For Sale - 1988 Mondial Coupe | FerrariChat

For Sale 1988 Mondial Coupe

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by billh1963, Jul 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Selling my 1988 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Coupe.

Note: The car has a CLEAN title in my name. However, at some point it received a rebuilt title very early in life supposedly due to a repossession and titling fiasco. The person who know the story is on FChat and will hopefully chime in. I don’t believe the car has ever been wrecked or hit and looks laser straight inside and out.

For those still interested my car has the Nero (black) exterior and a red interior. It’s a beautiful combination and the car gets plenty of attention. Current mileage is 45,504…subject to increase slightly as I drive the car almost every weekend barring inclement weather.

The best way to get to know a car is to go over it section by section

Exterior- I believe the paint to be original. It's in surprisingly good shape with minimal, if any, door dings. No rust, of course. Being black it shows dirt and much of what you see in the pictures is dust or bugs from my morning drive (yes..it gets driven). All glass is good and has the Ferrari logo. The side strakes are unbroken and all badges/lenses are excellent.

Interior – Looks nicer than most other Mondials I have seen on here or for sale elsewhere. No dash cracks, leather shrinkage, or any real wear other than a little on the driver's bolster. The car has custom floor mats protecting the red carpet. The 5 speed shift gate gleams and all the gauges are clear. You will be very happy with the interior.

Tires/Brakes - The tires are new Michelins installed 12/1/14 at 42,237 miles. The brakes are $4000 upgraded Tarox High performance brakes units. Look them up. I was giving a friend of mine who owns a GT3 a ride a while back. He was bragging about his brakes. I told him to hold on and hit the brakes (I didn't even hit them hard enough to engage ABS). His statement was "Holy S#%t!"...... enough said.

Drive Train - The engine was removed and resealed by Karl Troy of European Road and Racing in Charleston, SC on 12/1/14 at 42,237 miles. While the engine was out the major service was done and new axle boots were installed. Total bill was $8769. The clutch master and slave plus a four wheel alignment was performed by Karl on 4/18/16 at a cost of $1529.04. The engine has no smoke on startup or on overrun. The engine does not leak oil, the transmission shifts cleanly (balks going into second until the oil is warm...they all do. Just shift from 1st to 3rd until the oil warms up). Oil pressure while driving is around 80 psi...as it should be. Car never runs hot. The gauge barely moves above the first hash mark while driving and if stopped the dual cooling fans kick in around 190 and cool the engine quickly. The only minor issue is the car will not idle smoothly when cold. You have to keep the rpm's up for a minute or so until the engine starts warming up. After that it's fine.

Electrical - the headlights (high and low beam) were upgraded with Xenon units. They are very bright and work well. All the gauges work, all the switches work, the radio power antenna works, and even the SUNROOF WORKS! The only item not working is the glovebox switch. It was not working when I bought the car and I have never tried to open it. For all I know it's full of cash! The a/c works; albeit it is not as cold as I would like. It has been converted to 134a. The windows go up and down quickly and the door locks operate correctly.

Books, Records, and Tools - The car has the jack but no tool kit (it was stolen) I have the owner’s manual as well as the hard to find 3.2 Mondial parts manual, electrical diagrams service bulletins, ABS service manual, etc. in the original Ferrari binders. The car has a large number of records and receipts going back over 20 years highlighting the money lavished on the car. The good news is the receipts prove the car has been well maintained. I told Karl when he did the major that I wanted everything done so that I would be able to drive this car across the US. I feel very confident that I could do just that. I drove the car on a 700+ mile round trip to the NC mountains in September a couple years ago without any issues. The car is close to 30 years old and is sold with no warranty expressed or implied. However, if you want to fly in and drive back I wouldn't blame you!

Asking price is $38,500 obo. I'm not a professional photographer (and it shows). If anyone wants to see pictures of anything in particular let me know.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wade, paulchua and Ryan... like this.
  2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    That is a great looking Mondial

paulchua and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    It will be interesting to see what the sales price is. My car is the same year, same color combo Nero/Red. Comparable condition. No sunroof. Best of luck with the sale. It should go quickly.

paulchua likes this.
  4. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    good looking car

paulchua likes this.
  5. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

All U.S. Mondial Coupes had a sunroof as standard equipment. (I believe)

Joe

paulchua likes this.
  6. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Awesome and rare color combo!

paulchua likes this.
  7. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    My car is Saudi Arabian spec. Some minor differences. I guess no sunroof is one of them.

paulchua likes this.
  8. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Don't be shy...take a look and make an offer :)

paulchua likes this.
  9. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    That is A LOT of car for the money! GLWS!

davemqv and paulchua like this.
  10. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    paulchua likes this.
  11. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

I can attest with the titling fiasco. My Porsche 968 Cabriolet was titled "not actual mileage" Why? The bank that held the loan took the payoff over the phone and therefore, couldn't view the odometer when the title was released. Took six months of phone calls & e-mails get resolved, along with an additional title fee.

Love your Mondial.

Joe

12. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Beautiful car, Bill! Same colour combo as my '83 QV. I'll have to look into those brakes.

Someone will be very happy with this machine. GLWS!

13. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I know I have said this before but it still applies here. I just re-read the details about all of the recent service history. This is a lot of car for the money.

Imagine if they had named it 328 GTB 2+2?

gsfent likes this.
  14. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
  15. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    Very cool...I'm interested and a sucker for a red interior (308GT4) - been looking for a nice Mondi and this fits the bill. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    Bump to the top. Might also consider Maserati GT or Porsche 911 (996 or 997) trades slightly up or down.....