2010 California roof 95% closed how can i fix it? Hammer ;-) | FerrariChat

2010 California roof 95% closed how can i fix it? Hammer ;-)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FCLR101, Jul 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FCLR101

FCLR101 Rookie

Jul 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Hepworth
    I have a 2010 california that has had intermittent roof open and close issues. Unfortunately I didn't read the forums about the drivers side triangle flap not properly opening and closing until the roof was stuck with the drivers side mostly closed and the passengers side fully closed for the top. It's easy to see the drivers side "triangle leather" trim piece is not closed and is some how stuck in the half up/down position.

Is there any way to manually operate the roof back open so i can just pull the triangle trim piece up then close it? I am 500 miles from a dealer and really don't want to trailer this thing back to a dealer to fix it. I just want to open it then close it so i can get the top to close watching that piece. If i do decide to keep it then i can watch the piece to be sure it is popping up to the same height as the passengers side when the top is opened and closed. Or preferably get the thing somewhat functional so i can trade or sell it to buy a car that actually works (I've opened the top about 5 times since i bought it with 10K miles, my McLaren and Gallardo topless have opened hundreds of times - zero problems..... not trying to start a post war, its just reality) like the non convertible 458.

If there is a way to manually operate the roof i would appreciate it if i could get some help showing me how to do so, else i will work on getting the 7lb sledge to pound it into place ;-) - JK. Well maybe not.

Love the car though and would like to keep it in the collection.

Thanks for any help.

2. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I don’t recall reading a manual way to open the roof, only a procedure to manually close the roof in the manual. If you manually close the roof you then have to take it to the dealer for repairs. You might read the procedure in your manual and see if it tells you when to pull the flaps up and if you are required to disconnect anything from the flaps before raising them. If not you might be able to operate the roof to a position where you can manually pull the flap and then complete the roof cycle.

3. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I had problems with my roof and the only fix was for the dealer to replace a sensor(s). When I couldn't close it, I would open it all the way, restart the car, open and close all of the windows, and eventually I would get it closed.

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    James, it's really unfortunate that you have this problem, while located so far from a dealer.

The hardtop roof mechanism is quite complicated and one needs to be very careful when addressing any problems with it. You best approach is to contact your regular dealer, give them all the information you have and have them advise you on your best recourse. Since your roof is already in a off-kilter position, you risk bending part of the mechanism or even a roof panel if you make the wrong move with it. That can make you situation much worse. Your problem may just be mechanical at the moment but if you bend a panel or crack a glass repairs may involve body work and an additional shop and labour.

These are expensive, complicated machines and unless you are in the auto repair business, your options are limited when something goes wrong. With inexpensive DIY projects, we write them off, toss them if we mess up but we cannot do that with an expensive car. I strongly suggest you ask advice from your regular dealer. They may be able to suggest a workaround but you may have to bite the bullet about the trailer. Good luck!

azlin75 likes this.
  5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah judging from the photos a trip to the dealer is the only way I’d go, I mis understood what you were referring to when I first read your post. At this point if it were me I’d not try to operate the top at all and I’d get an appointment with your service dept. ASAP.

Andrew Pour likes this.
  6. FCLR101

FCLR101 Rookie

Jul 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Hepworth
    OK thanks for the help, not happy ferrari owner. Will stick with other brands we have had almost no issues with, 2nd bad ferrari broke after a few months.

7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Roof sensors are one the the downfalls of the California, though I think all ferrari’s have one issue or another. Do you have the new power warranty? If so I believe the roof issue would be covered.

8. FCLR101

FCLR101 Rookie

Jul 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Hepworth
    #9 FCLR101, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    A warranty for a car the is 6 years old with full service and low miles is an indication that the manufacturer made a bad product from my experience. No reason to list the many other cars I have that have not been trailered to dealers for anything other than complex maintenance (none Ferrari) as my intent was to ask for help and I am thankful for the replies. Ferrari California will be for sale in salt lake city with ~ 56k in options once the roof is fixed. Sounds like I won't have an issue selling it as there seems to be a solid following that knows the complexity and enjoy this about the car. Seriously a 120K$ usd is considered an expensive car, come on are we Porsche owners?

