MLB 2018 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

MLB 2018

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Mar 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    i remember listening to Kalas and Ashburn call the game on the radio when his streak was broken. They were nearly in tears. And in those days, 6 or 7 innings wasn't a complete game for a starter

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The Nats (not my team) have enough talent to succeed. Unfortunately, the management and front office needs to find employment elsewhere. I would move Harper and others at the deadline. I agree with this assessment.

MLB.com -

This isn't going to happen. This ... probably isn't going to happen. It's difficult to see a perennial contender like Washington doing anything this crazy. But hear us out for a minute here, because the disappointing 42-43 Nats have gone just 9-21 since May 31. They're seven games out in the East and behind six teams in the NL Wild Card race. If it doesn't get better, what if they decided to take control of the Trade Deadline with both hands?

That could include moving Daniel Murphy, Ryan Madson, Gio Gonzalez, Matt Adams, the just-acquired Kelvin Herrera and, believe it or not, Bryce Harper. Again: this isn't going to happen. Yet if you squint hard enough, you could see them not rebuilding, but reloading, since they'd still have Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Trea Turner, Anthony Rendon, Doolittle, Adam Eaton and Juan Soto next year.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Interesting observations about baseball at the halfway point of the season:
    • The only four teams playing above .600 are in the American League, as are the only three teams playing below .400. But the division-leading team with the worst record, the Indians, has the biggest lead by far. In fact, it appears as if the five playoff teams in the A.L. are already decided; it would take a major meltdown in one of the five to allow anyone else back in the playoff picture.
    • I'd say that the major disappointment in the A.L. is the Blue Jays, who many people picked to win the East; the major surprise is the Mariners, who continue to hang tough against the Astros.
    • In the National League, everyone is between .600 and .400, which is either parity or mediocrity, depending on your point of view. And there are races in all three divisions, particularly the West, where four teams are in contention and even the Padres aren't necessarily dead yet.
    • The major disappointment in the N.L. is clearly the Nationals, who many people picked to win, not only the division, but the pennant and even the World Series. But they may yet be heard from. The Dodgers disappointed early but have come back to life. The major surprise are the Braves and the Phillies, who most people thought were both a year away. It remains to be seen who's still around in September.

4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jim, the Phils just started a 10 game road trip with a 17 run barrage against the sinking Pirates. If they get through this at, say 6-4, and they pick up a bat by the trade deadline, I think they'll stay in it. As a side note, you gentlemen who watch a lot of baseball, is it me or is there a LOT of fundamentally BAD baseball being played? Guys can't bunt, run the bases, know what base to throw to....and relievers starting a clean inning walk the lead off guy with alarming frequency.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The question about the Phillies is Gabe Kapler's sometimes bizarre decisions, which have been working well enough, but sometimes blow up in his face. I think the Braves and Phillies will both be relevant right to the end; the question is whether the Nationals will get their act together and join them.

As for bad baseball, there are two points I would agree with you on: bunting seems to have become something of a lost art, and pitchers (not just relievers) have been missing their targets, resulting in a lot of homers and a lot of walks. I think too many of them are overthrowing, trying for that 100 MPH fastball that few can actually obtain with control. (Aroldis Chapman continues to amaze me. How long can he keep routinely throwing over 100 MPH?)

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    One more thing, on an 0-2 count, a pitcher should NEVER give a batter a ball that he can hit in fair territory anywhere (or over the fence). The number of home runs hit on 0-2 pitches has become nauseating.

ralfabco likes this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow the Dodgers completely threw away a game last night to the Angels. Amateur hour!

8. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Astros team stats.

1st in wRC+ (116)
    Tied 3rd for K % (20.1%)
    3rd in OBP (.347)
    4th in SLG (.436)
    3rd in wOBA (.334)
    4th in OPS (.773)

THIS TO GO ALONG WITH

1st in SP FIP (3.21)
    1st in SP ERA (2.96, next closest is 3.27)
    2nd in SP xFIP (3.28), just behind the Dodgers 3.24, and well ahead of 3rd place 3.54
    1st in SP WAR (13.3, next closest is 11.4)

2nd in BP ERA (2.64)
    1st in BP FIP (2.81)
    1st in BP xFIP (3.07)
    3rd in BP WAR (4.4)

The pitching has been outstanding. I believe the hitting is beginning to improve.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    RE: bad fundamentals. In yesterday's Phils-Pirates game, a Phil (I'll be kind and not mention player) knocks in a run with a double, and WITH TWO OUTS late inning of a one run game. he decides to stretch it to a triple (remember I mentioned two were out) and gets snagged HALFWAY to third...tagged out in a run down. In little league we were taught never make the third out trying for third. JEEZ! Phils survived (Pirates stink) and are now again in FIRST!

10. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #135 ralfabco, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Blake Snell - S.P. Tampa Bay. No All Star game selection -

GP
    GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L P/GS WHIP BAA ERA
    19 19 0 0 116.0 75 29 27 12 44 132 12 4 99.4 1.03 .183 2.09

Remember: In the AL, the DH bats with the opposing team.

12-4 on a bad team (2.09 ERA) and no ASG nod.

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And I don't believe he's on the fans' ballot for the last spot on the team.

12. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    TOM C: misery is watching a Mets-Phils double bill. Phils strand 2,000 RISP and lose first game. Mets and Phils manage 2 hits each in nightcap. For second time in two days, Phils have runners first and second, no out, bunt is called. Batters bunts ball hard right back to pitcher....force out at third AAARRRGGGHHH.

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

nope

14. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #139 ralfabco, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Two days ago.

Yuli Gurriel on 3rd base with 1 out. Martwin Gonzalez turns around to bunt (twice) - 0-2 count and Yuli did not move a finger on 3rd base. Giolito throws the third pitch a strike and Yuli comes running towards home (a suicide squeeze) and Marwin lays a perfect bunt down the first base line, of the diamond. Nobody understood why Giolito threw a strike on an 0-2 count, to Marwin Gonzalez. Astros scored a run and were now up 2-1 late in the game.

15. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    TexasF355F1 likes this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Bob...the road to the World Series goes through south Philly!

TheMayor likes this.
  18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's the most competitive division in baseball. Any of those top 4 teams could win it.

19. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    O's are carrot dangling Manny Machado, to at least five different teams. If I were the O's I would wrap it up immediately just after the ASG. If you over-play your cards for a rental (from the O's perspective) it can blow up in your face at the last minute.

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The shifts in the AL are interesting. Boston and Houston have put a little distance to New York and Seattle, while Minnesota got hot and is making the Central more interesting. We'll see what happens after the break.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. Even the Giants still have a chance.

22. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Some fans like to gloat over a teams performance during the regular season and portend this will carry over into the post-season. (Jim - not you).

Remember a few key points. Some of the less talented pitchers will never pick up a ball in the post season. The 25 man rosters will be different. How you performed in May might be different when it comes October. The strategy will also be different in post season ball. Does anyone remember the 'hot' LA Angels from April 2018 ? Advantage for the hot team that enters the post-season.

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The epitome of that is the 2001 Seattle Mariners, who won 116 regular-season games but didn't even make it to the World Series.

ralfabco likes this.
  24. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Teams need five starters all year, then need only 3 in the post season. Phils finished 10 game road trip at 5-5, clinging to first place at AS break.

25. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Back to backs by 'stros! And Bregman ****ing hacked his homer. LMAO

ralfabco likes this.