What's my car worth? | FerrariChat

What's my car worth?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by billh1963, Jul 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Not the television program, but, I would like to know an approximate value of my car.

I'm thinking of selling my 1988 Mondial coupe. The car has a clean title. However, at some point in the past it received a salvage title due to a repossession and lost title. Someone on this forum related the story and now I can't find their info. Maybe they'll chime in.

Anyway, the car has 45,507 miles after a drive this morning. From what I can tell the car has never been hit and has not had any paint work. Everything works except the glove compartment door does not open. I have not tried to open it so who knows what treasures lie within...lol

Karl Troy did an engine out major (over $10K) in December 2014 and rebuilt the clutch hydraulics in April 2016. New Michelins mounted 2014. I have a number of receipts going back 20+ years.

This car can be driven anywhere at any time. Excellent oil pressure, runs cool with no cooling issues.

Why am I selling? I've owned the car for four years and it's time for something new.

Thoughts on value?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan and paulchua like this.
  2. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Not sure on value, but maybe the lost title is one of the treasures in the glove box that won’t open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua and Wade like this.
  3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    3.2 coupes are relatively rare. The salvage title/carfax issue shouldn't be that much of ding if you have docs to prove it was not an actual accident, theft or flood. A simple lost title should not throw a salvage/brand on the title on by itself.

paulchua and gsfent like this.
  4. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I'm hoping the PO will chime in. Apparently, in 1990 or so the car was repossessed. From what I remember of the story, during the subsequent sale, retitling, repo, etc. the original title was lost. A new title was applied for. Somehow, that title was branded. I really don't believe the car was ever hit...it's super straight.

What's funny is my old blue car (that was posted a few months ago) had been hit and had a salvage title. That didn't seem to keep the dealer from wanting a fortune for it....:eek:

paulchua likes this.
  5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    A "worth" is what you need for insurance policies. So I'd say $50k for a condition 1 1988 3.2 Coupe. Maybe add $3k because it's black. :)

A realistic value (asking price), as of today, on an 3.2 Coupe? Condition 1 = $45k, Condition 2 = $37K

If I were selling one today? Condition 1 = $55k, Condition 2 = $51k

On cars as rare as these, a salvage title means nothing to me. But for others, a PPI on the same by a Mondial expert means everything.

paulchua likes this.
  6. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Have the same issue on my car. It *sometimes* will open if I repeatedly press the switch, very quickly. All of a sudden, it pops open! No treasures hiding in there, for me! LOL

7. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    Boy, am I glad I bought mine from someone who wasn't asking that much a while back!

But seriously, thses cars are a great value at today's prices. Most people overlook how truly wonderful the Mondial is.

And they are exceptional in the black/red combo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua, moysiuan and Wade like this.
  8. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    One of my favorite color combinations in almost any car. Not always easy to find, especially in Ferraris.

paulchua and decardona like this.
  9. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Your old blue car is still for sale as far as I can tell. I reached out to the seller mid-June while I was out in LA to take a look at it and it was still for sale then. So, it's been on the market for quite a while now. Although it's had some work done on it since it was in your ownership, I don't anticipate that it's going to bring what the current seller is asking for it.

Perhaps it would be worth documenting as much of the information that you can about your black car, having professional pictures taken of it, and put it out on BaT to see what it would bring. My personal opinion is sub $30K, but I could be way off...

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  10. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Oh, and the stance and red interior look fantastic on your car!

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    ;)

My pricing is based on "make me sell" if I had one like yours. But then, now's not really the time.

Good and great Mondials will soon become even more rare than they are already. And with the price of parts, service and maintenance continuing to rise it won't be long before "neglected" and mediocre cars will go the way of the salvager. Sad to say.

paulchua and decardona like this.
  12. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    I agree with you. A good/great Mondial is a hard to find item, and I was lucky to have gotten one from someone who appreciated and was passionate about it. It really is a gem of a vehicle. The more I drive it, the more I enjoy it. :D

paulchua likes this.
  13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Getting any bites Bill?

14. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Are you sure it's a "salvage" title?

Here in Tx, if you buy a car that doesn't have a title -- due to previous owner loosing it, you get a "Bonded" title. Not a salvage title.

Bonded just means you have to put up some money (to the state DPS) for a couple of years, in case the car comes back stolen.

Once the period is over (I can't remember the term -- something between 1 and 3 years), you get a clean TX title.

Sid

15. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    A couple inquiries

16. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    I would have to look at the carfax again and see how it's worded. It's clear now and has been for a while. I don't know when the title "cleared"