50 years of Ferrari Dino celebrations 30th of June 2018 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

50 years of Ferrari Dino celebrations 30th of June 2018

Discussion in '206/246' started by GermanDino, Nov 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Matthias

Didn't you want to comment also on the dashboard color?

Marcel Massini

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Hard to tell from the photo's but it looks like it could be Porsche Fjord Green?

Congratulations on what looks to have been a wonderful event.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I don't see any U.S. plates on vehicles in posted photos. Other than yours, were there any/many ?
    Just curious.

4. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    What an event!... and great photos. Any pics of a green, white and red together?

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Matthias,

Looks to have been a significant signature iconic event! Congratulations! I loved seeing all the photos and everyone’s commentary. The passionate enthusiast support will hopefully elevate the awareness of the importance of the Dino to Ferrari with branding, product, spare parts and historic opportunities. Well done!!!

Freeman

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    As usual Matthias, What a great job. My very best congratulations!

Kind regards, Alberto

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Thank you Matthias, you've done a magnificent job.

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    How many US cars attended? How much does it cost to ship a car to Italy from the US? Id like to be ready for the 60TH !

9. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    just Andrew.... many said they would come… but in the end didn`t make it....
    it`s not happing again…. was a once in a life time opportunity….

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    thx I feel worst now. It seems like Ferrari was very accommodating to your event.

11. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Saw 2 Dino's near Calais on Monday, Uk cars getting back I'm sure!

12. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    very likely… we had about 15 cars coming from the UK to the event….

13. TPD

TPD Rookie

Feb 5, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Sophie
  14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    On the way home, completely unplanned, I encountered Francis in Vezelay, a small village near Chablis - not on any obvious route North, miles from an autoroute, in the middle of France!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

alhbln and miurasv like this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    On the way to Le Mans Classic.

Marcel Massini

16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Indeed, though sadly I am not - I am heading for home, via a long weekend in Chantilly.

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Matthias -

Sorry, but I am a little confused. What exactly did Leonardo Fioravanti have to do with the design of the Dino? I was at Concorso Italiano a few years ago in Monterey and I had Leonardo sign my owners manual, because Synchro (a formerly [?] banned user) suggested that I should have him sign it. Yet, when I tried to follow up what he had to do with the specifics of the 206/246 design, I was hard pressed to find anything - I seem to recall seeing more about him and the Daytona 365 GTB4 than anything that I could find about him and the Dino.

So, what, please tell me what he had to do with the Dino? (I don't recall seeing he mentioned in The Compendium, but maybe I was a careless reader, as I sometimes am wont to be.

Mark

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Matthias,
    Thank you for the hard work to make such a complete and enjoyable event. This was the event of the century and not to be missed. So many details were resolved for attendees by Matthias that it was impressive. I have organized Ferrari Club events for 10 years and I know how much effort it takes that the participants never see. Big respect for your passion, Sig Bartz.

Adrian alluded to it , but what has not been said is that the temperatures were crazy, even for Italy. On Saturday for the main events, it was 97F with 78% humidity.

FUNNY STORY:
    I went to the front guard gate at Pista Fiorano just before the end of the track events to get video of the cars in motion. As I am waiting It is hot and sweaty and I start chatting with the guards. The four guards are all senior team members, minimum 10 years and I notice their Schedoni badge holders (these are NLA since Ferrari changed suppliers and they were very proud to have these old ones). Up drives a silver Alfa 164, does not roll its window down, passes the guards and slips into the parking lot. This catches my eye as very unusual as the guards have been strictly observing Ferrari rules, so a rogue vehicle is very unconventional. Out pops Leonardo Fioravanti and I immedately approach him, he turns to me and with a shake says "Caldo, eccch" (hot and sweaty) shaking his arm pits. I read the body language, cancel my mental request for selfie and back away. The guards posture has immediately changed, they are taught and pointed. He comes up to the guard gate says one word, the senior lady points to the Pista Tunnel underbridge and off he goes. The guards relax. Just before Fioravanti enters the tunnel a guard is driving a cart outward and sees him, continues up to the gate and starts chewing out the guards in rapid, loud, aggressive Italian "Sensa billeti, sensa badge, ...." (Without ticket, without badge ....wtf are you guys doing?!) and more too rapid for me to pick up on.
    They guy was absolutely pissed at his staff when the lady stops him with two words "Leonardo Fioravanti" .... the angry boss hesitates, says "oh", and drives on.
    LOL

Talk about being in the presence of greatness !

