Possible first Ferrari? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Possible first Ferrari?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Drdds, Jul 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hahaha - that is so completely true.

2. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    It is a "positive" in the case of this particular example because the Imron is the only thing that is holding all of the rust the body is composed of together.

Drdds and 308 milano like this.
  3. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    As I said before things have gone south the second you waste a dime on this turd. In all seriousness, I wouldn't take it for free if it also came with $50,000 in the trunk if It was under the proviso that I had to sink the $50,000 into the car and my own time mending it. In the end, the amount of time and $ beyond the "free" car with $50K in the trunk would leave me WAY UNDERWATER.

Drdds likes this.
  4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yep, sounds like he got to close to the “Red Mist” hopeless now.. you’re screwed. LOL

Drdds likes this.
  5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    As are we all! :)

Drdds likes this.
  6. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    Truer words have never been spoken :)

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As they say, “good thing happen to those who waits” :)

Drdds likes this.
  8. DINKFerrariOwner

Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Basso
    Miketuason said it best. "Good things happen to those who wait. I just purchased my 308 back in November 2017. After looking for about 5 years. It really sucked watching the value go from around 35K for one in near perfect condition. To about 75K for the exact same thing 5 years later, but in the end you will be much happier getting one that needs minimal to no work. I have had it for about 8 months now and only had to put about $3500 into it. I should mention I am not mechanically inclined, nor do I have the special tools need to do a lot of the work on this car. So the labor (about $2400 bucks) is in that price. I paid just under 60K for mine and how you see it in this pic is how I took delivery. just be patient you will find the right one.

Let me tell you the hardest part of the sale: for me it was once I actually purchased it from a private Dealer in CA (i'm in NY) and then having to send the cash to them for a car that is 3K miles away and to a guy you never met and don't know from a whole in the wall.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    Beautiful car you ended up with! Out of curiosity, what was the work you've had done so far? And thanks for posting your opinion and experience. That really is a beautiful car. I'm glad you put a pic up!

miketuason likes this.
  10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    There probably isn't a right price for this car because it's most likely beyond even a parts car.

Move on man. Are good 308i really +$50,000?

-F

Drdds likes this.
  11. DINKFerrariOwner

Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Basso
    All 4 tires were dry rotted, (common problem) but the cars spare was the orig that came with the car and not dry rotted. changed the oil in the car to a synthic racing oil. replaced most of the (biggest cost) gaskets & seals to stop all the oil leaks. but everyone I talk to tells me this car is famous for oil leaks. two hoses were leaking and had to be fabricated because Ferrari wanted $750 (not worth paying ) bucks for their hose. there was a missing plate under the car that I had fabricated. front breaks, but I think I am going to need to replace the calipers soon, because once in a blue moon after I brake the car pulls hard to the left and if I tap the brakes the pull stops.

I have about $4500 worth of body work to do, which I will do once the summer season ends. There are a few nonrelated engine things I can repair in the car to really cherry it out, but I don't know if I'm gong to pull the trigger on that just yet. I want to see how the car's value holds before I invest the money in those repairs. probably run me close to $5,000. to do all of that work. but I will see how things go. to be honest I'm a pretty anal kind of person so most likely I will do them I some point. probably repair like one or two every off season until they are done.

then the next phase would be to possibly start to enter it into judging. I'm going to the FCA International Meet in Watkins Glenn in Sept. So I will see what it would take to get it ready for judging. placing in those contests help raise the value of the car.

but in the end if I do it all I will be all-in for about $80,000. I think given some more time (maybe 5 years) I might be able to get $100K for it. my goal is to old it for at least 5 years and trade up to a F430 Spider. I really want a car track/daily driver Ferrari. and to be honest I could probably track this 308, but in the end nothing good would come from tracking a 33 year old Ferrari that has not been tracked it whole life.

I have a friend that tracks his F430 and is able to use it as a daily driver if he wanted to.

Drdds likes this.
  12. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    Sounds like you have a real nice one indeed! Well, be sure and post photos and results if you end up entering it in shows. All the best!

13. DINKFerrariOwner

Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Basso
    thanks Drdds, and thanks for the complements about the car. I will if I do, but I am years away from that.

Drdds likes this.
  14. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Keep looking. A good 308i is out there.

