Door frame corrosion | FerrariChat

Door frame corrosion

Discussion in '348/355' started by mshobe, Jul 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mshobe

mshobe Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Seattle-ish
    I spotted some corrosion on the inside of the driver's side door frame yesterday; see attached photo.

I suspect it's accumulated over years from water dripping down through the window seals, but I'm not sure. There is no matching spot on the passenger side.

My questions:
    • Anyone else have a similar issue?
    • Do you think this is the extent of it, or should I be looking more deeply within the entire door panel for more?
    • If this is all there is, should I assume I can't spread further unless I do a lot more rainy-day driving? This doesn't seem at all structural, but it's obviously something I'd rather not have the opportunity to spend money to fix. :cool:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Wow ......
    Can you take another picture and back it up a bit, I can’t tell exactly where on the car that is.
    The orange part looks a bit detached from the car, is it cracked (the metal) or does it appear to just be surface rust ?
    I would also investigate directly below this point to the bottom of the car.
    Water goes downhill so there might be other places that are hidden you can’t see.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Very easy fix. Fix it now before it spreads. Rust is like cancer....

mshobe likes this.
  4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yeah like they said address it now. use a corrosion stopper first. this metal is very sensitive to rusting. Something with that deep a spot takes a lot to stop not just a prime paint deal

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Grind to bare metal. Epoxy primer, filler, primer, finish coat. If the metal is too far gone you may have to have to cut it out and weld a new piece in. Have a pro look at it. As has been said, if it isn't dome right it will just get worse and you won't see it under the repair. As they say, do it once, do it right.

alexjack and mshobe like this.
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I been waitin on this hear day LOL

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I;m a pollack I laugh at myself everyday, better then coffee LOL :)

9. mshobe

mshobe Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Seattle-ish
    Orange part is tobacco leather door panel - the photo is odd but it's properly attached in actuality, no cracks.

I will definitely inspect the bottom now for more corrosion - water will indeed flow down to the lowest point it can reach and that's just more metal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

10. tatry68

tatry68 Karting

Oct 27, 2013
    Chicago Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I"m one too and I say that if you can't laugh at yourself, you shouldn't laugh at anyone else

SoCal1 likes this.
  11. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    If I am looking at this right, its the top rear of the door on the inside edge of the door itself next to the leather door panel. The rubber above this area covers the gloss black triangular window guide. The rubber should lap over the OUTSIDE of the metal, NOT the inside or it will be prone to leak water into the door. This is what may be at fault here. Check out the rubber and be sure it properly counterflashes over the metal.

12. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Just get on it with a very stiff rotary wire brush hit it with some Rust Converter which by the way turns black and then paint it with some black and you're done.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Stan from Chicago LOL I could have guessed

I'll look you up next time I'm in Chicago to find good food :)