What just happened? It looked like smoke but didn't smell like it! | FerrariChat

What just happened? It looked like smoke but didn't smell like it!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SAU KWENG TAN, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I parked the 488GTB outside for about 3 weeks with double cover. 2 days ago, I went to retrieve the car. Upon starting the car, white color smoke / dust covered the whole engine bay. I was trying to grab my phone to capture it but it's all gone within 10 seconds and I didn't capture the video/photo. However, I did not smell any burning at all. The white smoke settled down pretty quick.

Nothing wrong with the car, it performs like it's supposed to.

Anyone experience this before?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Condensation ?

davidoloan likes this.
  3. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    I don't think so. It's like in the 90F and above. Even at night it was like 70F.

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've had a fair amount of moisture accumulate on the rear window (488 GTB) just after startup, but it would dissipate after 10 or 15 seconds. No big deal.

100badboy100 likes this.
  5. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's condensation 100% sure

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You mention "dust" was all over the engine bay. In addition to condensation, after sitting for 3 weeks, you may have also had a critter start to build a nest in there somewhere.

7. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    It's look like dust flying all over but also look like smoke. But there is no dust layer on any part of the engine. I just never saw anything like that before and wish I had taken the video because I may not have decribed it probably due to my poor engligh. The good thing is everything is normal and hope like others mentioned, it just a condensation. I do see a web so I am going to send to detail and engine bay steam cleaning.

8. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Drive it!!!

Then you will have roasted all the bugs!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SAU KWENG TAN likes this.
  9. SAU KWENG TAN

SAU KWENG TAN Karting

Feb 21, 2018
    Los Angeles County
    Full Name:
    SAU TAN
    That is absolutely the best way

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    As others have said condensation; cause by change in temperature, not necessarily the temp itself, and poor ventilation caused by the car covers. (This is a big issue in the UK as car covers that don't breath cause more damage than they prevent as basically they just keep the car permanently damp.)