Nope, getting a USA car to Europe is a bit complicated and takes longer than a Dino battery does to discharge.
    I tried and failed, here is my ordeal. I only found out about this event two months ago [this is the only Dino forum it was advertised on? and the German Ferrari Club :( so so missed it ] and the first thing I do is call Cannonball Jack May, asking to share a double shipping container. He declines and I rebuttal but to no avail. I am on my own so call 12 shippers and it becomes very clear that this industry has many layers and some are shippers and some are brokers. Since time is tight, outbound must be a flight but return can be by ship, total shipping cost USD $12,000.00. Fine, book me, this event is not to be missed.

But wait there is more; Italian customs on arrival and road insurance are not included so add $2,000.00 and 10-14 days in Milan to clear Italian customs.
    OK, sign me up, schedules can still be met.
    Not so fast, the day of the outbound flight can not be guaranteed, only a 1 week window where the shipper selects the actual flight.
    My schedule is getting tighter.
    After this all seems resolved and schedules fall into place with the car barely getting to Milan by June 26th at latest, I am ready to pay and make this reservation

Then I get the bad news from the shipping agent.
    US Customs needs the car in Gardena, CA for 2 weeks prior to the flight costing $2,000.00 USD. That two weeks sunk me. This was my first experience and a bit of a novice in a scramble but in any future event, you need to start searching shipping prior to two months beforehand. I asked many attendees and it basically a fun, easy, two day drive for Europeans to arrive.

July 5th, returned to PdV (excellent choice of resort Matthias!) and one Stratos is still here!

Matthias route map of Maranello to PdV on back roads was absolutely EXCELLENT driving (or bicycle riding OMGjon), thank you for the great options

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    PS - DGT and my neighbor Eduardo were the only Americans in Dinos that I saw. Then again, there were over 200 people at any one setting so you could be in a conversation with others and not see all folks.

The driving route from PdV to Maranello was missed by us (and most others) as Saturday morning departure needed to be facilitated by E45 so we changed our return to follow Matthias backroads (and a bit more) These mountains separate Emilia from Tuscany and are absolutely gorgeous driving roads (OMGjon - lotsa bicyclists too).
    Matthias knows the best roads for a Dino!
    We stopped by Marzotto for the wine festival and the museum in Sasso Marconi town (Marconi an innovator/hero in my Aerospace industry).

Matthias was able to pick up a new, white "Dino" while a the resort - Hehehe - we added USA FCA stickers for fun! LoL

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    he played a crucial role in the Ferrari Dino project, drafted and build the final Torino 1967 prototype, was the boss of Brovarone who did the Dino Berlinetta Speciale and further work in the Dino project… also involved Sergio Pinifarina and Renzo Carli
    page 20 to 24 Dino Compendium

21. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    very sorry you could not bring your Dino and that I missed you around Maranello.... too many people all over me... but glad you nevertheless enjoyed the event….

synchro likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

synchro likes this.
  23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    You should have used COSDEL (head is Martin Button, husband of Pebble Beach President Sandra Kasky-Button) for the transport and logistics. They simply are the best and we have used them often times. With COSDEL (based in San Francisco) you would NOT have needed 2 months but much much less and all is fully professional and totally reliable. Yes, it does cost a bit or two but it does work and we never had the slightest issue. I can highly recommend Cosdel.
    They are also the main logistic company for classic cars to the Pebble Beach Concours and back but also for the Louis Vuitton Shows all around the planet.
    Cosdel International Transportation, Martin E. Button, Inc.

Marcel Massini

375+, synchro and Nembo1777 like this.
  24. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    :) well...what can i say more ? it was absolutely fantastic !!
    Thanks again, Matthias !

The most difficult is to choose the photos ... so here is a totally subjective selection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/rDeSXsYnbkTs6fcq8

synchro likes this.
  25. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    And here is my entire lot!

etienne likes this.