488 newbie owner | FerrariChat

488 newbie owner

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Juniorp, Jul 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juniorp

Juniorp Rookie

Jul 17, 2018
    England
    Full Name:
    Neil P
    Couple of questions, I took delivery of my 488 GTB (2017) earlier this week...

Do I run it on regular unleaded or super? (I ran my 458 on regular)

What is the reason for hazard arrows flashing when I’m driving?

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

3. Juniorp

Juniorp Rookie

Jul 17, 2018
    England
    Full Name:
    Neil P
    Thank you

4. rost12

rost12 Rookie

Apr 6, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rost
    The hazard flash under "hard" braking. Can be turned off in the settings menu (left screen).

Juniorp likes this.
  5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I only use Shell VPower 93 in mine.

Juniorp likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    That oil consumption figure 1 - 2 liters / 1000 kms worries me ? That's more than the rotary's I had in the 80's. So if the total system is 10.5 liters and I do at least 5 k / year i could run it dry before my next yearly service

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It sounds like you should do yourself a favour and put some time aside to read the owners manual !

Melvok and TheDiffuser like this.
  8. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Heck reading the owners manual on a new car purchase is the best part! Beer, manual, sounds, feet up - let's read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melvok, Viperjoe and JohnTz like this.
  9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I agree, that is curious. Service intervals are mileage based and time based - whichever comes first, but the mileage is enough for a significant depletion of the oil quantity at 2 litres per 1,000km. The system is dry-sumped so relies on oil being pumped around the block from the reservoir, so I suppose with less oil in the reservoir the remaining oil is just pumped around more often. There must also be a low oil warning light (which I have never seen).

10. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I'm not sure how the oil consumption is computed, but that doesn't sound correct, I now have 6200 miles on my 488 Spider (too long 1000+ mile road trips) and my oil level remains just about the same as it did when delivered to me. I'll be changing oil soon, so might learn more at that time, but I remember my dealer's service folks telling me an early oil change wasn't necessary, just wait for the annual service. He also indicated it likely wouldn't need any oil added before the annual, and so far that appears to be correct.

Jim

MANDALAY and Viperjoe like this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I read those high oil consumption figures in all Ferrari's owners manual, and all of the ones I owned almost consumed no oil at all (I never had to fill up between annual services, even with the older testarossa). However I never exceeded 7,000 miles per year.
    To me it's like Ferrari just want to avoid any complaint based on oil consumption, protecting themselves with a stupidly high figure to be considered as normal.

MANDALAY likes this.
  12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Same here!

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Over here in Australia I have always used BP fuel , never Shell. I find the consistency better where as Shell , locally made varied between summer and winter.

14. F458Spider

F458Spider Karting

Apr 12, 2015
    How can you tell?

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I use RON 95 always, was told by F technicians that the 458 ECU'S were computed on that RON 95 and higher octane doesn't help at all ...

16. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Melvok, I was told similar by my Ferrari dealer - the 458 was built to run on 95. However they did say that 97 wouldn't hurt the car and that you MAY see higher performance from using 98.

Personally the performance from my 458 makes me scream so loud when I drive it, that Id never be able to tell the difference!

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The last car I sold I built from ground up and was fully worked with a full MoTec ECU. Dumping the data clearly showed the BP was better. Shell stopped selling 100 which I was using before