Top mods for your 488 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Top mods for your 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jyupitt, Jun 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cpd1

cpd1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    C
    Nice. Did u DIY the retrofit? And where did you source the blinker from pls?
    Thanks

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You drive a 488, correct? No problem with fitment? The link states 488 is not supported (though 458 is) . . .

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I bought these for my 458, which I subsequently removed and installed them on my 488. Perfect fit.

5. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    any thoughts on the best exhaust valve controller? - valve open = epic, valve closed = near silence!

Dave

6. wasax.rc

wasax.rc Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    For Me:

1. Novitec Springs
    2. Capristo Exhaust
    3. Mase Engineering Tune (hated Novitec tune, Capristo power box was meh, Mase tune is unreal)
    4. PPF
    5. Wheels

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    For me:

1. Full PPF inc w/screen. Protection on wheels.
    2. Forza exhaust valve controller.
    3. Ceramic tint on side windows (just added after months of deliberation - I don't know why I waited so long).
    4. Hueform on roof, lower sills and front splitter.

The rest left factory/stock - job complete.

8. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Just ordered Novi springs and spacers from tag today.
    Capristo- do you have downpipe and muffler? Does it drone?
    Mase - what was wrong with novitec tune ? And pls tell us more about mase tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    w/sceen , I thought this wasn't allowed ? Which company and what is it ?

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Will message you the details....

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dave , I had my valves permanently opened by the dealer when I picked up my car. Easy fix. I didn’t find it necessary to ever want them closed so no controller needed. Best , Kirk.

Foxmod and 100badboy100 like this.
  12. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I did likewise. Simple and effective solution which completely negates the need to spend thousands on an aftermarket system.

Foxmod, 100badboy100 and Cigarzman like this.
  13. Foxmod

Foxmod Karting

Jun 17, 2012
    Midlands, UK
    Full Name:
    David
    thanks guys, this never occurred to me :D - I'll investigate

14. wasax.rc

wasax.rc Karting

Apr 1, 2013
    Sure... yes I did do downpipes with the muffler. No drone. Sounds incredible and yes better than just flaps open.... (finally!)
    Novi tune did improve power but didn't love the drivability. Seat of pants was good, never dyno'd it but didn't love the way it drove around in sport just tooling around, foot in it, great, but outside of that wasn't a fan. The Capristo power box was nice but really really marginal. Mase on the other hand, if you want to mod and go fast, wow and they did an AWESOME job with shift points and driveability. It isn't stuck in 7 gear in sport at 30 miles an hour. The downshifts and upshifts are SO much better. I'd never used Mase before and I have to tell you I liked what they did so much on the 488 that I actually tuned my F12 which I said I'd never do. Amazing work. So for me, the Capristo with downpipes, springs and Mase completely changed the car. I'm in love with my 488 now.

15. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Thanks, very helpful info. I assume your CEL was taken care of by the mase tune? Also, I thought with the novitec tune, sport mode is stock. So not sure why it has drivability issues.

16. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

For those with exhaust and tuning mods, any concerns about warranty invalidation?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Woo Hoo! cant wait to see photos of the car lowered and spaced out.

The capristo system most of the time people do the cat delete pipes. It does drone a bit HOWEVER being that it is valved, you can close the valves. I still am more than happy with our non-valved Novitec System. It just puts a huge smile on my ears.

https://tagmotorsports.com/novitec-488-exhaust-system-no-valves

If you wanted valves, that system sounds stunning as well!

18. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    Interesting - So the Novitec N-Tronic Tune actually is not active and is in "STOCK" mode when the car is in the "SPORT" setting. The additional power is active in the "RACE" setting on the manettino switch.

19. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    We have seen it go both ways. It comes down to the relationship you have with the dealership and the comfort of the dealer with modifications. If you ask them, their immediate answer 9 out of 10 times is "Don't mess with it if you want to keep your warranty" however the truth is, with the amount of junk thats on the market today, the dealer hasto protect themselves. If you have a completely reversible modification, such as exhaust, or a tuner box that you can go back to stock (such as the Novitec or Capriso box's) then the dealer really shouldn't have any issue with it. We have seen it time and time again, but the relationship really is a big factor in all of this.

20. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Hi Alex,

I'm not sure if I follow your comment about capristo. You are saying it drones but if valved its ok? are you talking about capristo dp + valved capristo muffler? or Capristo dp + factory muffler?

In mclarens, muffler does very little to the sound, its all about the dp, is this the case with the 488? Do people run catless DP and stock mufflers?

Thanks

21. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    I apologize for not being clear. The Capristo System comes with 3 variations

1) Stock Cats - Capristo Rear System
    2) Capristo High Flow Cats - Capristo Rear System
    3) Capristo Cat Replacement Pipes - Capristo Rear System

With is the order of Quietest to Loudest (1 being most quiet - 3 being the loudest). But with any of these 3 systems that you go with, you have the ability to go tone it down with the valves. HOWEVER the Valves on this do open under heavier throttle input. When the valves are closed it does eliminate a lot of the drone (that in options 2 & 3 - no drone present in option 1 most of the time).

Hope that helps and makes more sense! Feel free to reach out to us if you have any more questions at all :)

22. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Thanks Alex. What about a fourth variation with just catless downpipe and stock muffler? On the mclarens this is a popular way to go as after market mufflers do very little to enhance the sound of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    So we have done that a few times as well but personally it doesnt sound as good. What our clients have done in the past is go with the the following

1) Novitec Cat Replacement Pipes
    https://tagmotorsports.com/novitec-488-cat-replacement-pipe-catless
    2) Novitec Techtronic (Removes the Check Engine Lights)
    3) Stock Muffler
    4) Novitec Switchtronic (Exhaust Valve Control Module)
    https://tagmotorsports.com/novitec-488-switchtronic

This setup has worked well but some customers look for either a bit more turbo spool (which then they go with the Novitec Non-Valved Exhaust) or a bit more gargles and pops (with the Novitec Valved Exhaust).

Some good examples of what that would sort of sound like (when the valves are open).... (although these have the novitec rear mufflers - but you can get the idea....)

The Setup listed above really is a nice way to do it, it is deeper than ther other variations and you still retain valves (and its reasonably priced). We typically keep this on the shelf as well!

24. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It can be done DIY did mine about an hour's work

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

25. LittleLittleTiger

Jun 11, 2018
    UK
    Can anyone recommend a place for paint protection film based in London? Also for install a dashcam, please? Thanks,