Mangusta thread | Page 60 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
  2. GaetanVDK

GaetanVDK Karting

Oct 20, 2015
    BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
    Full Name:
    GAETAN VDK
  3. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Looks a little rough for $395k.
    The yellow one that was sold at Scottsdale in Jan for $225k went to D. