What happened to that smell??? | FerrariChat

What happened to that smell???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Steve711, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve711

Steve711 Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    My 488 Spider just arrived. In the past I owned a 360, F430, and F430 Spider and have just made the big jump to the 488. All of my past Ferrari's had that rich unmistakable aroma of Ferrari inside. I'm certain that wasn't by chance as Ferrari has always maximized the whole driving experience. I remember on my 360, which was a 6 speed, the sound and feel of the way the gearshift clicked into gear was so addicting that it had to be purposely designed that way. Just like the smell. My garage even smelled like Ferrari leather for days when my car was away.

The 488 has a nice new car smell, but nothing like the leather overload of the past models.

Has anyone else noticed this? Why???

2. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Silly question , but how much leather did you spec?

Did you spec alt material’s

Alot of leather puts off alot more odor than Alcantara or sport tech material

Funny story, when I have had Ferrari panels recovered in the past, I ask fot the old leather back , for the exact same reason ... the smell

Put it up on the dash while a car is parked outside and in a few hours the interior smells like “Ferrari Leather “ .... for a few days anyways LoL

A

3. Steve711

Steve711 Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    The 488 has the lower dash and part of the door panels in alcantara. Otherwise, the rest of the interior is the standard leather.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I speced a lot of leather . Roof , back of seats , firewall and I can say love all the smell of the leather :)

Shadowfax likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interesting observation. Since your 488 is brand new and you can directly compare with other Ferraris you've owned then you might be on to something. I don't know why the leather smell would diminish in a new Ferrari so likely it just came that way. Maybe the next time you're at the dealership you can sit in several of the cars from different eras and further compare. I personally would never spec a Ferrari without leather unless it was a true track car. That smell you speak of is just too much a part of the ownership experience IMO.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah mine smells awesome - no complaints. You can even smell the money!:D

MANDALAY likes this.
  7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    That was the first thing I noticed with the new 488 as well. The smell of rich Italian leather was completely absent. I smelled it in the 360, the 430, the 458, and the F12. I mentioned it to several people and all looked at me as if I was crazy. There must be a reason why. Perhaps a new supplier of interior materials.

8. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #9 Streetsurfer, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    I would imagine that just as in the plastics and composites world, we are having to gravitate away from volatile organic compounds. Interiors don't smell like they once used to as a result of this. Supposedly, the atmosphere will fare better for it. Perhaps leather suppliers are also being forced to alter their tanning and treatment methods, changing that familiar smell of the end product.

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mine came with the leather stinky.

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yes, the 488 smells terrible as compared to the 458. Not sure what they have done, but it smells like a chemical factory to me. The 458 had a nice alcantara smell, the 360 and 355 had nice leather smells. The 488 smells more like a fabric softener sheet to me.

Ray

11. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Love that smell. Missed it in the 430 Scud...

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sorry to hear that. I fell in love with the smell of the tan leather interior of my 456M. The 360 I replaced it with smells the same, but less intense (Those back seats added a LOT more).

13. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Could it be because Pininfarina is absent from the 488 design that they took their secret leather smell with them?

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I was going to ask the same question about the spec. When I ordered my 488 GTB I completely maxed out the leather options (pillars, headliner, rear wall and rear shelf, even the rarely chosen lower zone). Every time I opened the door the rush of that aroma was incredible. Alcantara doesn’t offer that. Even though many people seem to prefer Alcantara for the sport variants, I plan on going heavy with leather in my 488 Pista. To me, that is part of the visceral Ferrari experience that I won’t do without.

Solid State likes this.
  15. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    My 488 smells like the inside of one of my wife’s Italian Leather hand bags. It’s wonderful. Maybe I got the good and smelly part of the leather roll. :)

16. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I don't have that many Ferraris to compare from. I am just onto my third. I also observed the same thing. Actually not only the smell is different, the quality and thickness as well just feel different.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I was very impressed with the quality of my 488 GTB. When I was at the factory last May one of my favorite parts of the tour was the interior department, particularly seeing the leather supply, watching them cut and stitch the leather. It was very impressive.

18. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I know.. Don't get me wrong. They are still outstandingly made for the newer model, but things seems just a bit different from the prior models. For example, the imprints of the prancing horse are much much lighter in the newer model than the older one that you could even see the contour of the house thigh in a greater depth. Actually, I think you could compare these horses in a dealership.

I have also spent 2 weeks time in a Lusso . The leather thickness and quality are visibly different from my FF. Same as my 458 to the 488 that I test drive today.

But hey, we may be just splitting hairs today, because the new models are simply gorgeous. Just to share my immaterial observation.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

You may be right. I don't have a lot of experience with 360's, 430's or 458's. I do have an 89 328 GTB and a 99 355 GTB, but those cars have leather from a very different era.

20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    JoeTSI, RWP137 and Cigarzman like this.
  21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  22. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

23. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    So I had a 458 and a lusso t, both had that amazing smell but my new 488 has none at all (and I specced some extra leather for the headliner too. Seems to vary quite a bit, even amongst the same model. I smelled some F12s that had it and some that didn’t. There is clearly some change though it is not consistent across all units.

24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yeah, it's really strange. I rented a brand new 488 last summer and the interior smelled like burnt rubber. Just an awful smell. Whereas every 458, 430, and 360 I've ever been in has had that glorious Italian leather smell. Wonder what's going on.