What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 66 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ta mate, that'd be good to see. I hear you about stereo (and alarm, and old mobile phone) installers - just effing butchers

2. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Tim,
    I already cleaned the old, hardened glue-like grease years ago. But this time I had a weird problem, which took hours to solve.
    In the end I discovered, that the worm gear was getting incredible hot after a few up and down cycles.
    I have a spare window lifter assembly, on which the big worm gearwheel is damaged, but the rest is fine. I took the screw and its brass bearing brackets from the spare and suddenly my window lifter worked extremely faster.
    Don't know yet, where the problem was with the other screw or bearings. Parts are looking good and by hand all is freely moving.

I think nothing of the electronic fixes. I think these try to cure just the symptoms.

Best Regards
    Martin

3. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Here you go. The mesh is domed and quite solid. I thought it was a factory job as the quality is great.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason likes this.
  4. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Martin:

I have already installed the "electronic" fix in the passenger door and it has helped some. It became obvious by inspecting the OEM wiring and looking at the length of the wiring runs that the wire gauge Ferrari used was not heavy enough.

When I drove away from the independent Ferrari service shop who ripped me off and damaged my voltage regulator almost 2 years ago the windows moved up and down quite rapidly because there was in excess of 20VDC running through the 12vdc system. It only lasted minutes and 4 miles as multiple component failure occurred and left me stranded.

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Tim,

I still didn't figure out, what the electronic fixes actually do electrically.

Best Regards
    Martin

6. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It's known as "the relay fix" - basically two relays per door with a bloody great big power wire (and earth wire). Doubles the window speed, easily. I was going to do the whole clean out and regrease the gears thing, but the relay fix works fine.

7. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Neat! I've been planning the same thing, but painting the mesh to match the upholstery to blend it in a bit. Thanks!

8. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    Shouting at it, as it is standing in the way. I am putting together my new BBQ...

mcimino likes this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Re windows: I find that regreasing seems to make the windows move smoothly where as with old grease they tend to "drag" at certain positions. But, stupid question, why do some of you feel it is necessary to make the windows move faster? Just for the fun of it I timed my windows, about 3 seconds to lower or raise all the way. Is that slow?

Jbrauer likes this.
  10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    No, but 11 seconds is. ;)

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Unfortunately I'm not allowed to view your profile. What car? If it's that on your avatar, you can't compare it with a 308.
    Three seconds is very fast. I'm now at roughly 5 seconds up with the engine not running and very happy with it.
    I didn't time the windows before, but think it was something like 10 seconds upwards.
    The worst case scenario I have seen on a GT4. The windows didn't go upwards at all with just ignition on.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    85 308 GTB, engine off. FWIW, the 355 is about the same.

Yes, that's slow. But why? Perhaps a difference between GTB (my car) and a GTS window channels?

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Could be a lot of things. Storage environment, inherent electrical health of the car, average temp level of where the car lives, how often the windows have been cycled, and maybe Luigi got the grease "just right" when it was slathered in the window motor. I suppose a GTB maintains the truest shape of the channels without flexing over time, so could also be a factor.

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I've read a lot about slow windows and the fixes. The only problem I encountered was due to old grease. As most know, it solidifies at one place in the wheel gear and then the windows would bind, even stop, at that point. If they get past that point, they resume at normal speed, then bind again. Typically 3 times from full up to full down. But once the grease was replaced mine work pretty good, I guess. That's why I never really understood the "slow window" thing. I don't do anything special to my car. Stored in an un heated garage all winter, and it gets fairly hot in the garage in summer. Never touched the window wiring and all switches and relays are original, so claims that the original wiring isn't sufficient seems unfounded to me. And I don't drive the car much anymore. Probably 300 miles in the last 5 years. So it's been sitting with windows up. But like I posted, I got in it this morning and time them and about 3 sec down a little longer up, maybe 3.5 sec.

I would think, switches with bad contacts or bad connections, grounds, would be the most significant thing other than hard grease. But the wires themselves? I don't think that is the case.

Now my Cayman windows, if anything are too fast. It's a pain when I just want to crack a window. Barely touch the button and release and the window is 2" down. And if I try just a tap, most times it jumps into the auto down mode and I have to put it back up. Such and inconvenience. :)

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Completely agree. While working on the windows I checked the current, my motors are drawing while lifting the windows.
    Something between 2 and 3 amps. The wire dimensions are absolutely more than enough for such amps.

Therefore my earlier statement, that the relay fix just cures the symptoms.
    Moreover, like Verell stated correctly in an earlier thread. If the mechanics are binding, it's easy to fry the motors quickly by just increasing current.
    Next thing: The internal mechanism of the worm wheel. There's an internal toothed connection, which is under pressure by the big belleville spring washer, one can see from the outside. The purpose of this spring loaded connection is to make it possible to disengage the connection between the cable pulley and the worm gear, when using the emergency handle, since you cannot drive a worm gear in the backwards direction.
    This belleville spring washer also get's weaker over the decades. And if the torque of the worm gear is too high, the internal toothed connection fails, when the windows stop at their upper or lower stop.
    I experienced this 20 years ago. Nasty, loud ratchet-like noise, when window reached its stop. This was the one and only window lifter, which was no more repairable.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

16. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There may be a difference from car to car. My harnesses were hacked into by the stereo installers. The voltage I measured at the motor last year as I recall was under 11vdc. With the new harness and the relay fix my up and down times were about 2x faster. Should have done some measurements on the driver's door before I pulled the old wiring.

That being said I still don't think the gauge is sufficient for the job given the wiring runs and connectors. But what do I know...

17. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    Re-dyed my 308 GTS's red carpets. Turned out well.

18. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
  19. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    Very cool garage.......I like it!

20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    John, wanna come over and help my windows go fast?:)

Archer911 likes this.
  21. Jroe550

Jroe550 Karting

Sep 10, 2015
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Jason
    miketuason and waymar like this.
  22. JFerrari328

JFerrari328 Karting

Jul 11, 2016
    MA
    Up in the North East on Cape Cod knew it was going to rain, did not care drove it like I stole it. Third year after being a P car owner getting use to the Ferrari Vibe. Love it.

23. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    Thank you very much! :)

But the garage is far from cool, the temperatur here is around 30C and it hasn't rained since early may. :p

24. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Aus_yz, Rosey and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  25. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ooooh! Shawny!
    Who's doing the paint?