Speaker grill hole size and spacing | FerrariChat

Speaker grill hole size and spacing

Discussion in '308/328' started by FrannyB, Feb 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Hi All,

I need to reproduce my door speaker "grills" on my '85 Euro. I have a place that can fabricate them out of the correct leather, but I need the dimensions... What would be great would be the full size of the piece glued to the back of the door card, the hole size, and the spacing.

Thanks so much!

Franny

2. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Yes, thank you. I posted to the end of that one too ;)

I just can't seem to find out the measurements. I could probably scale it and get close enough, but I was going maybe someone would be nice enough to actually measure it on their original car. I am going to have a place fabricate it for me, but the only sample they have is from a 246.

Thanks, Franny

3. 455Fosbery

455Fosbery Karting

Oct 3, 2013
    A couple of comments...

If you want total originality:
    - You should be able to determine the dimension by measuring the back of the door skin
    - Not sure, but it would appear that there are two pieces of door skin material at that point such that the cover material actually fits between them (as opposed to being stuck on the back). I could have this totally wrong, as I have a thin cloth material that was stretched across the opening and is held taught between the door skin pieces (I am not the original owner).
    - Assuming that the original for your year model was leather with holes drilled, then it is a case of finding the dimensions and spacing of this matrix of holes... Sorry that I cannot be of assistance in this.

There has been a lot of discussion on stereos, speakers, etc. and I am in the process of re-doing mine. If leather with holes drilled is used as a speaker cover, then you are pretty-much muffling any sound coming out!

Judging by the comments from other threads, I think that most owners would rather their speakers be totally muffled as any sound they produce has a negative impact on the signal to noise ratio of the exhaust and engine sounds.

Best,

John.

4. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    #6 FrannyB, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks everyone,

I scaled the photo from the other post. I think it is pretty close. I am having Re-Originals cutting an replacement from the correct piece of leather.

I will put some kind of speaker behind it and I have a vintage Alpine deck to install, but I never listen to the radio/music in the car. I swear I can't really focus on music and driving at the same time :)

I'll report back when I get the replacement piece back. Oh, BTW, they can also reproduce the window crank hole covers too.

Once I get them installed, I'll have a leather repair guy I use come back out and fix the speaker damage and unify the color if necessary.

For now, I have a piece of black foam back there as I just couldn't stand those crappy round speakers anymore!

Thanks,

Franny
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

thorn likes this.
  5. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    #7 FrannyB, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Nicely done, that's a huge improvement!

Do you have a graphic that shows the finalized hole placement?

Thanks...Jim

7. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Hi Jim,

Just the dimensions above... I think I bonded some thick paper to the back and laid the lines and punched at the intersections. It was a bit of a pain because in order to get to the center holes, I had to roll the piece a bit. So, you don't want anything too stiff.

What was more difficult was to get rid of the round marks in the carpet from the speaker grill. I took what looks like a dental pick and just combed through all the collapsed fibers until I got them to stand up again. It took a few tries to get the majority to go away.

Oh, the right and left are mirror images... Just a little FYI there...

Franny

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Franny you did a wonderfull job. Those sound system guys always destroy cars interiors I allways hated them.

9. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Thanks! They drilled through the leather in two places in each door that I had to have filled. Since I had the door cards off I had them sprayed so the color would match completely...

10. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Franny...curious, where did you get your leather? Did you just use a regular leather hole punch?

11. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Sorry! This is super old, but I didn't see your reply :( I got the leather from an upholstery shop and bought a good leather hole punch off Amazon I think. After I was all done, I had the door cards re-sprayed so it was all the same color.

f

12. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    No worries at all. I still haven't had a chance to fix my speaker coverings. I was actually thinking of making a template from a thin sheet of aluminum. Once the template is created, one side could be for Drivers-side, flip over and the other side (mirror image) could be for Passenger.