Official book collectors thread | Page 98 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    #2426 Ferrari27, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Yes. I have "Mon Ami Mate" and "All About The Boy!". Not as much written about Peter Collins as there is on some of the other drivers of the time.

Some of the original artwork used on Mon Ami Mate was sold at auction in the UK earlier this month. I was tempted but...

2. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Robert
    Collins has a very good book already - "All About the Boy". We think that a book about the memorabilia would have limited appeal. If we do a book about the 50s (and then the 60s?) we would cover road and race, but with documents and photos mainly not seen before.
    Nathan

ChoroQ likes this.
  3. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Phillipe
    Did you visit the exhibition?
    Can I refer you to this post?
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146014670/
    Nathan

4. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    That, and potentially a follow up 1960s book, would be sublime. I equally like the idea of a book dedicated to selected drivers (Ascari, Musso, Collins, Hawthorn, Castellotti, etc.) and their associated photos and memorabilia. Something along the lines of Sergio Cassano's Piloti e Gentiluomini, but done in your inimitable style, would be absolutely fantastic.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  5. hanspeterk.

hanspeterk. Rookie

Jan 26, 2013
    Hallo,
    I am going to sell my "Cavalleria" books (complete series / 16 books from 512 S&M to 250 GT SWB California); all books in very good condition like new / only one slipcase has a little damage; if you are interested I can send photos.

6. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Talking about old racing marque books, does anyone here know why there was never a final volume to Doug Nye's excellent multi volume BRM history? While he covers the difficult beginning, the glory years and up through '69, I had hoped for a volume to take the story into the mid-70's. Seems like the opportunity to interview participants from the later era might remain, although perhaps that contributed to there not being a good way to close it out? Still, seems like a story that ought to be recorded somewhere.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Based on various comments by Doug in the nostalgia forum at autosport.com I believe he has just had so many other projects, especially the massive Phil Hill Inside Track, that the BRM series has been pushed back a bit. This is pure speculation on my part, and Doug is a member of this forum so I'm sure he'll provide more commentary if he wishes to do so.

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    For GTO fans there is book just on the GTO that changed hands recdntly at a reported $70 million. It is part of a series. At first I thought, "How could they do a book on just one car?" but then realized it discusses the cars leading up to it, the competition, etc. I hsven't see tne book in person but have the D=type book in the ame series and it's done well. Here's some promo copy on it

Ferrari 250 GTO - The Autobiography of 4153 GT (deluxe edition)
    Regular price£250.00
    Quantity
    Great Cars Series book number 7
    An autobiography on the most expensive car ever sold

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This magnificent book tells the story of a Ferrari 250 GTO with a particularly interesting and varied history. The car is chassis number 4153 GT and it won the Tour de France – an arduous 10-day race-cum-rally – in the hands of Lucien Bianchi and Georges Berger in 1964.

A specially designed stunning limited edition, bound in linen with gilt edges, and cased in a cloth slip-case. As a special touch, there is an embossed reproduction of the chassis number on the front of the book. The deluxe edition is limited to just 100 copies and is signed by the author, Keith Bluemel.

Please see the standard edition for more information on the contents of the book or to purchase the standard edition.

• This GTO’s racing career started with great promise at Le Mans in 1963, with fourth place for Pierre Dumay and Léon Dernier.

• Two busy seasons in 1964–65 brought 14 competition outings, with the win for Lucien Bianchi/Georges Berger in the 1964 Tour de France the highlight – and there was also a trip to Africa for the Angolan Grand Prix.

• The great Belgian teams, Ecurie Francorchamps and Equipe National Belge, raced 4153 GT until the end of 1965.

• The car’s little-known competition career in Spain in the period 1966–69 is uncovered for the first time, with interview input from owner/driver Eugenio Baturone.

• Nearly 300 period photographs, many previously unpublished, supported by a portfolio of specially commissioned location photography.

For more information on the author, Keith Bluemel, visit our Author Profiles page.

9. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Thanks for the reply, I'd forgotten about that forum. The Phil Hill book looks amazing, it's remarkable that he had the foresight to document, with quality photos, that era. It's tops on my list of much desired books. For now my local used bookseller had a recent haul of early-mid 20c British racing books at knock down prices, so for the past few months I've been living with Birkin, Eyston, Seagrave, Hawthorne, and Mays (both Split Seconds, and the '62 book on BRM). It was the latter that sent me back to the "history of record" created by Mr. Nye. I hope that someday I'll see a volume that includes the cars and drivers who enlivened my imagination as a child, and hope there are enough of us around to make it worth his while.

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    After years of anticipation I purchased the three volume set of Inside Track as soon as it was available....well, even before that! Well worth the cost and the wait.

amerikalei likes this.
  11. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    tifoso2728 likes this.
  12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Very nice. Is it in Italian and English?

13. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    That must be the English edition as it was also published last year as Con la Maserati Nel Cuore in Italian. FWIW, I read it then and thought it was well done.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Thank you.

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Though written in french, what's an exhausting task for me reading, this was a must have for me, since my car was delivered new from CH. Pozzi back then.
    Great work by Arnaud Meunier with thorough race history, great historic photographs of the dealerships across France from the era, when Pozzi was the importer.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

Rosey, amerikalei, Dino2400 and 3 others like this.
  16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Martin, that's a very nice photo. I like it a lot! I can see why that book was a ''must have'' for you.

17. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
  18. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Well done... welcome to the Opus Owners Club. :)

-CD- likes this.
  20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Certainly a very nice set...I own them also.

Maybe a stand alone thread Ad up in Collectibles as I fear your post will be lost here in this thread.
    GLWS!

Rosey likes this.
  21. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    -CD- likes this.
  22. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would love to get hands on a full Ferrarissima Schedoni set! :)

And there are so many other old books and i‘m always on the search...

But the Opus will always be the pinnacle of my collection,
    not because it is big, heavy, limited, valuable, etc.
    in my case it is the special provenance and the invitation from the former
    owner to pick it up in person and have a coffee with him.

To make a long story short, i got Jody’s book... :)

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    We need more information please.

24. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    What a great story! I too would love to know more. Did he sign the Haynes 312T books too?

25. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes, i take seven 312T books with me for family and friends. :)

Andrew and Jason from the signature store in UK arrange all for me,
    great guys and great support!

And of course i got the Champion lifetime guarantee... :D

Dino2400 likes this.