Self made door speaker cover | FerrariChat

Self made door speaker cover

Discussion in '308/328' started by magnum, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    #1 magnum, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As my door speakers covers were not original, I've decided to do new ones by myself.

And here's the result. A perfect match with the original ones, with the right colour!

100% craftmanship. I've bought the leather -not vinyl, real leather-, made the holes, trimmed the shape, painted with Leatherique and glued to the door.

If you want to buy one original leather cover, prepare more than 100 bucks...

And I can make a run if you need them, but I need some time...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Very Nice!!!!! You've got talent.

3. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #3 i-velocita, May 17, 2013
  4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Wow! Beautiful match.

You have me thinking now: I am trying to decide what to do with my doors which have large aftermarket speakers installed by the previous owner. Hummm...

5. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Thank you for the shots Jim! These are excellent to see the original part. Mines don't have the cardboard baking, only leather. Good to know it.

And yes, they are hand punched; only one hole punched each time...But it worth the effort.

6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Do perforated leather speaker grilles muffle the sound much? I am on the path too for getting leather speaker grilles handpunched. Another option for me is to mount the black mesh grilles that come with new speakers. Comments?

7. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    #7 Dino246gt, May 27, 2013
    Mine came with black round plastic covers and when I removed them, well the original leather was destroyed. I ordered all new leather door panels but they came with no speaker grill, AND the aluminum panel behind the lower door panel was cut up to fit bigger speakers! My upholstery man replicated originals much the same way you did, and removed the speakers, and radio, so my door panels look as new, no speakers behind the holes though!

8. 4REGT4

4REGT4 Karting

Aug 25, 2006
    It's primarily bad for the tweeter frequency range to get through the perforated leather. A coaxial speaker behind the perforated leather sounds quite muffled compared to a component system with the tweeter mounted elsewhere (as a 328). May be possible to use the window crank hole to mount a component tweeter for a daily driver (no damage to the door panel necessary).

9. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Nice looking! The colour is beautiful. And the speakers cover are OK.
    With a V8 sound, we don't need CD music!!!

10. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Remove those speakers and install the original covers! And forget the sound system. You have a beautiful V8 sound system at the back!

Brian, me too I've a 1983 US 308 GTS QV!

11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Hi Antonio,

Yeah, I know. This is my third sports car and I almost never listened to the stereos in any of them. The Ferrari is a bit different; the first owner (I am the second) put in a fancy stereo; subwoofer, amps in the trunk, Bluetooth, etc. Although it is reversible, I figure it is a shame to rip it out. I have the separate tweeters in the window crank holes.

I must complement you on your exquisite taste in 308s. Everyone knows that the 1983 version is the best. ;-)

12. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Hi Magnum,

I know this is a really old thread, but do you have the hole diameter and spacing for the covers? I need to make up a set to get rid of the crappy speakers that the PO installed.

Thanks so much,

Franny

13. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What measurements did you end up using? Specially speaker cover holes (small perforated ones).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Someday when I re-do the interior, I'll actually put something more "free-flowing" for sound in place of the leather covers. But I want them to look nice, and not put the default round ones in.

A previous owner had put Boston Acoustic tweeters in the holes for the window crank, and that's nice, but these days I wish I had access to that crank, particularly on the passenger side! I just need to re-do the periodic work to get the window motors working properly again....

15. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Thomas Magnum likes this.