Second guessing my purchase 488 spider :-) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Second guessing my purchase 488 spider :-)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F430abdo, Jun 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I hear ya. I prefer the 458 for sure.

Sound and handling on the 488 are terrible. What more needs to be said.

I am going to lower the 488 a few mm, but I'm not holding out much hope here. Not sure what Ferrari has done, but really this is starting to concern me as far as the future goes. I went around a curve the other night in the 488 that normally the 458 would make short work of. Jesus.. the car felt so unbalanced I was shocked. Maybe I'm just not used to quicker steering or something? Not sure.

Anyway, yeah, I'm going to give it more time, but frankly my patience is running kinda thin. But I am keeping an open mind should anything suddenly improve with miles or the car suddenly "breaks-in". It's not like I don't love Ferrari or that I don't want to love the 488 - I do, that's part of why I gave it a chance. It looks pretty good, although I think the 458 looks better now that I have tried both. And I am tweaking the car here and there to see if I can address some of the areas I don't like. I know I'm a tough customer to please when it comes to what I demand from a performance car. Not saying other owners are too easy to please, but I hear a lot of people raving about "the magnificence symphony of the 488" - give me a break.

Anyway, I don't pay a lot of attention to what other people think; for me, it's how I feel when I drive the car.

The 488 has until the end of the year, merely because the dealer won't take it back any sooner and I don't feel like starting a war.

It's not a horrible car, but it's nothing all that special either in my opinion. The Ferrari 458 was a joy to drive every time. The 488 sort of just leaves me a little depresses when I come back home after driving it.

So yeah...

Perhaps an 812 Superfast will help solve this problem - I don't know.

Ray

paulchua likes this.
  2. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I’ve been following this thread. I have a 458 spyder, great car, fun to drive, happy. It’s only natural to want the next level, in this case the 488. I specked a 488 spyder, deposit given. Kept being told car was on the way. It was a very unpleasant experience. Cancelled the order. Just got tired of playing the “Ferrari” dealership game. I’m happy with my decision. The 488 might be a better car, but after reading this thread, it’s definitely not $100,000 better. Pretty sure those of you who turned in your 458 for the 488 are out about that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've heard more and more people say the same thing: that they regret selling their 458 and getting a 488. People on YouTube have mentioned they are getting out of the 488 and going back to the 458. I've heard more than one Ferrari owner or repair person echo this, telling me privately that they know of customers who have bought the 488 and not liked it whatsoever. I'm not exactly alone here in my views.

I think most people are too worried to say any of this directly to Ferrari or the dealer. And I know damn well the dealers aren't going to say it to you. I asked several dealers for their honest opinions before hand and I got a lot of vague responses like "well, it's a different car", "yeah, you kinda have to try it", "it's not too bad". Baloney. The sound of the car - at least in stock trim - is comically bad to my ears. I hear a lot of people say stuff like "the 488 is next level". "The 488 is amazing". I personally don't think these people know a good car from a bad car.

Before pulling the trigger on the 488, I watched a number of ivdeos on YouTube - some of which seemed like the editors reviewing the cars really were speaking the truth. One video the guy is driving around corners saying "my god, I don't care if the exhaust does sound like a bucket of bolts, it performs amazing". Yeah, well guess what? The exhaust does sound like a bucket of bolts. And the handling isn't nearly as sharp as the 458. The 458 inspires total confidence driving through traffic at over 100 MPH on the highways. 488, not so much. The truth of the matter here is the 488 feels sloppy to me, while the 458 feels sharp and planted and balanced.. When I took a 488 on the track, I sort of wondered in the back of my mind why I didn't feel more sure being on the track - now I'm thinking it was more the car than me. I wish I had taken my 458 on the track that day as well, just to see the difference. I also wish I had taken my helmet off to listen to the 488 exhaust a bit more clearly.

