360: By the Year Differences | FerrariChat

360: By the Year Differences

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eggman, Jul 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eggman

Eggman Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Full Name:
    Mr. P
    Hello, all.

What are the differences by year with the 360 by version (couple vs. convertible), if any?
    I know there is a difference with the 99's, but can't find a definitive answer other than that one year.
    Is it a case of "buy the newest you can afford"?

Thanks everyone.
    Eggman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Arguably the correct answer to your question is none because any changes were not introduced at MY changes

I would be most surprised if any changes are not described in the buyers guide sticky thread

3. Eggman

Eggman Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Full Name:
    Mr. P
    All - I found some information. Not sure if this is everything, but a good list.

Ferrari 360 Model Year Changes

1999 was the introductory year for the Ferrari 360 Modena in the United States. MSRP was around the $150k range but varied greatly as each car was loaded with different options. These cars did not have pre-cats in the headers. This was a plus for many as not only were these cars rumored to be faster, but also not subject to pre-cat failures that could cause engine failure. HID xenon headlights were an option so you may see a few 360’s out there with halogen headlights.

In 2000, Ferrari added the pre-cats to the headers for emissions standards. The Spider was added to the lineup with an MSRP of roughly $175k.

HID xenon headlights became standard. Both the variator and starter ring gear issues were fixed for this year.

New A-Arms were introduced to fix the ball joint issue. The 2002 360’s also let you upgrade the TCU to 2003 or Challenge Stradale spec. By this year, all major and minor have been resolved.

2003 model 360’s had an all new TCU software update that allowed the dealer to manually set the PIS (point of initial slip) for clutch engagement. This TCU was compatible for older models but only the 2002.

In 2004, Ferrari released the ultimate 360 Modena: the Challenge Stradale. The formula for quite simple: less weight and more power. There is no official count for number of Challenge Stradales made, but several reports of 1200 cars sold worldwide and a rumored ~378 for the North American market.

Reference: http://www.exoticcarhacks.com/car-reviews/ferrari-360-modena-buyers-guide/

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Thats a great answer! So in other words newer models can’t be upgraded to a tcu from a stradale if i read properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    They all can and many have been. In fact, the last standard TCU released was released after the CS TCU.

You will find that most cars, if they are reasonably taken care of, have had all of the major issues updated. SO, year matters much less than how well it has been kept up. I could go as far as to say that year has little bearing on the result for a 17 year old car.

Oengus likes this.
  6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I have to say (not to start an 3 pedal vs. F1 debate--again) but my '03 F1 shifts are incredible. I've never driven a pre- 2003 F1 car so I have nothing to compare it to... but I have a hard time imagining how the F1 could be better than it is in my car. One of the reasons I searched for an '03 or '04. FWIW

shawdut likes this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I agree but the transaxle didn't change so any of them will shift like that if you updated the TCU for ~$1200 including labor and many have been updated.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This. I *suspected* that mine had alot of work done to it in the past. And sure enough.. when I did the clutch a few months back the ring gear was upgraded to 6 bolt. I think at this point that most of the updates have been done. One owner in the cars past (unless 1 owner cars respectively) must have said "have all the campaigns and updates been done to this car before I buy it?"...

9. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Was it 2003 that the Spiders got the access port to the fuel pumps (but of course not rhe rollover valves which are what usually fail first).

10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I just dismantled an 01 Spider and it had the plates you can remove from the roof tray to pull the pumps so if that’s what you’re talking about I would guess it must have been implemented pretty early in production.

11. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Another major improvement not noted in the list Chris mentioned:

"Early Spiders have no access to engine-compartment subframe attachment bolts, and so require more labor for many types of routine service. The top was redesigned at assembly #41464 to remedy the problem"

So in this case newer is better

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Noticeable differences, from my hands on experience, please note that these difference doesn't include challenge stradale. and I serviced hard top only, I've never touched any convertible. Please also note that I am not 100% sure i am correct, although i am 90% sure.

1. horns are different on later cars. supposedly better ? i can't hear any difference.
    2. back of engine intake manifold(red), there are 2 vacuum hoses. Each hose is subsequently connected to another hose and another hose and lots of connections between the vacuum port on intake manifold(red) to the brake booster. The shape of these hoses is changed on later years.
    3. early 360's timing cover has a little washer "under" the cover.
    4. on euro version cars only: carbon canister has 3 holes for early years, 4 holes later. consequently, there is one more valve added to the evap system.
    5. spark plug was replaced with another spec. at least the ngk's part number is different.
    6. door tie rod. The thing that gives you the "threshold opening" thing. im not sure how to describe it , pardon my english as a 2nd language, but the attachment method is different . And i can't recall how different. but they are.
    7 . there's a red lamp on each door ( for safety) the lamp's fixing clip is of a different mechanism on later cars.
    8. fuel pump's fuel indicator lever was replaced with an odd shaped thing, compared to rounded cylinder like thing in early years.

