Replaced 512TR started and still having some issues. Need thoughts | FerrariChat

Replaced 512TR started and still having some issues. Need thoughts

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by silvergts1998, Jul 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I just replaced my starter for my 512TR. I thought maybe I was having heat soaked issues like I read. Put the new starter in and it fires up fine. There are several times when I turn the key, I hear clicking from relays and nothing from the starter even when the car is cold. So I think it's an electrical issue. I did a few tests.

1. I turn the key to the on position. I made a jumper wired so I could connect the ignition/start from the solenoid to the battery post on the starter. Fires right up.

2. Turned the key to the on position and tested ignition/start lead with an inline electrical light probe. The probe lights up and reconnected the ignition/start lead back on the started. Nothing even though there's seems to be power.

I was taking with a friend of mine and he things it maybe something to do with the ignition switch.

So I've eliminated the starter being the issue, so what are some thoughts and suggestions? Remember the car does this hot or cold at times.

2. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Is there a cross reference part for an ignition switch for the Ferrari 512TR?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Before going after the ignition switch, you should, IMO, at a minimum, unplug/inspect/reseat the I and F white connectors on the fuse-relay panel -- the white wire going from the ignition switch terminal 50 to the starter solenoid passes thru the fuse-relay panel (to disable relay S during starter motor cranking). See dgt's post #15 here for the basic diagram of the white wire path (but it doesn't show the added jumper mentioned later):

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/starting.567708/#post-145779793

If you want to improve the starting reliability, add a jumper wire connecting the white wire in the I connector to the white wire in the F connector (while keeping them both connected to the fuse-relay panel). If you still have trouble, and the voltage on the white wire in the I connector is low during starting = that would justify going after the ignition switch.

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thank you Steve. I have some reading to do. I do remember at times when the car won't kick over, I pulled or wiggled the relays on the fuse panel and then the car would start when I turned the key. Sometimes it worked and sometimes not. Not sure if that's just coincident. I do have a questions when the key is in position 1 before one turns too position 2 to crank the engine should the lead wire have any current going to the solenoid at all in position 1? I know when I apply direct power to the ignition/starter connector on the starter from the battery post it turns right over. So I would think any voltage would do the same but at the same time if that was the case as soon as I turned the key to position 1 it would cause the starter to go right? Which I know that is not what I want. When you say "unplug/inspect/reseat the I and F white connectors on the fuse-relay panel" can you elaborate what you mean? What is I and F? Thanks you for taking the time to help Steve!

5. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I have the Dave Helms upgraded fuse panel also. I wonder if anyone has actually totally redone the fuse panel for the 512TR completely or redesigned instead of using the layered circuit boards?

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    "A", "B"..."J" are just the arbitrary names that Ferrari gave to the white connectors on the 512TR fuse relay panel. Post #53 in this thread has a shot of the 512TR schematic showing the fuse-relay panel with the white connectors labels:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/512tr-starter-problem-s.459558/page-3

Typically, they show this like you sitting inside the passenger compartment "looking thru" the fuse-relay panel so things are reversed left-to-right versus how they appear when standing at the front of the car. Also, from the placement and/or number of wires (e.g., one side has three vertical white connector, the other side only two), this can help figure out who's who. You could also just unplug/inspect/reconnect every white connector to make sure you get I and F. I and F will each have one terminal with a single, fairly-large white wire in it.

Yes, there will be a small current in the white wire going to the starter solenoid terminal 50 when the key is in the first "run" position related to operating relay S, but it is much too small a current to activate the starter solenoid.

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    For new fuse panels you can contact me : [email protected]
    I'll be happy to give you all the information you need to replace your OEM board.
    Also you can get them here :
    http://redbaycars.com/remanufactured/ferrari%20parts.html

Guido