Anyway, this is just my personal opinion. Some people might like the 488; might like the exhaust note; might like the handling - and all that's fine. It's all very subjective. But for me, I know a good car from a not so good car and this 488 GTB can't seem to duplicate that "Ferrari magic" that any true Ferrari gear head loves. The 355 had it. The 360 had it. The 458 had it in spades. So far, with the 488, no. The thing is that there are droves and droves of Rich guys buying Ferraris who never even think to take the car out of auto mode. Fine. I'm not one of those people. I drive the car like I stole it half the time and for $300K I demand something amazing.

I'm hoping a different exhaust system might let the magic happen. I have driven behind a 488 that sounded amazing, but I'm not sure I wanna go full straight pipes and cat-delete to get it. And even so, the handling is really worrisome to me. Perhaps it's quicker ratio steering or brand new tires or something - not sure.. The 458 floated around corners and you could kick the back end out with ease and feel confident the whole time. I'm not sure I feel comfortable enough in the 488 yet to try that. Granted, only 300 miles on the motor and tires - so maybe something might settle in.

Anyway, I'm a demanding person in all aspects of life. Just ask my girlfriend. I drive her insane sometimes. Car is no different :)

I'm happy that people are pleased with their 488's. I hope to follow in those foot steps here soon, but I'm starting to wonder if it's possible or if I'm going to have to try another car. Jury is still out - but as I told the dealer (and mentioned in one of my YouTube videos), for me it's Ferrari or nothing. When I voiced my concerns to the dealer, for a minute they were worried I was going to jump ship and buy a McLaren or something. I told them "You don't get it.. this is a big issue for me because if I don't like my Ferrari, then the only other option is no sports car at all - that's how Ferrari loyal I am". Same with bikes. Yamaha is the best, therefore it's either a Yamaha or nothing.

For me, it's either Ferrari or nothing, so I depend on these guys to be brilliant.

Ray

paulchua and schwoo like this.
  4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari or nothing? You my friend are missing out on an entire world of awesome cars. Geez give the other guys a chance. You may shake your head and wonder why you ever wanted a ferrari in the first place.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I hear ya, but for me it's more than just the car - it's the history, it's the racing, it's Enzo Ferrari the man himself, it's the factory, the cars, it's the having started with nothing and worked my whole life since the age of about 15 with the single vision to one day become a millionaire and own a Ferrari. I know there are other nice cars, but there is only one Ferrari and for me that's the definition of success. Just like there are lots of sodas, but there's only one Coca-cola.

Ferrari or nothing.

Ray

Manda racing, Dave rocks and paulchua like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Agree. However, if you want to experiance the real true ferrari cars when all that stuff was real and happening..you have to go vintage. THAT is Ferrari..that is what the current brand and marketing is based on.

Ferrari is a marketing company now. You have discovered this first hand, and have the nuts to post it. Hats off to you.

I'm 360 Canuck and RayJohns like this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think there is something wrong with your 488. I have a 458 and a 488. My 458 is on NR springs and spacers and my 488 is stock. I can tell you the 488 handles very very well. More roll than my 458 but I think if we were to give both cars the same power, and go to a track the 488 has some tricks where it probably pulls ahead. I suggest you ask the dealer to investigate the handling on your 488. There could be a serious problem.

As to the sound. That is purely a subjective thing. I also don't love the sound on the 488. But as I gain more experience with it, I can see what they achieved with the car and overall, its really remarkable. The sound is probably my least favorite part, but at least in my case, I don't find it objectionable.

One thing I can tell you is I almost felt the same as you did after my first drive in the 488. It was new and I didn't really drive it that hard. I felt like the 458 was far more of a joy to drive. But as I have really pressed into the depths of the 488's ability, I have discovered a car of even greater breath than the 458. It's just that going at moderate speeds, the 458 feels more alive. The trade off is the 488 is faster, and feels much much faster, and has the handling to match the speed.

I suggest have your car checked out, and if it checks out, give it a real good drive, so long as you are comfortable doing so. One other thought is which tires are fitted to your 488? Some people are sensitive to tires and I usually prefer Michelin tires. It can make a difference. On my 599 it made a huge difference.