-F

Drdds likes this.
  15. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    Drdds likes this.
  16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Buy A 328 , 89 if you can find one, they are the best of the run , since 76 , The 308 s are beautiful, but unless they have a 3.4 or 3.5 liter motor upgrade, they are gutless. There are fellows on here that build motors for 3x 8 s that are insane,beautiful, but expensive, a well maintained 328, will require less work over the long run, and there are more spare parts available. The 85 QVs are the best of the 308s , with that being said, the 328 is a better car, its as simple as that. I do not like the 360s either. The 355s are fast, with incredible mechanical grip and good looking, but you have to make sure you get one, thats got all the problems that came with that car resolved, valve guides, manifolds, etc, and an interior that should have got cues from the Japanese ( they come apart ) . From a drivers standpoint, the 328 is one of the best cars Ferrari ever built, and one of the best in the world , the other being the F40 . The maintenance on the 308 s and the 328s , can be had for a very reasonable amount of money over the term of ownership. I have to say, that I do like the 430s , if you can find one with a manual gearbox, they are not as raw of a feel, as the 3x8s, the interior is second to none, and you get , I believe, 450 HP, the car looks better than a 360, not as good as a 458 / 488 . Hope you find something that you can be soulmates with,, because, if you didnt know this, Ferraris, have a soul !! lol ...Its what God would be driving ,,,

Drdds, Rosey and sixcarbs like this.
  17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not necessarily

18. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
  19. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Back'n'Black and Jbrauer like this.
  20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I will add this re finding a car in good condition - I bought my '89 328 in '08. It had 24k miles at the time, looked like a new car, had all the maint records and paperwork from new. The only money I have had to spend on the car during the 10 years I have owned it has been for normal maintenance or something I chose to buy - like replacing the mid- 2000's radio with a correct period Blaupunk and a stainless steel gearshift knob (which I removed/sold/put the OEM back on about two weeks later). Nothing on the car has failed/left me stranded and it has done two trips across the US during that time with 1000+ miles per day of driving on both occasions. Admittedly, I do all the maintenance myself so there is no labor cost involved. But my point is that one of these cars in good condition to start with doesn't cost any more to maintain than most other cars...and it has required FAR less than any of my wife's MBs she has owned over the years or a new Porsche 911 I owned for 6 years.

Drdds likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, that mirrors my experience entirely; I have a '89 328 GTB that I bought in September 2008, and a '89 328 GTS bought in January 2011. So far, both have been very reliable: nothing has ever failed, they always brought me home; they always start, etc...not even one small bad surprise at all. As far as my two are representative (??) a 328 in good condition is a very reliable car, and the maintenance costs are not horrendous at all.
    Rgds

Drdds likes this.
  22. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    This is the best statement ever, I totally agree :)

Also, I love the 328’s! They would maybe even be my preference, but the seem to fetch much higher prices as well. However, given what I have learned in this discussion with everyone, it seems like saving for one would be a good choice. Thanks for the advice. And thanks for sharing your experience with yours.

23. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    Mike996 and Nerofer, these statements really reinforce the point, and I very much appreciate you both taking the time to share your experiences. I intend to do all the maintenance on my (future) Ferrari once I find it, and this is very helpful indeed. I have always heard that the 3x8’s, and the 328’s in particular are very reliable cars with lower maintenance costs, particularly if you are capable of wrenching at home. Knowing this directly from long term owners helps so much. Thanks.

Michael Call likes this.
  24. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    Ok, hypothetically (emphasize hypothetically) as I am not seriously considering this car at this time, but here is an example of a 328 that seems to get driven but also appears to have been well maintained. It lacks some original items, the paint is flawed, the engine compartment looks well used and worn (but clean) and the mileage is the highest I have seen on a 328, but what I am specifically asking is, would this still be a decent car? As stated in my original post, I'm not looking for a concours show car, but something I can drive regularly. Any thoughts on a car like this? I'm sure the mileage, less than perfect paint, and chrome wheels etc. are driving the value down on this car, but if it has been serviced regularly, and the cosmetics don't personally bother the buyer, is this a solid car to purchase and enjoy?

Disclaimer: I realize that this is me presenting the cheapest thing I can find listed right now. Now, at the outset this appears to break the rule of advice that says "buy the best one you can afford" etc. However, my gut instinct says a car like this that is reasonably well maintained would be the perfect "project" to take on as I can take my time and improve cosmetics at my leisure and for enjoyment, while still being able to hop in and enjoy it from day one. And, if it is just plain time for me to be done with this thread, don't hesitate to say i'm beating a dead horse. I don't want to annoy people.

Have a look: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Ferrari-328-d1451#listing=196358508

25. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hmmm, well if you are serious Bryan that car is about 15 miles from me.