The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread | Page 26 | FerrariChat

The New Fiat 500 Abarth (only) Thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by dave80gtsi, Apr 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    When closed, the cabrio top offers a couple of additional inches of head room as compared to the hardtop.

And when open, you have all of the headroom that you could ever need …

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    It is a great car to drive alone, or with a skinny model in the passenger seat ;) I very much enjoy driving it alone, not for size/space, but because I love tossing it around. I am very overweight right now, but I never feel cramped.

ShineKen likes this.
  3. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    Well guys, I said good bye to my Abarth about 2-months ago.

Traded her in for a 2018 Golf R.

Golf R is an excellent daily driver, a night and day difference from the Abarth, but there's definitely a fun factor missing from the R that the Abarth had.

If Fiat can get their act together, improve quality and add some performance (hopefully a US Competizone model), I could see myself getting back into an Abarth in the future.

myronx19 and duskybird like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    To me the fun factor is big considering I have lots of other cars to satisfy other buckets, luxury etc.

So what makes the golf R so great?

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

5. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    ^^^^^This^^^^^
    Or another run (this time including North America) of Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari's!

myronx19 likes this.
  6. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Mine is 6 yrs old, 73k on it. Other than warranty work ive only done the front brakes. Which cost a little over a hundred from Rock auto for rotors and pads.
    Been very reliable. Just today as parking some ladies complimented it.

7. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Went to check one out yesterday didn't drive it but the sound definitely made me giggle. Considerably more narrow on the inside than my 03 Mini. Gotta find one with a sunroof now though as this one didn't have it. The two incoming to the dealer didn't have sunroofs either?
    I do get jealous seeing these park in Manhattan as they fit in spots that I can't. With all the proposed bike lanes I may need to seriously consider this little thing. Good to hear that they're reliable.

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    My DD Abarth now has 66K+ miles at 5.5 years of age, and remains bullet-proof. Other than oil/filters/tires/battery/front brakes (all consumables), the only other thing I've noticed is that several bulbs have burned out- both brake lights, one headlight and one daytime running light. Overall, very reliable, and still fun.
    The sunroof is a must unless you have headroom issues- opens nearly as much as the Cabrio, at a fraction of the extra cost.

TestShoot likes this.
  9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    The Fiat is great because it is specifically not a Golf, or FiST, or Miata. It is great because something fun happened in a car with the bar set so low. Sadly for us we will never see the great 695 cars here, they just don't sell enough of them to justify it because the dealers want to flood the market with crappy lease-queen camry alternatives like the masershi**y gibblet and alfa ghouls.

I drove my Abarth to drop off packages at the UCLA campus Amazon locker, and girls kept taking pictures of and with my car. I am rolling around my canyon everyday, getting in to tiny spots, getting great fuel economy, but I am not going to win a horsepower race.

10. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Mine is a 2013, has 130K kms on it now. A lot of fun to drive, and I love the noise!

- Rear main seal changed at 70K kms
    - Oil pan replaced (due to leak)
    - Oil filter housing replaced (another leak)
    - Input shaft seal started leaking last year, I'm nursing it (out of warranty now, will repair myself - it's a $20 part.. but of course the transmission has to come off.. again! Will do the clutch while I'm in there.)
    - Axle seal leaked so bad I had to tow it home (repaired myself)
    - Shifter ends have broken 3 times (I've replaced them now with bushingfix.com units)
    - Door handles have broken due to seized hinge pins in the handle (bad design for salt belt climate)
    - rapid ball joint wear
    - Paint delaminated off the intermediate piece just before the sunroof
    - hatch is rusting by the emblem
    - Speedometer only works sometimes (have to rely on the digital display)
    - ECU replaced (under warranty)
    - Tons of coolant leaks when temps dip below zero (****ty OE clamps, replaced with better ones - no more leaks)

Other than that, it's been great! lol...

11. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Does anyone have any idea how to make the USB media play in order? I have a series of lectures labeled 001_name 002_name 101_ name, 706_ name etc.