9. right hand fuel tank has 1 more hole on it to accomodate a pressure sensor on later years's cars.
    10. the fuel tanks are connected on top by an aluminum pipe. the shape was changed on later years. to what end? i dont know
    11. my 2000's fuel tank mouth (the place where you put gas nozzle in) 's construction was modified a little bit. all other years are the same. looks like a failed experimentation by ferrari.
    12. later dome time piece's button are sticking out and early are recessed!!! i love the sticking so much and i hate the recess early ones as i can't adjust the time with my big fingers.
    13. there's a bracket that support the clutch position sensor and another small connector i can't remember. The bracket was secured to the gearbox by a bolt on later cars , early cars have a stud coming out of the gearbox and a nut is used to secure the bracket.
    14. as in "13", the stickshift 360's gear change control block (just outside the open area on rh side of the gearbox. It is the counterpart of the f1 version's f1 actuator) was attached to the gearbox by studs and nuts on early 360s, later they changed it to bolts.
    15. as in "13" and "14". The half shaft has a protector above it. The protector was secured to the gearbox by 3 studs and nuts in later 360s, early on they use bolts.
    16. as in "13" and "14" and "15". there's a bracket that support the f1 fluid hoses. The bracket is secured by 3 studs to gearbox on later cars. Early they have bolts. ( or the other way around? I can't remember, but they are different)
    17. windshield wiper ecu under dash: they get it installed vertically in later cars! holy smoke......what difference does that make. scratching my head. ( no, its not that previous owner installed it incorrectly)
    18. there are 2 hoses coming out of the power steering reservoir, hose A and hose B. Hose A is modified somehow on later years car. As I observe it, A is made of 2 hoses coupled together. later cars has 1 single hose and the connection was eliminated. Hose B was intact throughout the years.
    19. on f1 cars, the throw out bearing has a magnet attached to it. The magnet is railed along inside of a plastic housing. This housing was modified on later years. so does the "stop bolt"'s length ( for the throw out bearing.)
    20. steering lower column has a spring or something weird on early 360s, later it becomes a ring nut or something. im not sure on this one, but they are definitely different as I served both version in dark with a small flash light and some gymnastic position.
    21. there's a small compressor's bracket, early car and later car have small difference on shape, very small, you can't notice it if you don't remove it and compare in close examination.
    22. there's a missing cable inside the door on later car. I supposed the function is achieved electronically. I am not sure on this one.
    23. the ECU bracket are different on later cars. different shape.
    24. oil disarestor (spelling? the big hole where you pour engine oil in) was modified to a better shape to fix some small issue, im not sure what the issue is.
    also they add a little fixing clip to the oil cap , lest it will unscrew during hard racing!
    25. engine bay side panels. early cars have flat panels. later car has a guide that guide rains i guess.
    26. engine mount area is different. washers and other shapes, hard to describe.
    27. when you removed the timing belt, the front of the engine , there's some brackets and threaded holes, one of the bracket, i forgot, maybe the timing belt tensioner pulley nut bracket. That bracket is made of 2 pieces on early cars. 1 piece on later cars.

brookliner7 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    2400 put a good list but as you can see, it is really minor stuff and most has no impact whatsoever.

This is true but only on the very earliest cars; AND some have been modified over the years to enable access. There are very few services that require removal of the top mechanism, clutch is one of them. To imply that these are common services is misleading. For example: my top has been out twice in 13 years and once was because I wanted to replace the variators (not routine in any way shape or form).

14. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I was told by a mechanic that even for the cam cover gaskets the subframe has to come off for access.

That quote came from Forza in their "360 Buyers Guide"

15. Blue360

Blue360 Rookie

Jan 31, 2010
    Newport Beach
    Shifting program changed for 2003 and 2004 to reduce bucking on take off

For 2005 they redid the program again making the shifts super soft

16. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
    Are the access panels for engine-compartment subframe attachment bolts the same as access to the top of fuel tank for fuel pump replacement?

Is there a way to correlate assembly #41464 to a VIN? I recently looked at a 2001 spider and I forgot to check for the presence of the access panels beneath the top. Working with the owner now to get it into a shop for a PPI, so I can ask the shop about it but would be better to know sooner than later. Could that be a deal breaker? I heard rollover valves and fuel pumps are common issues and are pretty cheap, unless you have to pay 10 hours labor just to remove the spider top cassette first to get access to the top of the fuel tanks.

17. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    For the rollover valves you still have to remove the top and apparently they fail more regularly than the pumps.

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    AND you can swap the tray if it isn't the newer model tray. The cost is fairly low.

19. artsd

artsd Formula Junior
    Owner

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    Art
  20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

and to add one more difference I recently found:

F1 oil pipe from clutch solenoid to clutch bleeding point.

I am not sure if early ones have the out layer in cloth or the later ones do.

also the part number never change.

21. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    So assembly #41464 is >= late 2004, correct?

22. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    I just bought a 2001 spider (gated) and it is assembly 41476.

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    The main power cable from alternator to engine can fail with corrosion. Mine gave out last summer and took the alternator with it or vice versa. The upgrade part has a new crimp on the connector that is more hearty. Sad thing is, the whole cable has to come out if it's burned too far, and that is easy to do, happens fast. When I had mine done, the old cable broke the oil pressure sender on top of the transmission housing where it crosses up and over from the alternator side. Someone probably forgot about or did not see where it went and pulled without looking. I had to wait another week and missed the Tutto show last year. They did tell me about the brake issue but I just finished fixing it myself ;) Also check transmission mounts and ball joints. But these can be considered wear items, not changes. The Hill upgrades are the real solution. Mine is a 2004 Spider.

24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    AN 41464 is way earlier than 2004. My 52428 is Nov 2003.

25. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred