Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I think Charles is ready, hell, Jacques and Elton were in a top car first year and they where up to the task, Charles looks everi bit as good if not better, i believe he can do it. I would put him in the car. You guys know that he has some history with Max..they're not exacly good friends, lololo

375+, Igor Ound and Makuono like this.
  2. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    Apparently the luster is is starting to fade on the once Golden Child, Mad Max ... fortunately, a new Golden Child Has been bestowed upon us ... all hail the new kid on the block, LeClerc

G

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Max must be slightly annoyed/angry that

1 Ferrari don't want him ..yet
    2 Leclerc is in pole position for the Scuderia seat.:)

Makuono likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    is it?

Or just can't look past your personal hatred :rolleyes:

5. ADRIANF430

ADRIANF430 Rookie

Dec 29, 2010
    Miss France looks old enough (or he looks young enough) to be his mum
    Yes I agree cannot wait to see him in a red car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Quite a contrast between the two. Max behaves the same way now as then; Charles's response was well reasoned and succinct--wise beyond his years.

WilyB and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    new rumorst that Charles already signed for Ferrari for 2 years, 2mil for 2019 and 3 mil for 2020...by then he will be World champion and will upgrade to 20 mil for 2021 ;)

tomc and stavura like this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yeah, that's what I'm seeing from an Italian artice hours ago. Can't confim it though just yet. If true, this is a very bold move from Ferrari.

tomc likes this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..but i like it!

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    And it makes sense since we all know uncle sweater is a cheap guy...if he can save 20 mil a year, he won't think twice!....this might also pave the way for Giovinazzi into a sauber seat, wich would be great because i think he's also very fast.

11. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    i kinda have a feeling kimi will end up at McLaren

12. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    That was funny. "Nothing happened".

I still think Charles is too young for Ferrari but will support him if the rumours are true and he makes the move :)

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  13. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    tomc likes this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    F-chat needs a "Super-Mega-Hell-Freaking-Yeah-I-Like" Button! :)
    Great news IMO, if true. Great rumor, regardless!
    I'm gonna enjoy peppering my sentences with the word "Monegasque"!
    T

15. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    That would be awesome if its true. It seems a little premature though, I'll wait till Ferrari or Leclerc make an official announcement.

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I made a post in 2018-19 silly season upon bbc release with full article

17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    You think McLaren will pay for Kimi? I highly doubt that...

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    And anyone would think kimi wants to drive to a backmarker team? i also doubt that very much..unless they fork 20 mil for it!

Bas likes this.
  19. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/8349/why-leclerc-is-ready-for-ferrari

There's an old saying in sport particularly apposite to 20-year-old Sauber driver Charles Leclerc: if you're good enough, you're old enough.

Since Ferrari's growing impatience with Kimi Raikkonen emerged last month and the prospects of Leclerc being promoted from the team's junior ranks to the frontline dramatically improved, questions have been asked about whether the Monegasque is ready.

The evidence says he is. Emphatically. Or, to be more precise, he's as ready as he can be.

It remains to be seen if Ferrari commits to making the change. Since his hurry-up after a lacklustre Canadian Grand Prix weekend, Raikkonen has strung together a hat-trick of podiums tempered only by the fact he squandered the potential speed to win two of them. But the debate over Leclerc's readiness must be put to bed.

Too many focus on what Leclerc hasn't done. He hasn't won grands prix, he hasn't driven for a top team, he hasn't fought for a world championship, he hasn't finished higher than sixth in an F1 race.

This is a pointless position to take in making a decision on Leclerc - it's only really relevant if weighing up the choice to take Leclerc or a proven winner to lead the team immediately. Daniel Ricciardo, for example.

And Ricciardo, remember, had not finished higher than seventh in a grand prix prior to his promotion to Red Bull's A-team for 2014. That season he was the only non-Mercedes driver to win a race - a feat he achieved three times.

He's scored in five out of six races, and would have made that six out of seven but for his loose wheel at Silverstone. Leclerc is not a driver turning in flashy peaks every three races, he's relentlessly banging in performances.

The only other driver outside of the big three teams to match Leclerc's five points finishes in the last seven races is Carlos Sainz Jr at Renault. So by definition, Leclerc is one of the standout performers - in fact, the standout performer.

He's also burying a team-mate in Marcus Ericsson who is no mug. The Swede has no answer to Leclerc's qualifying pace in particular, which is more evidence of Leclerc's excellence.

That Leclerc is also doing this in his first season, after years in which he's largely earned rave reviews for his performances in GP3 and Formula 2, is critically important. He's taken to F1 like the proverbial duck to water and answered every question asked of him.

20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    NEP likes this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    So here's the story per [Autobild]

So according to Autobild, it all started during the Canadian GP. Marchionne wanted Leclerc after that woman accused Kimi. Leclerc was supposed to be in Ferrari already in Spa. Autobild found out that Puma produced 4 race overalls for Charles. Lawyers met with Nicholas Todt.

[Autobild] Weeks after lawyers met with Nicholas Todt and the contract was made, Marchionne went to the hospital and died due to complications.. Now Kimi supporters such as Arrivabene, Vettel, Camilleri and Elkann want to keep Kimi.

[Autobild] Leclerc also has strong supporters like Jean Todt and Nicholas Todt. And Ferrari does not want to go against them. Mattia Binotto is also pro-Leclerc apparently.

[Autobild] Ferrari is currently in a dilemma. They don‘t want to lose their junior but also don‘t want to give him their red goddess yet. So they want to buy him out of his contract now and want to make the contract available for 2020. Insiders think that this is going to happen.

Today @ Monza (09-02-18)-->Ferrari chairman John Elkann has met with Sauber for the second time. Meeting with Vasseur. And the lawyer has been here since Friday. That lawyer is only seen when it comes to contracts. Charles Leclerc knows where he will drive and he is not happy but extremely happy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That picture worries me. Looks done deal (pic taken at the track today)

375+ and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Leclerc to Ferrari announcement on Thursday

24. DF1

No surprise at this. The momentum was there 2 months ago for the shift. Kimi has had enough chances. He needs to move on and let a new potential star have his go. I support this and I give Vettel one more year or he is out if he does not make the title this year. I worry about the management more than the drivers in the longer term.

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Current management wants to keep Kimi but Marchionne already signed a contract with Leclerc. To pay off Leclerc would be very expensive and quite simply not worth it.

Verstappen has a Honda performance clause in his contract for 2019. If Vettel ****s up again in 2019 Ferrari should hire him. I'm not sure how long Ricciardo's contract is.

Mbutner likes this.