I have autoplay, repeat, and shuffle turned off, but when I hit the next track button it jumps to a random number instead of being in order.

12. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Hi All, I find the steering has a dead spot on center that I find really annoying (feels like a worn out steering box except it's brand new ). Do any of you have this issue? I called the dealer and they say normal.
    Thanks,
    Dave

13. Mr. Francesco

Mr. Francesco F1 Rookie

Oct 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mr. Francesco
    It's hard to say. Truthfully, the R is pretty much a computer on wheels.

I have some amenities in the R that I didn't have in the Fiat (heated seats, navigation, infotainment) that make daily driving more enjoyable.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I hear ya. I think I have heated seats on my 2017. I have the infotainment also. The navigation is really slow and not user friendly.

I really like small European go kart type cars - Id like to try the golf R and the Ford one day.

I've had the fiat for 18 months and I still smile and grin. The light modifications I made (intake, ECU, short shifter) definitely contribute to the fun factor.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

15. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Did you order the Centric brand rotors and pads? (they sell them in axle and whole car kits). I need brakes all around, so I figured this was the most cost efficient. Just curious if the rotors have warped or if you noticed any issues with the pads (dust, lack of braking! :) )

The Centric rotors and pads look to be a decent value, even if they're most likely from China.

16. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I beat mine like a rented mule, no problems. Maybe all of you with issues are not driving them hard enough :po_O
    Are you on a thumbdrive or an iPod? I think the system may be going by date the file was last modified/created on your device (if not an iPod), not sure, it's a guess but I have had that as an issue on older devices that play MP3s.

17. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    This doesn't sound fun. I don't consider 130k kms to be a lot. The one local grey one with a sunroof has 60k miles. Haven't had a chance to go take a look yet and am away for the rest of the week.

myronx19 likes this.
  18. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Side note: I went to place my phone on the passenger seat this morning and overnight a rather industrious spider built a large web-partition between driver and passenger seat. It is one of two families of spiders, a black widow (I have been bitten 3 times in this house) or a giant Orb Weaver. I am probably only going to find out in rush hour traffic.

daviday likes this.
  19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    It's a shame your car burned to the ground. Ah well....

carguyjohn350 and duskybird like this.
  20. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Not a fan of spiders 'eh? :D

21. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Im not sure tbh. Was few yrs ago now, around 38k im at 73k now. They were solid, not drilled or anything. Have been fine.

myronx19 likes this.
  22. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Thought I must have jinxed myself, as the "Check Engine" light came on the other day at about 66,500 miles, but before I could stop at the dealer or borrow an OBD-II scanner, it went out. The car ran- and still runs- fine, despite the brief appearance of the warning light.

23. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Be sure to check the oil, particularly if it happened in acceleration or a turn. Well, I’m not even sure.....is the check engine light separate from low oil pressure warning?

The only light I ever got aside from the esc flashing when not disabled, was due to old gas and a resultant interruption by the ecu to prevent knock.

5 years coming up in September and 7515 miles. Nothing has happenedneeding mechanical repair....only a loosened fuel tank skid plate from impacting a badger.

I did find out the other night during a quick string check that I have excess toe in at the right rear. I am going to look at it under better conditions and see if thrust angle can be corrected via loosening the rear beam in the mounts. Some play for this is or may be available according to the manual, but I don’t know if it will be in my favor. There’s a 9/32” gap from string to tire on the right side - a 1/16” gap string to tire on the left side. Still have to check set back, but wanted to park it better and set up skids under the front tires for easier centering of the wheel. Might take a look at it again today.

I spent yesterday readying the garage for more work....which included finding and removing a dead rodent. Thankfully it was in a garden shed nearby, not the garage or shop itself.

greg328 likes this.
  24. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Definitely not an oil surge issue (and I assume the sump is decently baffled), as I'm fanatical about keeping the oil topped up, especially on turbo cars.
    In any event, the light hasn't returned and, as I said, the car runs fine, so I'm not too concerned . . .

25. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    5 year old grandson question today:

"Grandpa, why does your little red car have a picture of a black lobster?"

TestShoot and riccardone like this.