TR Fuel Sending Unit Repair-Rebuild | FerrariChat

TR Fuel Sending Unit Repair-Rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by cgperry, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Any advice on rebuilding the TR fuel sending unit? They appear to be unavailable anymore. In searching previous threads, I see that two companies seem to rebuild them:

The John Wolf Co, Inc. in Willoughby, Ohio (Antiqueinstrument.com) and italiancarparts.com. I have calls into each for costs and turnaround times.

I'm wondering if I can rebuild it. I don't see an easy disassembly path and I certainly don't want to break a good core, but if any of you know how to do something I'm technically competent. In testing my core, it appears that the gauge sending unit is pretty good - it varies pretty linearly from about 320 ohms at bottom (empty) position to about 20 ohms at top (full) position. But the secondary contacts that light the reserve light aren't good on mine. It will make contact at about 10-20 ohms when the slider hits bottom (empty) position, but it's not a constant contact. It breaks with the slightest movement and then doesn't re-establish. So I'm assuming those contacts are corroded or otherwise bad.

Any advice/suggestions/procedures welcome. Thanks!

2. ferrarioldman

ferrarioldman Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 19, 2002
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Tom Jones
    John Wolfe Co. has rebuilt several senders for me, a couple being a ball of rust, with really great results. Deoxit D5 is a great contact cleaner if you can get some in there.

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Most fuel sending units are variable resistors.

4. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Thanks, Tom. I appreciate your expertise, as always. I talked to John and he indicated that they are a bear to take apart, so I think I'll send it up there rather than risk breaking the good core to save a few bucks. He said their rebuild price averages around $275, which sounds pretty reasonable, at least in the F-car world. Turnaround time they quoted was about a week, which sounds good.