Again thanks for the help. I appreciate it and please PM me if you are in the market for a very nice we'll maintained and almost perfect California.

I do reserve the right to use a 15lb sledge on it to get the roof in. Maybe thats why our aventador has manual roof panels:)

9. GNU

GNU Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    Not to add insult to injury but the roof is actually made by Webasto.
    The good thing about that is that you can take it to a VW dealer and ask how they fix it on a VW EOS (almost identical roof)
    https://www.webasto.com/us/markets-products/car/convertible-roof-systems/retractable-hardtops/

I’ve have a 2011 California and have noticed that there are a couple of things you can do to improve the performance of the roof.
    1. Operate the roof with the engine on to give it more power. It is much less likely to get stuck when it’s moving faster.
    2. Make sure to lubricate all rubber seals with Krytox (get it from VW or Amazon.com)
    This makes the panels much less likely to get stuck together.

Good luck!

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I can understand where you are coming from, and it would be worse for you owning other exotic cars. I only asked about the new power warranty because if you bought it from a Ferrari dealer they generally come with 1 year of new power warranty but I could be wrong there. Good luck with the repair and sale.

11. FCLR101

FCLR101 Rookie

Jul 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Hepworth
    VW to the rescue! Thank you much for the info, it looks like they are the same, I'll try the VW dealer for sure thank you so much.

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #13 4th_gear, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    These are good points. Actually, the Webasto roof has actually been used in the M-B SL-Klasse R230 since 2001 and in the SLK-Klasse R170 since 1996. I'm talking about the legendary Mercedes SL. The EU Cali came out in 2008, the VW Eos in 2006.

Google "SLK R170 roof won't close" and see what you come up with. This is way before Ferrari, Volvo or VW started using the same mechanism.

None of this is new.

However, keep in mind every one of these cars has its own unique body panels and glass so if you let a VW dealer try to fix the Cali's roof, that dealer will likely refuse or if they try to do you a favour, they will say they can only do their best and will not be liable for any unexpected problems. You can also try an indy who works on SL and SLK roofs but you will have to accept the same risks.

IMO, the truth is that when you own one of these cars you bought at market prices (i.e. not a salvaged car at crazy low-ball prices), you own an expensive fussy asset that can get further damaged if you have an unauthorized service shop experiment with it.

So in a way, this is why these cars are so expensive because this forces owners to have them properly-serviced to protect their purchases. It protects (your) resale value. It may not always be this way as time passes and poor (salvaged) specimens accumulate on the market but those cars will likely stop working pretty quickly... because owners will skip maintenance. These cars are (purposely) not simple or inexpensive cars to maintain - no service manuals + requirement for special tools + factory training + expensive parts. High cost of proper maintenance can be a shock for owners but that's partly how exotics maintain resale value. Even Wikipedia says this about the Eos hardtop roof...

"...Periodic maintenance must be done to keep the seals conditioned so that they function properly. Early models had a different seal design that was prone to leaking, but these were updated in the 2009/2010 timeframe. Proper body alignment is critical for proper top function..."

So using a proper rubber seal lubricant is a good idea, not so much because the seals might stick to the rear lid but because it will allow the seals to work properly and also eliminate noises caused when dry seals move against the lids as your car goes over nasty stretches of road. It's the same with noisy door seals. Krytox is non-silicone so it should not damage the paint.

13. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Which Krytox product are you guys referring to, as they make many different lubricants? Thanks in advance..

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Yes the early Calis had more glitches. However, your car is 8 years old. A variety of age related issues may be the fault and have nothing to do with any design imperfection.

It seems that your distance from a dealer is a concern. But aside from extra cost,many owners flatbed the car to the dealer, even for routine service.

Its July, perhaps it doesn’t need the extra expense of a covered trailer ( don’t know weather conditions of your location) But obviously when the top is fixed , flat bed tow for the return is fine.

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Maybe send it back to where you bought it. Have them fix it and sell it and send you the cash.

16. GNU

GNU Rookie

Sep 28, 2014
    I have used a couple of different ones.
    This one is the best of the ones I’ve used:
    WV part number: G-052-172-A1 G052172A1

The effect is similar to that of a good leather treatment. It not only lubricates but also softens the seals up. Preventing it from cracking and/or sticking.

17. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    Wghat is the average cost of the roof repair on the Cali?
    if it's sensor related

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I suspect you're wondering because you've considered buying the car.

Unfortunately roof problems are not all the same. How much they cost to fix depend on how fast the actual cause in each case is identified as well as how much work is involved in the repairs. The culprits could be misalignment, damaged mechanism, defective wiring, defective sensor, failed hydraulic pump or issues with lubrication. The repairs could, in addition to fixing the culprits involve repairing dent(s) on the roof panel that can be caused by some malfunctions, cleanup of hydraulic leak, replacement of failed parts.

If you're thinking of buying one of these cars, my advice is to look at the cost of extended warranty and either buy them or if you don't buy warranty, to set aside the equivalent of at least 3 years of warranty as a repair budget when you buy the car. People sell extended warranties to make a profit so they know the odds and costs of repairs covered by their policies. Keep in mind, wear and tear items are not covered by any warranty.

I bought my car new and used it as much as I could to flush out any issues as well as test out how reliable my dealer's service department is. We only have one dealer in my province. After 3 years I felt confident enough to forego extended warranty as my factory warranty expired. My car is now in its 6th year and I only had one service that warranty might have been covered - noisy fuel pumps resolved for about $600 when the car was 4 years old.

No longer having a warranty also freed me to apply aftermarket performance upgrades to my car. ;)

19. FCLR101

FCLR101 Rookie

Jul 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Hepworth
    Fixed it. No dealer, no complex machine mechanic looking at it (this is an eos and MB SLK roof as mentioned above, a bit complex with all these nylon cables - well somewhat), looks like previous ferrari dealers have messed with this many times given the scratches and other stretching on the area i flipped some plastic pieces around.

PM me if you want to know what to watch for, the person posting about the drivers side triangle piece is one part of the problem, so you dont get into this situation. Not sure how the f-dealers that have everyone convinced a VW.MB roof is somehow special will respond if i post the fix here, dont want to ruin their 20K fixing scheme ;-) . None the less fixed and i now know what to look for so it wont happen again.

Thanks for the assistance, the roof reset help was a a big part of the reset once all was righted.\

Oh and my wife, whom is the supercar fanatic that buys these for us, informed me it is a 2012 not a 2010 california. Not sure it matters, but just to be clear.

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Perhaps this is just me, but I find this post a bit impolite.

Youve taken the time to complain about a problem with considerable detail and then expressed your disgust with the brand with some ‘whiskey talk’ about selling the car.

However, many have offered their insight and help.

Now that it’s fixed, you deign not to waste your valuable time to explain the actual problem or solution.Perhaps this ican be explained since you didint even know the correct model year of your car and may be equally unqualified to understand your mechanical problems or their eventual solution.

Anyway, this is one of the reasons why I believe FChat is not the place to discuss mechanical issues. It is better used to express your passion for the brand with pictures, anecdotes and stories about new and collectible FCars,

Buckwest and 4th_gear like this.
  21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have sensed the same although I respond by bucking the proclivity for chit-chats and cliques by contributing more in a technical manner instead because many owners also use FChat seeking advice to potentially costly problems or projects and I also enjoy the learning process that comes from analyzing and debating technical ideas.

IMO, to post a truly helpful response to someone's problem, one needs to make a good attempt to explain, provide details and generally ensure readers can actually benefit from your comment(s). So while I can appreciate someone's disappointment with their car woes, one shouldn't add salt to other people's wounds by being coy and tantalizing.

22. 348flyguy

348flyguy Rookie

Jan 1, 2010
    I could not Agree more..

23. BOOMER7

BOOMER7 Karting

Jan 3, 2009
    lol
    the roof situation is obviously an "imperfection" in the car
    just like in the SLK
    they should gave corrected it in the production run when it started being an issue.

24. RDES

RDES Rookie

Jul 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ryan Deslippe
    Does anyone know how this guy ended up fixing the hardtop problem himself?