I'm lucky. | FerrariChat

I'm lucky.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Texas Forever, Jul 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The odds of me ever owning a vintage Ferrari again are the same as dividing by zero. It ain't gonna happen. However, I consider myself lucky. I was at Laguna in 2004 when almost all the GTOs in the world were on the track. I also had the fortune of being involved in the 2005 Historics at Mt. Trembault. (Thank you, Dave S.) Truly unbelievable. Talking to Ms. Walton and telling her it is important to let go of the wheel before hitting a wall, priceless. I'm also fortunate to have owned #9881 for a short period of time. I'm very fortunate for knowing Malcolm who may be one of the very last dinosaurs who believes in driving these cars.

I'm also lucky because I suspect in the future these Ferraris are going to end up in a tree museum.

Crank it up.

peterp and mcimino like this.
  2. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    I count myself lucky as well, Dale- based on the experiences I've had in the Vintage world.
    Doubly so because as a kid my mom played Joni's albums all the time.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Anyone who has owned any Ferrari at any time is pretty lucky in my opinion. It's an awesome experience and the enjoyment, for true enthusiasts at least, has nothing to do with materialism.

Also awesome performance from Joni Mitchell -- haven't heard her in many years and this particular performance is amazing. I listened to it three times so far while I work. The way she scoops those low notes in Big Yellow Taxi is magic. You don't often see "Joni Mitchell" and "crank it up" in the same sentence, but it is appropriate and necessary in this case.

mcimino, cmt6891 and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    My life has been nothing but lucky! I was born a white guy in what many consider the best nation, and my Mom moved me here to SoCal to live in what many consider the best part of the best nation. I got through 3 years in the Army during "the good war", without ever getting shot at. Then the G.I. Bill paid most of my tuition in law school. I have three great sons, and a great wife who doesn't complain about the terrible disease (Parkinson's) that has disabled her. And I've had around 130 of what are now called vintage Ferraris during the best time to own them. That I didn't hang on to one or two can be chalked up to my own stupidity. That ownership has brought me you, my friends. Maybe that's the best part. Thank you!

kerrari, furoni, Nembo1777 and 7 others like this.
  5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Dale, I just drove my 365GT 400 miles this weekend, to a concours and back. In the parking lot at the concours (not on display, or anything, just the public parking lot) was a slightly scruffy looking yellow 330GTC. So someone is driving these cars!

Ed-- you are my hero!

6. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I thought I had the only scruffy looking yellow GTC!!!
    Bob Z.

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ed wonderful post, grazie.

To those who talk about non driving and concours only use for your information at Le Mans Classic this weekend there were 135000 people 700 cars yes seven hundred in the races and demos and in the club areas and all around the circuit in the villages, country lanes, campgrounds there were more than 8000 classic cars yes eight thousand including hundreds of Ferraris and dozens of classic Ferraris all being driven several hundred miles from all over Europe and the UK to Le Mans and back. Forget concours, find your local twisty traffic free back roads and go drive your heart out!:)

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I never had, and never drove a Ferrari, but i still haven't given up on that, but the simple fact of admiring those red cars, and cheering for them at every race makes my day better!

Rossocorsa1, peterp and Texas Forever like this.