What's For Dinner? | Page 336 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK. I'm rehydrated.

Fish was red snapper. 5 min per side, direct heat. Then move to indirect side and cook until 135 F.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I used this as a cooking guide. The hint on using a carving fork to test if the fish is ready to turn /release from the grate was a top tip.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/07/whole-grilled-fish-olive-tomato-compote-recipe.html

I didn't do the compote, just pick the meat from the bones with a fork, squeeze some lime on and mangia.

Fortunately, being married to Mrs. Squeamish, I didn't have to fight anyone for the succulent head /neck /collar meat. Well, actually I did have a wing man. Or, rather wing dog. She loves fish. Put a few small bits on her kibble and that was all she wrote.

T

piratepress likes this.
  2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

tomc likes this.
  3. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron

The fairs that are run by a troop of performers/re-enactors ( http://renfair.com/bristol/ ), sell among their fare, large portabella caps that are marinated and grilled, using garlic, onion, wine and such. I do a simple variation on that, cooking them alongside a main dish with the caps filled with a touch of lemon juice, coconut vinegar and aminoes, salt, honey, and oil.

tomc likes this.
  4. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
  5. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I had a late brunch. Around 5pm I went to DQ for a banana split. It was filling and became my dinner.

6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Had dinner with some friends yesterday made Halibut on the grill, steamed green beans, and a big 'ole salad. Oh, and fresh strawberries for dessert!

Then went home and cooked off a half turkey breast and small pork tenderloin for lunches this week. Was a good weekend!

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What did you sprinkle on the mango?

106 F. I wimped out even though I so wanted to grill pizza on the Egg.

Dough from Central Market. One Margherita pizza. Cheese didn't get as gooey as I like. Odd. Taste was fine though.

Gruyere, red onion and shiitake mushrooms. The better one IMO. Nice nutty flavor in the gruyere to go with umami of the shiitake. Two thumbs up.

This wine. A bit better than the 3.3 it gets from Vivino I think.

T

8. Sonoma

Sonoma Rookie

May 7, 2017
    Wine Country
    Tom, it looks as though your mozzarella on your Margherita pizza was too dry to start with. If it doesn’t have enough moisture it kind of separates and gets all lumpy. I like the vac-packed chub of whole milk mozz from Trader Joe’s for pizza...

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, I am sure you're exactly right. It was the last bit from a huge bag of mozzarella that the wife got at Costco. It clumped up in the bag and I broke it up with my fingers before sprinkling it on the pizza skin. Now, I just need to convince my wife to stop buying mozz by the ton at Costco!
    T

10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    They both look tasty to me, that mushroom one though....extra yummy!!

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, Jdubbya. It was definitely the better tasting of the two, IMO. I usually pre-cook the pizza skins, but it was so darn hot, I didn't want to be bothered, and so put on the toppings and just cooked everything all at once. Worked out good, suprisingly good I would say. Crust was nice and crispy, which is how the wife and I like it...T

12. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    It was 90F here in the pacific northwest, that's hot for us. So like most houses here, I don't have A/C. It was too hot to cook in the house. Made a simple salad with some chicken added in. I bought a cooked chicken at Safeway. Used Olive Garden dressing bought at Costco. It was tasty.

13. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Another 90F day here. Its too hot to cook. I'm going to head out for a drive to cool off in A/C.... I'll pick up some fast food, probably Fatburger. Feel like a margarita and they make them there.

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Get a frozen 'rita, but take Uber, so you can have 3 or 4! Tonight is pasta w/ seafood...T

15. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    We don't have Uber unfortunately! We also have very strict drinking and driving laws. At one point it was the strictest in North America (it probably still is). Here we have a non criminal DUI that kicks in at 0.05%

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's good. Pardon me for saying so, but anyone who drinks and drives really needs to lose their license and get some jail time. Maybe one of your harem of ladies can drive you?!?

Scallops with leftover pasta. Nothing too involved. Scallops were on special at Costco. Butter/olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Cooked about 5 min or so. Put on angel hair. A little crushed red pepper. Wife is not a fan of scallops, so I did a batch of shrimp for her, also sourced at Costco.
    T

17. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Dinner was a solo mission tonight... Felt like a summer drink and burger. It was good. Very juicy because they under cooked it. I didn't complain.

18. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    @tomc, a little cinnamon on the mango. Not sure the variety.

How long have you and your wing man been together, tom?

19. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just had another late dinner after a long day. An earmof kern orn and orn polenta with blueberries, rosemary tarragon fried tomato.

20. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron

Just had another late dinner after a long day. An ear of kern orn and corn polenta with blueberries, rosemary tarragon fried tomato.

SCFerrari likes this.
  21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We got the Princess @ the pound almost 10 years ago today. I totally disapproved when the wife did it, but I am now glad she did! She's keeping me company while I work on reports and skim F-chat.

Ron - are those tomatoes from your garden? They look fabulous...T

22. Streetsurfer

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Good morning.....

No, they’re from a farmer’s market. Lisa works two different ones on weekends for a gal with a berry farm from Michigan. One local and one in Kenosha. Blueberries, corn ear and tomatoes are from there.

My garden attempts failed miserably this year due to way too much rain. Most all is in containers. What is in the ground failed - garlic and some herbs. Containers have some more herbs, just now rebounding from the stress of wet feet, and a tote of beets and carrots are barely hanging on.

23. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Oh, police here can suspend people at the roadside if they suspect impairment. Its can be up to 48hrs in suspension. The non criminal DUI is impound of the car for a week, a week license suspension and fines. With the impound fee's, its very expensive. police here can do DUI roadblocks too. The probable cause to pull over is very weak and so is the bar to demand a breath test. You'd be nuts to drink and drive here. We also don't let Americans with DUI's visit Canada.

I like that we are tough on drinking and driving.

24. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I decided to try a cooking a flat iron steak. I was given the cast iron pan some time back and seasoned it etc. Used it several times but not for steak. I was the only one home and decided to give it a try with a bone in rib eye. It came out very good! I was pleasantly surprised! I went with some info I found on the net but I now know to take some time off the cooking times as it came out medium and I like it at least medium rare.

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice. They look great. We've given up on "in ground" farming. Every time we've tried planting stuff in the back yard, it upsets Mother Nature and is too hot, too rainy, too dry. Everything now is in containers or this raised bed set up the wife for from Costco. The latter is doing great thus far. I have to get up early and see if our local farmers market has tomatoes. With temps > 100 F and climbing, our raised bed maters have slowed down in the past week. The hot peppers are going strong though. Eggplants are doing well.
    T

Streetsurfer likes this.