I hope it all works out for you. :)

JohnTz and paulchua like this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm giving the 488 time and I agree w/ a lot of what you've said. I recall I didn't care for the 458 initially when I bought it also and then came to love that thing like nothing else. So I'm definitely keeping an open mind on the 488. I will check the tires. I think it has Michelin 3 something or other. Let me snap a photo later or see what's on their. I'm also going to play with the tire pressure, since that is something I'm very sensitive to (coming from riding motorcycles, etc.).

I'll lower the 488 in a bit here and see if that helps matters. There's nothing wrong, it's just different than what I'm used to in the 458 I think. I'll get under the car soon enough here to start looking around. I'm going to see if I can lower it without having to pull the coil overs off. I built some nice slim spring compressors specifically for the 458, so those might be thin enough to work for the 488 while the assembly is on the car. You can see them here in this video:

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I drove the 488 yesterday. It's starting to grow on me more and more. What you say is true. The speed is great. When you get into boost, that sucker really moves. My girlfriend loves it. The main issue is the sounds is god-awful around 4000 RPM's. Above that range or below that range, it's "okay". I think a straight thru exhaust or my DIY idea here with some resonators might save the day. The handling issues I think were in sport mode, but in race mood it seems a little better. It might also be the faster steering ratio? Not sure. Could be the fresh tires. When I drove the car yesterday, the handling felt better, but I did have it in the ESC OFF mode also. So the jury is still out.

I will say the brakes on this thing are fantastic!

Anyway, I'm going to fiddle around with the exhaust soon. I'm also going to see if I can lower it 15mm all the way around; I'm hoping I can manage it without having to pull the coil-overs off the car, but I'm not holding my breath too much.

The more I drive it, the more comfortable I'm feeling. I think if I can do something to tone down the droning sound around 4000 RPM's then we'll be in business.

The 458 Italia is still king of the hill if you ask me though. The 488 is darn fast under boost though! :)

Ray

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I totally agree, now the thing I think most of us are not really acknowledging is that the 488 is to 458 what an Orange is to a grapefruit. Yes they are both round and from a distance maybe even appear to be somewhat identical. But upon peeling the top layer away and taking a bite the taste is night and day. And both have their zest! But I started to enjoy my 488 more when I stopped trying to find my 458 in it, but started to appreciate and realize what the 488 has and does that is essentially so much better, and different. And yes it still has its nuances to the 458 and yes some of those I miss of the 458 that “sound” being utmost. But I have to say the 488 still has a fantastic note. I like the downshifting Exaust notes better with 488 to be honest. Faster and more aggressive to the ears too me. But yes the sound of the 458 is the Mona Lisa of Exaust notes and 488 is the creation of Adam, but both are fantastic pieces of art in my book.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Agreed. I think you do have to appreciate the 488 and not try to find the 458 in it.

Sort of like solitary confinement in prison I guess - try to just appreciate getting some R&R for a change :)

Ray

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Taste is very subjective. just let like color - personal preference. For me, the 458 is an awesome car. The 488 was a success at destroying the 458. I have friends who feel different. It's all good.

13. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I got passed and followed a no plate black 488 today on the 405 today (after dropping my Scud off for a PPF and Feynlab coat) and I was very impressed with its rear end looks AND the sound, it was raucous sounding from several cars away.

I also got tailgated and passed several times at Sonoma a couple weeks ago by a black 458– sounded good too. FWIW

14. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    This whole thread reminds me of high end audio where the analog vs digital debate still rages on. Many audiophiles still swear lps still sound better than any digital format. Meanwhile the market has spoken and digital is the de facto standard.
    High end autos are the same. The latest and greatest vs the last generation standard bearers. In the end listen to music and drive the car that you like and enjoy it for what it is, your opinion is what counts.
    As for my opinion, the 488 spider is currently the best super car spider currently on the market. I fully expect within the next year or so for it to change. Whether it’s going to be an HP Spyder, M720 spider or the Pista Aperta I don’t know. I just hope I can afford the one I want!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app