308gt4 exhaust manifold removal - how | FerrariChat

308gt4 exhaust manifold removal - how

Discussion in '308/328' started by 3px19, Jul 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3px19

3px19 Karting

Aug 29, 2006
    I want to pull the engine to do head work...get rid of the sodium valves. And what I thought would be relatively easy appears otherwise.

I expect you have to pull both exhaust headers in order to pull the engine. If not please tell me how you go about it.

If the headers do have to be removed before engine pulling begets the question...How the hell do you get to the header nuts with the foolish heat shield on the headers. I would hate to think I have to destroy them. Don't know if the GTB/S guys are faced with the same problem.

Please help with any advice. the car is a 1979. If you want you may email me directly [email protected]

thanks

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    When ready to pull the motor. Disconnect the front one and leave it sit on the frame. When the rear is loose tip engine forward to remove. But remove the bracket that the engine arm mounts to also. Bye the mounts need to be removed half way up the engine pull

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Pm me your number. I'll talk u through it

miketuason likes this.
  4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My car is a GTS but basically got all of the nuts off that I could then when pulling the engine out it tilts towards the rear and I was able to get the last 3 or 4 nuts on the top of the 5-8 manifold from above.

As for the shrouds i later cut mine off, those abominations are not going back in.

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Gt4 is a lot different. The front is easy to remove the nuts. The rear is more difficult. A lot

Ferrarni likes this.
  6. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    absostone likes this.
  7. Ferrarni

Ferrarni Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Arnie
    Hi and TIA, 308GT4 owner here... I also want to pull my headers off BUT NOT REMOVE THE ENGINE. Noted that we shifted (pun intended) to an engine pull. Also noted a GT"S" is not the same as a GT4. Assuming (rutro) I will have to also remove right side fuel tank and MAYBE lower engine a bit for the front.

#2, read that if you pull the air injectors you have to cut/size the bolts that you put in the headers of they make funny noises. Details were vague and I am lost on this one. Any specs, thoughts or experience with these is really appreciated (plan on using male metric plugs).

For the curious..., my smog pump is frozen (car is a new to me purchase) and where I live I don't need to run it and create more heat.(yes, I will save the parts) I also want to clean up and ceramic coat the headers, pull the smog stuff, and I am aware of the shields being asbestos.

Love the members here, it's helped me with my 355 for a while now and now I learn the nuances of the GT4.

Any thoughts and help appreciated. Thanks again!

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look on u tube for a Wheeler Dealers video . Titled Fixing this ferrari exh is a much bigger job than expected. Very good explanation
    My initial search was wheeler dealers, ferrari 308gt4

Ferrarni likes this.
  9. Ferrarni

Ferrarni Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Arnie
    Thanks Mike, much appreciated.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    He talks with uk accent, hope u can understand it.

11. Ferrarni

Ferrarni Rookie

Nov 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Arnie
    English is my second language. He's "brilliant" a lovely chap, I say! Mike has a much heavier accent and thinks in quids and pounds. No problem listening to either but I prefer Edd. Not sure I learned anything though. Looks somewhat straight forward once you drain your gas tank and pull the tank, A/C and Alternator... Oh yeah, those pesky ASBESTOS shields... (for the next guy, )

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Nice reference, hadn't seen that episode. Thanks for posting!

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    There are a few videos on this car, other ones cover different work on the car, so more info on u tube.
    Let me know if u need uk to usa translation. Mind u i cant understand Trump either.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    On any 308, if you want to pull the front header, step 1 is to remove the right side gas tank.

BigTex likes this.
  15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, a couple of tips....the tank removal is one.

Also, drop all the engine mount bolts so you can raise the engine for better access to the exhaust studs.
    It isn't easy but doable.

My header had blown to pieces so it came out easily once access was there.

Ferrarni likes this.