My Mondial has moved on | FerrariChat

My Mondial has moved on

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by PV Dirk, May 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I was thinking the other day that many folks here may not know who I am, but for the old timers I wanted to give a heads up. My 9 year Ferrari experience has been fantastic, I've done everything I ever dreamed of doing with my car except for two things. 1. Own it forever. 2. Take the odometer to 100,000 miles.

I am very happy to report that the new owner has committed to me to take it to the 100,000 miles for me. He reached out to me through this forum (car was never officially listed) when he saw my ruminations about moving on. There were gaps of communication for weeks if not over a month at times due to my inactivity here. He stuck with me and yesterday we met and over lunch had a gentlemens conversation where we came to an arrangement by which the car would become his. His story and plans are great but it is his story and I will leave that to him if he wishes to share.

I feel that I was truly blessed by the Ferrari gods, and for the record I purchased the car at 48,XXX miles and sold it with 72,XXX miles. The car had two services in my time and the car never left me stranded. I did lots of little repairs to keep the car in top shape and never had a failure. Per my records it's on the original clutch and I think the new owner is onboard with trying to get the original to 100K miles.

I never had a problem with the factory fuse panel but but the A/C was inop my whole ownership. I also had two sets of the original folding keys, I never made a flat key to use, I used the factory keys during my whole ownership and they are as good as the day I purchased the car.

I sold the car with some needs that are known to the new owner but I think our agreement leaves us both happy with the result. He has a car with records almost to the beginning. Original tools and books, both sets of keys. We all know the value of the bits and pieces but he is the right man buying for the right reason and I was happy to pass the car forward like a family member that was moving to a new location.

I wish the owner many years of the Ferrari dream and hope the car treats him as good as it treated me.

Finally I want to say thank you to all those that assisted in my journey. I want to put out a thanks to Jay for putting together Mondipalooza, I still have the hat and magnet. :) Also a shout out to all the shop owners that I worked with over the years. A good Ferrari mechanic is like a psychologist for your car and they have a special personality. And thanks to the last shop that said they would hire me based on the condition of my car based on the PPI. That is a credit to the patience the car taught me and all the assistance I got from this group.

I'm sure I'll be dropping in from time to time.

Cheers and may you all drive many miles in good health!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

davemqv, paulchua, jgoodman and 6 others like this.
  2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Dirk, she looks great! Was great meeting you and the rest of the Mondial crew 5!! quick years ago.
    You have been a great steward of your Mondial. Put on many miles, and smiles.
    Memories to last a lifetime.
    Im sure its bittersweet. Please keep posting. Always enjoyed your stories.

3. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Great job PV, see you next time I’m in a Phx!!

Temple

paulchua likes this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congratulations to both you and the new owner!! Wishing the both of you many miles of future happiness

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Indeed! :) You need to be patience with Italian girls, else they will have a mind of their own.

Have a good one Dirk and if you happen to be in on this side of the ocean and in the low lands let me know, but you know this already!

Have fun with you next mechanical journey and keep it safe!
    All the best, Tijn

paulchua likes this.
  6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Thanks buddy. Mondipalooza will always have a special place in my heart. You and the other owners with whom I had the pleasure of meeting that long weekend are a very special crew of warm, intelligent and inspirational people. Your Mondial adventures were supremely admirable and you With your Mondi will be greatly missed!

paulchua likes this.
  7. Cariott

Cariott Rookie

Jan 26, 2018
    Tempe, AZ
    Full Name:
    Scott Oxman
    I would like to introduce myself as the "very" proud owner of Dirks Mondial. I believe Dirks blessed experience with this wonderful car has and will continue and has been transferred to me along with its title... It is the exact car I was looking for, and was only 10 miles away. If it was newer, with less mileage, or in perfect condition, it would have been beyond my reach. It has some issues that I will address, some of which I will attempt on my own ( I will be posting questions as they come up), but for now, I am going to enjoy driving it as is. The Mondial is such an enjoyable car to drive - and for my 3 boys age 6-9, their ear to ear grins confirm that the back seat is just as enjoyable. When I started looking at this model, this forum was invaluable for research and as a general gauge of the market. Thank you for all of you Mondial owners that post, I am looking forward to being an active member. Scott

P.S. If I don't get a response, I will post this question in the correct section. Dirk past along some cassette tape fins, which I would like to use. I still have my collection from high school... I can not figure out where they go. The center console isn't deep enough, perhaps the ash tray??? Thanks

paulchua and gsfent like this.
  8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The cassette fins fit in the small box in between the front seats , under the small lid in the centre console.

Have fun with the car!

paulchua likes this.
  9. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Congratulations, Mondials are very nice cars! I wish you and your family a lot of happy miles!

paulchua likes this.
  10. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Congrats Scott! They are wonderful cars and having Dirk's Mondial you have one of the better ones that are for sale!
    The cassette fins go into the box like Stekkefun4 already mentioned. When you open the box you will see some small holes on each side. This is where you click them in. It speaks for itself actually when you see it. The cassettes go in without the jewel case.

Have fun and safe miles!

paulchua likes this.
  11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Welcome Scott!

paulchua likes this.
  12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    PV, I had great fun reading your travelogues and had many great Mondial trips myself. Your crowning achievement was driving from Baton Rouge to either British Columbia or Alaska, which is one hell of a trip.
    When you recently had a child, your Mondial enthusiasm seemed to take a back seat (pun intended), and that exemplifies good priorities.
    What kind of wheels are you getting? Hope it's not the Griswold Family Truckster!!

paulchua likes this.
  13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
  14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Hi All, great to see the kind comments in here. My dad gave me a 1988 IROC Camaro convertible. I swapped out one 80's V8 manual transmission for another. It's a totally different animal and not a good car ;). It is actually quite poor as cars go but it's a real hoot to drive. I'm also maintaining a fantasy of buying a 1975 Porsche 914 that a buddy has had since 1989 and hasn't been on the road in about 15 years. It's in very nice driver quality. It may never happen but that is my flavor of the day. The truth is that the Mondial money is probably going into a new A/C system on the house and maybe some concrete for a patio out back. No regrets. I'm so happy that the Mondial found the right home. These cars reward those who drive them the most. I have also discovered that I retained the most valuable part of the car during the sale, the memories. Thankfully Scott is building his own collection already. Cheers!

gsfent likes this.
  15. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Jeka likes this.
  16. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    That Camaro looks to be in great shape! Is it a factory soft top?

17. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Factory designated convertible. They had a unique vin code but were sent to I believe ASC for the conversion. All the convertibles of this generation were done off site. So factory authorized. Before they started the factory authorized convertibles there were several firms that modified the car.