scotch suggestion | Page 30 | FerrariChat

scotch suggestion

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by EDWARD C., Dec 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    They are my cold weather favorites, and I have several on the shelf. My favorites are Laphroaig (the 18 was magnificent, but is now extinct due to their move to "no age statement" bottles. Their Lore is almost as good, but not quite. I also have a bottle of their PX cask I picked up en route back to the USA a couple years ago. Lagavulin's 16 should be in everyone's collection, and it is still pretty affordable. One of my all-time favorite Islay malts is Ardbeg's Uigeadail, a real punch in the mouth, but very good drink. For a bottle that I think many might miss, but would enjoy, try Caol Ila. Their 18yo (released last year) is good to great. The 12 is also pretty good; phenol & smoke, but pretty light on the palate. Campbeltown is on its way back now (finally). If I had to pick one, I'd go with Springbank's 15. The surge in whisky prices globally will likely see some old distilleries restarted in the region, since it is really well suited to the task.

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Same here. Enjoy them more than the lighter ones.

3. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I just finished the springbank local barley 11 and it’s by far the best springbank I’ve had, besides the 12 year cask strength, and the burgundy.

I think there is a place for lagavulin, I like the 8 year limited they have going on and the laphroaig cairdeas releases are always solid.

I like my bowmore and ardbeg, I prefer the corryvreckan to uigeadail and the an oa is better than both for the price. Bowmore limited editions are great but their current line up needs some help

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    felt like a little sweet, so just had a dram of coureur des bois on ice.

5. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    I've never had it, but it looks pretty interesting. Next time I'm up there (not seeing any US distributors), I'll give it a shot.
    Of course, Fireball is also uses Canadian whiskey as a base, so you never know...

6. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Same thing with whistlepig, Canadian whiskey

7. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    My wife just gave me a bottle of Whistlepig, 10 year old, 58.1% alcohol (116 proof!). Great, veeerry strong drink. I've tried it neat and with ice; the ice helps lower the shock to the system just a little bit. Not for beginners, but smoother than one might think & great nose & taste.

MK1044 likes this.
  8. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Higher proof can deter a lot of drinkers who aren’t used to it, and a lot of companies do a good job (sazerac, bookers, Elijah Craig) in being able to tame the burn. But some are just really bad, but higher proof doesn’t always mean you’re going to get a harse mouth full of whiskey

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    MK1044 likes this.
  10. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Andrew, here's why you can't find Edradour outside Britain: early this month my wife Judith and I spent a week at the Atholl Palace Hotel in Pitlochry, locus of the Edradour distillery. One day before lunch she went for a long walk, wound up at the Edradour Distillery and did their tour. She learned that they bottle only three percent of their production for sale direct to the public. They sell 97% of their production to the major blenders which is why some of the special blends, e.g. Johnny Walker Blue, are so very expensive.

11. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I did the tour too! It's a very charming distillery. :D Did you go?

Also, I recall them saying that their output over a whole year is smaller than the output of the larger producers over a single day. They're the smallest distillery in Scotland, by output and by the number of staff (only 3 employees when I went).

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    As I wrote, we stayed at the Atholl Palace and it was quite a long-ish walk - Judith is 39+ and a walker and I'm thirteen years from being a centenarian so no, I didn't get to Edradour - to my regret.

13. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I didn't realize you were one of our elder statesmen on FChat. I thought you were under 50, so I guess the saying about only being as old as the women you feel rings true. :)

Next time you're in Scotland, drive to Edradour or Glengoyne. Nice drives to get to both and the tours are excellent.

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Fifty, Andrew? Ah yes, I remember it well! ;)

And we thank you for your support!

Now, incredibly, yesterday I stopped by my local spirits purveyor - they really have as complete an inventory as anyone north of New York City. And what do you suppose I discovered? Two 750cl bottles of Edradour Aged 10 Years - "The Distillery Edition Handmade in the Pocket Glen."

Which of course had to be liberated immediately.

One fifth for Judith, one fifth for the 49 year-old.

I'll be checking for replenishment.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a collection these days, and one of my favorites is Dalmore Cigar Malt. I also have a Dalmore 30 year old which is very good.

16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Recently bought, but have yet to try, Kirkland Signature 20-year single malt from Costco. $58.

Also, Costco has a 50-year Glenfiddich for $30K.

Almost splurged...

CW

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  17. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Nice, I’d splurge if it was an Islay distillery

18. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  19. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Have you tried the Kirkland 20-year yet? Very curious how it is!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Sadly, no. Have been traveling. Won't have a chance until after Thanksgiving. But, when I do, I'll report.

CW

21. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I posted in the Bourbon/ Scotch thread but does anyone like Balvenie Caribbean Cask? Its aged in rum barrels and subtly picks up the rum spice flavor.

22. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I had a bottle of it, the rum was a bit much on it, though rum hasn’t sat well with me since I had sailor Jerry’s some moons ago.

23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I'm inclined to reply I like anything Balvenie, though I've not had the Caribbean Cask. Our standard scotch pour is the 12 year doublewood. I still have a couple of bottles of 15 year-old single cask bottled at 94 proof - can't figure why they're now bottling the 15 year at 47 proof. When my wife and I were in Scotland in July we hard that Balvenie and several other distillers were closed due to the drought: blue cloudless skies, no rain, rivers low, insufficient water in the Spey to run the distillery.

24. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Mostly I drink Bowmore 15 and keep a bottle at home. The only local bar stocks it happens to be near the municipal offices and courts. I like the 18 as well but don't get it that often.

25. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I suggest Dorus mor if you see it, great pick