TR belt service needed badly. | FerrariChat

TR belt service needed badly.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kogmachine, Jul 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kogmachine

kogmachine Rookie

Aug 5, 2016
    My dad bought an '86 TR a few years ago, and it's in dire need of a timing belt service. He tells me it has 44k miles and it's been 17 years since the last engine out service. The previous owner stored it in an air conditioned garage, but these belts are way past the recommended service life. He only drives it to car shows.

We live in Toledo, OH and my dad knew an exotic car mechanic, but he has since fallen into poor health and no longer operates his shop.

Does anyone know of another independent Ferrari mechanic in Toledo, OH? Should he trailer it up to Cauley's in Detroit? How feasible is it to do the repair ourselves? He says he has a repair manual on disc, and he's a mechanic himself, but no experience with a Ferrari before.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You might want to cross post in the Ohio area section for other recommendations for service

I guess whether to do it yourself boils down to whether based on your experiences with the belt a couple of years ago do you feel up to doing a job that is way more complex & critical ? There's always nuances that only experience can give

3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams

I sent you a PM. Looking forward to helping you in the right direction.

steved033 likes this.
  4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Lived in Toledo for 10+ years, only saw 1 TR there, yellow, owned by a Doctor who was dating a friend's mom. Also owned a Mondial. Have any pictures of this beast?

5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I did my own when I had my 88.5 TR. I have done a lot of engine rebuilds, but like greyboxer said, the TR's have nuances that I did not know about. Ended up taking it to Cauley, they did a great job for less money than I expected. Well worth it

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If your dad is a mechanic, then the tr timing belt change should be a walk in the park. Get past the name on the hood, it's really not a difficult job. Just time consuming.

taz355 and peteficarra like this.
  7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had an '87 and did 2 majors on the car myself. The biggest PIA was pulling the engine. Other than that, it was pretty straight forward. Just get a list of what is part of the major and do it.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Columbus has a Ferrari dealer/mechanic

9. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I did my own belt service. It takes 3 times longer to do it yourself. But way cheaper.

http://www.evansauto.com
    These guys are great.

If you want to talk face to face about it, I'm driving through Toledo on Sunday and driving back on Friday. I can stop by and talk to your pops about doing it yourself.

Makuono and phrogs like this.
  10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I have a cradle you can use too.

11. kogmachine

kogmachine Rookie

Aug 5, 2016
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Look up NJB automotive independent Ferrari shop. Can do full restorations. Westerville (columbus) Ohio.614-891-5678. When my car needs major work I send it there from WNY. You can drop t off or they can pick it up. Had my major done there and also needed a transmission rebuild due to a 6th gear failure.
    GTS Bruce 575M

13. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    BTW Jack Babbit of NJB has a TR

14. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    early car, subject to lots of updates/upgrades/revisions/improvements...do your research beforehand is my advice. As others have said, the grunting is considerable, but the skill level required-you'll be fine- it isn't anything like setting the pre-load and backlash for the pinion shaft and crown wheel in the transaxle in this thing...that's for almost certain, beyond your skillset....
    the wiring is pretty sketchy in TRs at this age/life cycle, so be sure to proof your fuel pumps relays' circuits before you try and fire it up...
    FWIW-its worth going to the specific forum on these cars and reviewing some of the subcategory(I think they call them "stickys?") topic/threads which pertain to your car-particularly the failure issues involving the ZF LSD unit cover-this is a biggie and worth at least consideration... since the "package" will be out.
    Failure-when it happens(it is no longer an "IF", but a "WHEN"), is typically catastrophic...
    Enjoy