Trouble free 3 years in my 430 Spider | FerrariChat

Trouble free 3 years in my 430 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Themaven, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I am just coming up to three years of ownership of my gated 430 Spider and wanted to put it on the record out here that it has been entirely trouble free, with not a single glitch. I know a lot of people may swipe through this forum when considering ownership, and obviously we don't tend to post messages about reliability unless there's an issue (just like you're more likely to make a complaint about a hotel than to contact them to praise them). So these forums sometimes read like a catalogue of potential horrors.

I'm tempting fate here but I haven't had even the slightest thing go wrong. Just completed a 800 mile round trip of fantastic roads (in fantastic weather) around Britain, all perfect. And what an amazing car - downshifting through the gears on the approach, blasting up, click-clack, the noise, the sharpness of the handling, that engine!

My car's done 10,000 miles, and it's been serviced every year, FWIW. Aside from the service costs, and regulars, I haven't had to pay to fix a thing.

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Great to hear! I like posts like this. I'm going on two years of trouble-free ownership (F430 Coupe).

How many miles per year do you drive yours? I get the impression if owners drive them regularly, not necessarily long distances but regularly, then it helps keep any potential issues at bay. For example, I've only put about 1820 miles on mine, but I drive it at least once/week.

mathewr likes this.
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You’re screwed now. The Ferrari Gods have your name and number.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Knock on wood, I am coming up on one year of ownership of my 2004 360 Spider of which it has been trouble free as well. And you are right, we hear all about issues but never how reliable these cars may be.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Coming up on 11 yrs and 38k miles of trouble free ownership

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

6. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Seems like Ferrari problems get all the attention and the F1 trannys and tops account for the majority of troubles. Three Ferrari's and absolutely no problems with any of them. 88Tr that I put 15K miles on over 8 yr period. 77 308 just occasionally driven. No problems in 15 years. 2002 360 with 27K miles(14K in last 6 years). All coupes and all true manuals so two biggest problem areas do not exist. All saw/see occasional track time. The 360 shifter bushing was cracked when I bought it in 2012 and one of the crazy squirrel run auto seat belts in the TR was changed. 360 needed new trans mount and ball joints but those are normal wear items. Maybe it is just good luck but my Ferrari's have been very reliable and not expensive to maintain. No labor fees as I do all work on the cars. Enjoy cranking wrenches so my take on these cars is a bit different?

7. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Love this thread...I'm not surprised this is happening to many Ferrari's out there.
    I agree with many of you the F430 is a outstanding machine.!
    I feel like a little kid every time I get behind the wheel.....very impressed with the engineering that went into making this vehicle what it is....!
    Thank You Ferrari.!
    K//

whatheheck and Themaven like this.
  8. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I reported in another thread that my car has also been reliable. In 4-1/2 years I had to replace 1 exhaust ecu and a headlight relay. But I also do some preventative maintenance such as HE clutch block, shifter bushing, annual coolant & tranny fluid changes etc. Cheap insurance

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Very good to hear and read this about a ferrari. Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have driven just over 2000 miles in the 3 years. I do try and take her out every couple of weeks in the summer months (not in winter here in the UK). I do believe in preventative maintenance; taking a curve at the limit at 7000 rpm at [REDACTED] mph in 3rd gear with your daughter in the car, you want to know things are as they should be.

It's not a scientific sample, but I also have a very low miles 550 which I don't drive much, and it's been my least reliable Ferrari I have owned.

11. ChuckEBaby

ChuckEBaby Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 7, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    5 years + 4 months with my 430 MT Sp., All fluids yearly. Pretty much Gas & Go. Two issues: (1)Replaced Shifter bushing in June 2013. (2) Spider Top would fold to the straight up position but no further.
    Somehow the Top slipped out of alignment & a sensor kept if from folding down. $400.00 to fix, most of which was diagnostics.

whatheheck and Way2fast like this.
  12. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    No sir, several DIY'ers here saving tens of thousands!

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Glad to hear most of you folks F430 have been trouble free. That is great news!

So let me ask please:
    • Your exhaust manifolds are original & no cracks or leak?
    • Your exhaust system are also original and the exhaust bracket is not cracked?
    • Your battery and charger is original?
    • Your motor mounts and transmission mounts are original and you feel no engine vibration anomaly?
    • Your valve cover gaskets are not leaking?
    • You've never had a check engine light?
    • Your hood struts are original?
    I'm asking because the above I had to take care of on my 2006 F430 Spider with 26K miles when I bought it.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Dan, my answers as follows:

- Manifolds: Mk2 manifolds, already fitted under warranty by dealer when I purchased the car
    - Correct
    - Second battery, also fitted by dealer before I purchased. My own Ctek charger
    - No evidence of mounts being changed, no unusual vibration to date (I have asked dealer to check this out a couple of times)
    - No cover gasket leaks to date
    - No check engine light (on this car - the 550 loves lighting that light)
    - Think so yes

Quite a few things were taken care of by the selling dealer (franchised Ferrari dealer) when I purchased it, including new rear light clusters, brake pads, AC regas.

whatheheck likes this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Awesome!

Thanks for sharing Darius.

Dan

16. frankgoodson