contact your local dealer.

6. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Here's the complete story.

About a month ago, I was searching for a part for my 458. I found it at Ricambi and was told that it was a special order item and would take a few days to arrive. I went to my local dealer - they had it ready for immediate pickup for a higher price. I asked them to explain the price delta and they said that some parts that Ricambi sells are aftermarket OEM replacements and not true Ferrari/Maserati OEM. I called Daniel to ask him about this and he said the local dealer was lying, saying that he does business with that dealer and they know better. Despite the fact that I needed the part immediately, I bought it and another part from Daniel in support of his business.

My tech re-evaluated my car on Tuesday and said the problem persists and the part I bought from Daniel may be defective. I called Daniel @Ricambi America on Tuesday at 4PM ET to re-order that part and some complementary parts. I noticed the part didn't originally come in Ferrari packaging like the other part did, so I double-checked whether it was truly a Ferrari-sourced part. Daniel confirmed (I perceived the tone here as defensive). We proceeded with the rest of my order.

I gave him the part number for the other item and he quoted me nearly 2x the price of what I was literally looking at live on the site at that moment. I mentioned this and he immediately marked the item "Unavailable" on the site (I refreshed) and said the part will need to be special ordered. When I asked if he could honor the price that was on the site up until that point of the call, he said he was going to refund me for the original part and recommended that I go elsewhere. I told him that I am still interested in buying from him (I reminded him that I supported him over my local dealer). I asked if I could call back in about 10 minutes to finish the order. He said fine, if he was still available. I called him back in 10 minutes and got voicemail. I was disappointed to not get the order in ahead of 4th of July, but that's fine since I needed the 10 minutes.

Today, I called a couple of times and got voicemail each time. I tried on another line (different number) and he immediately picked up. When I introduced myself, he informed me that he did not want to do business with me. I acknowledged his freedom to choose his customers and accepted.

That's the whole story.

7. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Great helpful guys..

makethemsaywow likes this.
  8. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Thank you. I just priced out my shopping list with them - I can save over 40% with these guys over Ricambi. Looking for the catch. How are their shipping costs?

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I don't know, but I've never seen this before. Pay for the parts then they let you know what the shipping costs will be?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

D

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dave - we have removed automated, international shipping from our online store. Our store is not advanced enough to handle the massive amount of variables.

As I'm sure you know, the box weight and size determine the shipping cost along with the carrier. It's a pretty crazy algorithm to handle all the possible situations.

That said, we ask international customers to contact us first and we box and weigh the shipment and then provide a shipping quote. It's certainly not ideal but in this manner the customer only pays the true shipping cost and not an inflated price.

We shipped to Portugul Tuesday and the very happy customer received the parts today. It works for this type of specialty business model.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dave, Do you have your customers PAY for the parts before you tell them what it's going to cost to ship them??

And the other stuff, yeah it's complicated, but it's not impossible, and there are plenty of ways to standardize shipping boxes to dial in the cost before you charge the customer, as you know.

In fact, if the supplier checked, he'd find it probably violates his vendor/CC master agreement to charge the customer before he ships the order. He can put a 72 hour hold on the card for an estimate, but can't charge the card before the order ships.

And domestically, with a few exceptions, UPS will provide you with an exact cost to ship an item, or multiple items.

D

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dave, we do not. We take the risk to box items up in hopes the customer will accept the deal. We've not had a customer walk yet but I'm sure we will and we will only be out the time to box / unbox.

However, in this example, more than likely, the supplier does not have the parts on the shelf. So, they need to order them and they don't want to do that on a risk basis.

No Ferrari parts supplier can stock all parts - it's impossible. So, they don't even know the weight or box size until they get them.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I love you guys (you know it by looking how much I've spent through the years) - but sometimes you just don't have older raerer stuff available anymore.

I've had good experiences with ferrparts and eurospares too. (they also sometimes don't have stuff that Ricambi America has) The way I see it, with older cars you need a group of sources because often these parts are just so hard to find.

Ricambi is awesome though (when they have what I need)

:)

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Dealers often have higher prices than parts suppliers. It's also common that they buy from the same sources as the DIY crowd, and add a markup.

15. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Going with Ricambi for my current parts list would have literally cost me twice as much, and I would've been none the wiser.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Regarding Ferrari, Dealers buy their OEM parts from FNA (Ferrari North America). DIY guys cannot do that.

17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with this

18. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    That’s my thought, TWO sides to every story.
    ....and I agree with the statement above 100 %

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Sorry, I was thinking standard shops, not an official dealer. Quite right.

Dave rocks likes this.
  20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nothing at all to be sorry about. Just adding information I know. :)

thorn likes this.
  21. makethemsaywow

makethemsaywow Karting

Mar 24, 2015
    SF, CA
    Daniel @Ricambi America gave me three specific reasons why he thought I wasn't a fit as a customer:

1) I questioned the Ferrari OEM authenticity of the part I received that came without Ferrari packaging nor markings.
    2) I brought up the possibility that the part may have been defective, as suggested by my tech.
    3) I questioned the pricing of the other part that I wanted to buy that was quoted by phone at 2x the website price and removed from the website during our call.

I believe Daniel @Ricambi America will agree that I have been fair and unbiased in recounting the situation as I recall it. If he doesn't agree, he is free to clear things up.

I am happy to learn that losing this relationship will not have the impact on my Ferrari ownership experience that I feared at the end of our call. There appear to be several reputable independent Ferrari parts suppliers that offer the same or better pricing and parts availability.

greg328 likes this.
  22. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Understood. There is always two sides to every story/situation

430 Scooter likes this.
  23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    These SEO-tuned complaint threads are getting tiring. Leave your review on Yelp and move on with life.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Here is the differance.

I got a defective 355 water pump from ricambi. I called him and informed him of the issue. First words out of his mouth? What is this going to cost ME to fix it. Never in my life have I encountered such a response. I was expecting excuses and avoidance. Because of that..i didn't send him a bill. All I wanted was a waterpump that worked. Overnight shipped and I installed it..all is well.

That is what you pay for. Try getting that service from anybody else. Yes you pay a bit more, but the security of the purchase and the company backing it up it more then worth the price.
    Ricambi refused the posters business for a reason. I don't know that reason, other then what has been posted here. But the person does not understand the service that's comes with the premium.

25. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Daniel was nothing but professional with my last big order. It's unfortunate that occasional hiccups happen, that's just life. I'm happy to pay a bit more (but a lot less than dealer) pricing. I've ordered from the UK and shipping/exchange kills me. I will still purchase from Daniel and Ferrari Vancouver will still do my service work (a decent dude I met last year had a terrible experience with them...FMV...again, **** happens).

stiffler style likes this.