Rental 488 review | FerrariChat

Rental 488 review

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by azlin75, Jul 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I picked up my rental 488 spider this morning in and we spent just over 7 hours driving to and fro. Having driven the California the most of any other modern Ferrari I’ll be mostly comparing the 2. Let me also add that I really wanted the 458 rental however it was unavailable. I only drove the 488 in sport mode and kept a lot of the speed trials to a minimum since this trip is with my 10 year old daughter who is also into cars and my car buddy. Some of you may remember the post I made on Christmas about the card she gave me for Christmas with the 200 bucks for a Ferrari!

First thing I notice right out of the box is it’s a bit harder to get into then the California in a parking spot, especially if some retard parks right next to you though neither is easy to get into with someone parked close. I also believe this rental didn’t have upgraded seats, which was fine for me as they seemed only slightly less comfortable then the Daytona seats I had in the California I rented.

There is no comparison in the power department, holy cow. This car could get you in serious trouble really quickly. However like the California it was easy to keep at legal speeds however the 488 wants to go way faster all the time you can just feel it. Oh and in comparison to the California T the exaust note was just fine and far more noticeable on the 488, I only remember a few times I heard the exaust open up on the California T we had.

The infotainment on the 488 was really nice, and easy to use. I had my phone paired in less then a minute. And even though I generally never turn the stereo on I was informed that my daughter in fact likes music and the exaust was not the only tunes I would be enjoying this trip! The cars sound system worked really well and sounded pretty darn good. I was pretty impressed. Certainly a sound system I could live with and not feel like I was cheated.

The 488 handled much better then the california, and you certainly can feel every bump in the 488. My daughter made the comment and I agree that it feels really low, but it easily cleared all the speed bumps I had to drive over. Did I mention it is extremely easy to haul a** in this car?

Overall I like this car, but it’s far exceeds my imposed budget by a lot and my wife bless her heart doesn’t like the 488 as we’ve already looked at one and already nixed the idea. However my daughter loves it, I asked her if we would buy one and her reply was nope get 2 cause I need one!!
    View attachment 2427282

2. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Aside from the price(?), what did your wife not like about the 488?

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice review, Az! Enjoy the car and the time with your daughter...T

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Not sure but she got in and right back out and wouldn’t even ride in it. This was about 6 months or so ago and she hasn’t changed her mind.

I’ll post photos once I get home, for some reason it’s not letting me do it from my phone

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Oh
    and she loves the California, I think it’s how low it sets and how wide the sill area is but I’m not sure. She also likes the Maserati Granturismo. I have to say honestly the California suits all my needs really and has plenty of power. But with all that being said the 488 was pure joy to drive today. Matter of fact we are getting up early to drive up and down the strip early while it isn’t busy in the morning

6. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    I think you are set on the California. :)
    Any Ferrari you buy will put a smile on your face everytime you see it.

Melvok likes this.
  7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I do like the California, but I can’t find really anything bad to say about the 488. Also it’s hard to really shop for anything else when your wife is so against it. But I’m really glad we rented the 488. I liked it way more then i thought I would.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    There will soon be plenty cheap Cali's for sale when the Portofino gets there ...

9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I suspect you are correct, as the portofino has been accepted much better then the California was which is sad as it is a very nice GT car.

10. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    I think the reason the Potofino was accepted with more enthusiasm is because it looks much more aggressive and sporty.
    The California is a great car but honestly it doesn't shout Ferrari at me and it doesn't excite me. And that's something I expect of a Ferrari.
    I think Ferrari realized it and addressed it with the Potofino.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The Lusso T might work well for the wife and then you can also drive around your daughter at the same time.

12. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’ve been trying to not let her see the lusso since I have room for one more car and she would probably insist on that. I’m not saying the lusso is a bad car but if I had a choice between a California and a Lusso I’d choose the California. But that is my personal opinion, the lusso just reminds me too much of a station wagon.

13. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    The baddest station wagon on the planet.. .

14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Can’t dispute that, however while I like everything from the doors forward I’m not a wagon guy. BUT I will say that I looked at an FF at the rental place today along with a mclaren and the interior is quite nice and rear seats roomy in the FF

15. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I have both and the Lusso T is much more fun to drive because of the larger engine and more torque. And the added plus when dirinvg is you don’t see the car, lol. But seriously, some people really love the look. I’d say I’m more resigned to it than in love. It’s unique. If you call a woman unique is she offended?

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Finally home and can upload a few photos. One other thing to note is I always hated red interiors, after spending a day in this car it’s still not my favorite but the black read interior didn’t bother me too bad.

Attached Files:

tomc likes this.
  17. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
  18. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    They have places that rent Ferrari's in Alaska? o_O

19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    No, I rented the car in Las Vegas. But for some reason alot of the cars they had for rent were tagged in different states. The Califonia T I rented was tagged in Hawaii, and I seen other cars they had tagged in Arizona and some in Nevada. Im sure other cars were tagged else where I just noticed those. And apparently its a common practice since other rental agencies there had cars tagged in other states as well as I saw an Aston Martin from another agency tagged in New York.