2014 FF vs 2015 Cali T - which to pick? | FerrariChat

2014 FF vs 2015 Cali T - which to pick?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ggonzaga, Jun 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ggonzaga

ggonzaga Rookie

Jul 24, 2015
    Hey everyone,

Looking into getting my first Ferrari. This car would hopefully lead to another, and another, and another over time :).

Currently I’m between a 2014 FF with 9k miles, and a 2015 Cali T with 5k miles. FF is red on beige, while the California is white on black. They’re both going for almost the same ($170k More or less). Only thing is the FF was in a minor side swipe accident according to carfax.

Now this car’s purpose at the end of the day is to take out on the weekends, Cars and Coffee, etc etc. It won’t be a daily because we already have 2 AMGs doing that job pretty well. So I feel like the California is the most sensible option, because the FF from my understanding was made to be daily driven. Also, the Cali has a clean carfax and is newer, lower miles. I also suspect the Cali will retain its value better than the FF, which lost a lot of value over these past few years.

The FF though is very comfortable and easy going until you put it into sport mode. This is an attribute that we like, is the Cali like that as well? Also has anyone had any major problems with the California? I also suspect it would be a bit more reliable than the FF but not sure.

What do you guys think? I’m looking forward to driving both cars this week but would like your input on what would be the best choice for me.

2. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    The convertible factor is a big difference maker for a weekend car.
    So I say cali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Totally agree. Both can be daily driven insofar as you would want to with a Ferrari, but for weekend fun, hard to beat the Cali T and the ability to have both a couple and a convertible in one.

To be fair, things in favor of the FF. It's a V12, and Ferrari built their legend on those. From what I've read, the rear seats on the FF are a bit roomier.

T

4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have had a 2013 FF and a 2017 CaliTHS and in your case I would go with the CaliT. Definitely 2 cars in one but unless you are under 5'11 (I am 6'3) you will find the rear seats useless. The open top experience is great and while I would not give my LussoV12 up for a CaliT its more because I use the rear seats for kids and I use the 4WD in the nasty weather days then there is the magically V12 but the CaliTV8 is a hoot as well! I moved from an FF to the CaliTHS and I didn't miss the FF as much as I thought I would so its all splitting hairs because they are all great! CaliT takes my vote for your scenario.

5. MelbourneCarl

MelbourneCarl Rookie

Dec 23, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    As much as I love the V12, I too would steer to the Cali.

FFs are starting to show issues with the PTU (4wd system, which is both complex and unique to the FF/Lusso) that scare me, whereas the 3.9L turbo is both in everything and seems to be holding up pretty well.

You’ll take a bit of depreciation on either but prev owner(s) have worn most of it for you — and if you drive AMG you’re used to deprecation!

Does the Cali you’re eying have the adjustable dampers (“bumpy road” button on the wheel)? That’s worth having. No doubt you’ve done all the usual DD on the specific car, so I won’t condescend to list here.

Enjoy!

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sorry cant believe what im hearing. I had 2017 cali t for a few months. umm is that a Ferrari compared to an FF??? id say no way. By a used FF and a 360 spider if you need to have a convertible. the FF is bonkers, the cali t is a wifey car and yes ive owned both versions of the cali.

im assuming you are male. if you are female go for the cali t.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. MelbourneCarl

MelbourneCarl Rookie

Dec 23, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Wow, sexist much?

Just so I'm understanding: one of the two is longer, wider & heavier, has bigger back seats, is 4WD and is a hatchback... but that's the manly one?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the FF, I actually love it. The values are getting attractive (the price delta between the FF and F12 is massive!), I love the V12 and, if I wasn't scared of the 4WD system for long term ownership cost/reliability, it would be top of my wish list. I simply don't understand the contempt a fairly sizable segment of the community hold for the Cali T. Yeah it's no Speciale but nor is the FF and nor is it trying to be. Both on paper (>550 PS, 3.5 to 60, etc) and behind the wheel, the Cali T is an impressive machine.

Avia11 likes this.
  8. spiraljeff

spiraljeff Rookie

Aug 20, 2017
    Mill Valley, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jeff Neugebauer
    Have you considered the 612? IDK maybe it's too old - but a much sexier 12 cylinder than the FF or Luso, IMO, with room for 4. I driving a Cali and love it! Northern California with the top down almost every weekend :). Good luck, I'm sure you'll love the experience whatever you choose!

Makuono likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I've been contemplating identifying as non binary. If I do I'll reconsider a cali.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

10. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes I agree 100%! The first time I laid eyes on a Cali I thought to myself, “Now, that is definitely a woman’s car. Has curves and no real room in the back seats. Perfect for the little lady”.

And the first thought when I saw the FF was, “That is a MAN’S car! Fit for picking up kids from school and stopping at the grocery store on the way home! Totally MANLY and I must have it”!

The only time I ever drove our -um my wife’s - Cali-T, at every stop light, some dude in a truck or Mustang made a smart aleck comment like, “Hey Girlie-Man.” It was udderly humiliating.

So I always take our pale yellow Fiat 500 instead. Always gets a thumbs up from the truck drivers. After all, that’s what really matters...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Would rather have a "girls car" than something that is so ugly I'd be embarrassed to own it.

jumpinjohn and sasso1977 like this.
  12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Back to the OP.

I would and did pick the Cali. Nothing like the top down in evenings or cool days. It is such a slick thing to watch also! I have nothing but good things to say about this awesome car!

Just ignore the folks who have silly claims about it being a chick car. Marketing guys made that mistake, magazines amplified it and the only place where it is propagated now is insecure guys on car forums.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

JMJ likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I've owned 2 calis. No insecurity. I've also owned everything else.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

14. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    The lines of the Cali to me would make me favor the FF. But the HT convertible is in the Cali’s favor and why I will probably sell off my F430 coupe for a used Portofino in a few years which IMHO looks nicer than the Cali.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I would pick the Cali for the open-air experience -- you can't beat hearing that motor with the top down -- but nothing could convince me to buy an FF with an accident history, the market is narrow enough and depreciation extreme for a perfect example, let alone a sideswiped one nearing 10k miles with a $170k price tag.

Avia11 and tomc like this.
  16. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The Cali T has the new dual clutch transmission. The FF does not, unless I'm mistaken. That transmission is a game changer: Cali T over FF.

17. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The FF does have the dual clutch transmission.

18. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Well then, as it turns out I just drove a Lusso on Friday and I really loved it! I also drove a Cali T. Two very different cars for different purposes. We are too far away from a dealer for me to consider an FF or Lusso as my Daily Driver, but if we had a dealer in town I would. Instead I'm thinking about finally trading my '77 308 GTB and stepping into the modern world with the Cali T.

19. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    OP, you will rarely get everyone on here to agree on anything about a car. Here is my take, my neighbor has an FF which I think it a great car, though not best looking Ferrari ever made. You have two AMG daily drivers so why would you want another 4 seat hardtop GT car. The Calf T is a convertible (I just bought one by the way), which makes it a nice weekend car and I think it looks better than the FF. In the end you need to decide what you want the car to be, the Calf drives smaller than the FF, and feels more sporty (to me at least you might think differently), but after 459 cars (mostly modified some one of a kinds) I am tainted, old, and could less what anyone (except my girlfriend) thinks or says about what I drive. Buy what is best for you, in the end you have to live with it. Good luck.