550 mods! (Updated «where does air exit thread») | FerrariChat

550 mods! (Updated «where does air exit thread»)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Jul 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys.

I need to figure out where the air inside the cockpit exits on a 550. I want to make some kind of device for constant ventilation of the cabin and trunk even if the engine is not running. My trunk is also very hot inside and it is not ideal for storing things inside the trunk when the car is left outside and/or runs long distances.

My understanding is that when the engine is off, the hvac closes the intake of air? So obviously outside air need to enter and exit the cockpit... It is useful if my dog for some reason is being left inside the car for example if I have to go to a shopping center or similar. Also if you go for a finner with the car outside, I hate to get back in a super hot car.... I plan on fitting a secondary battery with the benefits of being able to ventilate the cockpit for houres without draining the main battery. It needs a switch between the batteries of course which I want to be able to manouver from within the car if extra amps is needed for either starting after a long period with the alarm on and the windows perfectly shut in the rubber seal. Also if the fans need to run constantly in stop and go traffic, an additional powerbank is not a bad thing as I don’t think the car charges more than it consumes under these conditions. The battery in the engine compartment is cooked when te fans blow constantly through two radiators which are 120 deg C ++ and the manifolds and cats are even warmer.... For example when it is very hot and max AC is needed. I need to fit the 575 fans (or stronger) to get the heat out of the engine compartment aswell. There is no place for hot air to exit the engine compartment upwards which is a real mistake in my opinion. As the car is now, the doors need to be forced open if the battery is dead due to long period of alarm on. With a small hidden outside switch, parallell connecting the two batteries will solve this problem easily. This can also be great if the car needs to be left along the road if it breaks down because the lights and hazard will drain the main battery, but not both, if separated by a switch. Very very useful when left stranded in the middle of the night in far from civilazation places. Here at our vacation home, there is no water to wash the car after being driven the last kilometer on non-tarmac road. I really hate leasing the car in the sun with dust on even if I have washed it perfectly just minutes prior. So a flat tank that expands when it is filled + a high pressure deck wash down pump would be ideal for this. A discovered that this is great too when coming into places where you have never been and the car needs to be perfectly clean. I struggeled for more than an houre in Paris to find a car wash. It spoils the plans of taking pictures of a sharp car as there is no lustre in the paint after driving houres and houres. I had road grime all over the front of the car now when I came to Paris, and it looked like I didn’t give a **** about my car..... I am not like that. It is just a pain to speed lots of time to find a car wash when there is no one anywhere. Will update you when I start on the project. How much water do I need to wash the car?? A foam gun is also a good thing.

Any input?

Erik :)

2. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #2 fou, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Google. Solar powered car window fan.

You can buy one and stick it in your window for $20.

Will save you the hassle.

I keep bales of weed in my trunk, so not good for that, but may work for your interior.

As for engine heat, you may have missed those two gills on each side of the car.

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Heat move upwards, not sideways... there is no place for the heat to exit upwards.

4. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I was kidding

5. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name: