2018 German GP (Hockenheim) (July 20 - 22) - Pre -Race news | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2018 German GP (Hockenheim) (July 20 - 22) - Pre -Race news

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Here we go again! :)

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I was there, first time I saw a Ferrari win a GP, had an FIA guest pass too:) In the Ferrari pit someone asked a Gentleman to take a photo of them and Alboreto, they did not realize that the Gentleman was Gianni Agnelli (head of Fiat, unofficial King of Italy;-) but he graciously obliged.

Francois Hesnault was driving a third Renault with a camera an on the grid just before drivers got in their cars someone leaned on my shoulder and yelled "Don't break ze kar and ze Kamera ja?!" It was Manfred Winkelhock. Hesnault's answer was unprintable.

Weeks later Winkelhock died in Mosport. I also saw Bellof there and at Spa the following month scathingly fast at Eau Rouge in the 956...then drove home and heard the news of his passing the next day...

Ferrari 308 GTB, NEP, stavura and 6 others like this.
  3. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    Could be as even with spec 1 Kimi is keeping up with the Mercs and Seb. There's theories that he is indeed running spec 1 pu, but using some upgraded parts from what's being used on spec 2 engines.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Jack-the-lad likes this.
  5. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    @jgonzalesm6 - I know I don't say this nearly enough... but thank you for all the amazing insider pictures. Seeing all the parts and changes to the cars from GP to GP gives an amazing insight to just how on the limit F1 really is in the way of design and competition. I would not have the understanding nor appreciation for such things without all of the high quality, intelligent photography you bring here. Thanks again brother!

6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

LOL Ok Mark. Trivializing drivers?? They are trivial. They are not curing cancer and helping orphans on a daily basis. Thats a bit difficult to do on the jet ski avoiding taxes in Monaco. Please oh please 'get over yourself' and that you were a 'driver'. There are hero''s on earth. None are piloting F1 machines.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/137469/webber-f1-has-gone-too-far-with-access

Grand prix winner Mark Webber believes Formula 1 has already gone "too far" with fan access and that the series is in danger of "trivialising" drivers.

F1 has often been criticised for being too closed off to fans. But, after his debut in the World Endurance Championship, Fernando Alonso said that the access fans have in the WEC would not work in F1 as it would cause drivers to "hide even more".

Webber, who won the WEC with Porsche in 2015 and is a regular fixture on Channel 4's F1 coverage, sided with Alonso.

He told Autosport: "You've got to be very careful because the drivers still need to be heroes and something that's still a little bit hard to touch and feel.

"We might have gone a bit too far with that in terms of access and social media. We've got to be careful we don't trivialise their profession.

"Roger Federer is not doing any interviews before Wimbledon. Access has absolutely got to be kept an eye on."

Webber was speaking at the Goodwood Festival of Speed as Porsche celebrated its 70th anniversary.

tomc likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I would agree with Webber that over the years, the public has been increasingly demanding.
    Any Tom, Dick and Harry thinks that because he has bought a ticket, he is entitled to pester the dtrivers to get autographs, selfies and chats.
    That's beyond ridiculous now. How can we not expect some to react negatively to this circus?
    The FIA has also imposed stage-managed press conferences, interviews and such-like that are becoming really tiresome for the participants, obviously.
    This is so fake it's embarrassing to watch. They should just cut it out altogether.
    IMO; only the sponsors and the team can make PR demands on a driver.

8. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I agree.
    The official press conferences in small room have a special intensity and are worth watching.

The WrestleMania-style interviews straight after race on grid are cringe inducing. Nobody said Liberty Media were going to be a class act. Compulsory spandex will be next

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    G. Pepper and A348W like this.
  10. DF1

#36 DF1, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Unless you are in the paddock or garage with the right people no one has access to the driver's more than in the past. They may interview them at a different time but thats part of the job. This hardly brings a fan closer. Its window dressing. The PR demand outside of the pre or post race sessions are contractual. They are so not over-worked. Just ask Kimi. You can say one word to answer a question and provide the requirement to be part of an event. I have ZERO sympathy for those pursuing very public exposure to gain wealth via F1 driving. Grow up and deal with it.

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In fact, the drivers and team officials are required to attend these press conférences , under the threat of fines imposed by the FIA.
    Because it's so repetitive, and so orchestrated, these PR events become meaningless.
    One car clearly see that some participants are present under duress.
    Also, the post race interviews on the podium make me cringe and switch off the box in a hurry.
    Frankly, Liberty has to rethink its approach to PR; at the moment, it's gross, and too NASCAR.

12. DF1

Im open to a new way to do it. The volume may or may not drop but in general they are not so stressful for what they are. Its a known part of the game. I have zero sympathy.

13. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Put him in Grosjean's Haas.

15. jgonzalesm6