Ferrari 360 F1 with F430 exhaust conversion experience | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 F1 with F430 exhaust conversion experience

Discussion in '360/430' started by nsx_2k, Jul 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nsx_2k

nsx_2k Rookie

Apr 7, 2009
    Recently I took the plunge and upgraded my exhaust on my 1999 360 F1. The original OEM exhaust began to release a peculiar white powder throughout my engine bay. I had acquired another OEM exhaust and it too succumbed to the same fate of releasing the white powder. Personally, I am a fan of keeping cars as much OEM as possible but certainly have no issues updating or upgrading components when necessary (ie. Hill Engineering components). During my quest to find an exhaust replacement, I looked at a number of vendors (Tubi, Capristo, etc). All were nice but somehow they didn't seem to fit me, personally. One day I ran across an ad here on Ferrari Chat where a gentlemen than goes by Speedracer800 (Eric) had a set of converted F430 exhaust pipes & muffler that fit a 360. The idea of a modified OEM part from a different model was intriguing and not unheard of. Ultimately, I reached out to him with a few pre-purchase questions and he answered them very clearly and to my satisfaction. Soon he shipped me the set (muffler, exhaust tips and brackets). After receiving the parts one thing stood out....the quality. It was amazing. The weld joints looked factory perfect!

I went to work installing the new exhaust. It fit exceptionally well. The tips did not contact any edge and really seemed to fill out the portal for the exhaust tips. I was tickled by the appearance. That excitement was eclipsed after I started the car! WOW!! The sound was amazing. I wasn't much of an exhaust aficionado, but now I feel that I am for the exhaust note from this setup is unlike anything road worthy that I have ever heard.

Now onto some tips/tricks that I learned while installing the exhaust that might help others.

1) Make sure you have some PB Blaster on hand to help you with bolt removal. I soaked all my exhaust bolts the night before to ensure that they would be well treated the next day.

2) If you run into a situation where the new exhaust pipe fits a bit too snuggly on the catalytic converted exhaust pipe. You can rent a pipe expander from O'Reilly auto for free. They have two sizes. Get the larger one and gently expand the inlet to the exhaust pipes (not catalytic converter). This will facilitate easier fitting and alignment of the pipes.

3) Use some anti-seize compound on the exhaust bolts to allow for easier removal in the future.

4) I had to re-attach the exhaust valves due to some local restrictions. The original tubing is far too short to fit the new exhaust. You can buy similar tubing from O'Reilly by the foot. The part number is # GAT 27072.

5) For the exhaust valve tubing you will need new clamps as well. If you search Google for "Single Ear Stepless Hose Clamps", you can find similar clamps that are used on the OEM setup.

Overall, I am thrilled with the setup. The quality of the product created and sold by Speedracer800 (Eric) is unquestionably first rate. Additionally, I was wholly impressed by Eric's openness and professionalism. I believe that he may have some more kits available or could be coerced to make a set. You should have no reservations about purchasing from him.

Finally, I know that simple words have limited meaning especially for something that has acoustic characteristics. Consequently, I've placed a link below taken from a recent drive with the new exhaust. Please note that the exhaust baffles were active so you will note a change is sound when the ECU alters their position.

2. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    nice!

FYI, the F430 backbox also spews white powder...I found this out after buying mine from Eric as well but that isn't his fault.

The 4 pipes that turn 90 degrees out of the silencer are only tack welded on the inside so I went to a metal fabricator/welder and had him weld a bead around all 4 pipes where it exits the muffler and I haven't had an issue since.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

360trev and 24000rpm like this.
  3. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Wow, nice write-up and the new exhaust sounds great!

360trev likes this.
  4. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you so much for the kind words Norm!

So glad you like your new exhaust! Great video.. Your car sounds awesome!!

Thank you again!

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    A few 360 owners have done this conversion now and I think its great. Its the best practicle solution to have the sound and experience of the optional 360 Racing Style exhaust without the sourcing problems (there are many F430 systems available) vs trying to find and pay through the nose to get one of the last rare racing exhaust kits or used ones if you can find them!

6. sanfran

sanfran Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 10, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Guys,

You are wasting your time, money, and energy with an F430 exhaust on a 360.

It is terrible. Just the same B$ in a slightly different flavor.

You are still carrying a terribly designed heat sink boat anchor in the back of your car.

At 3,500 RPM you still have a tonal change from the valves opening.

Please look at the pipes to understand what happens at that point.

You are going to straight pipes after the cats at 3,500 RPM.

So why go through all this work and expense if there are just straight pipes after 3,500 RPM?

You can get the same result by keeping your valves open.

That is a zero cost and very low effort mod.

To fundamentally change the sound of your 360 you need a titanium pipe with a cross-over.

I had one made for a resonable amount.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Speedracer800

Speedracer800 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2013
    Chicago, IL

Huh??? Said NOBODY ever. Are you long on titanium exhaust systems???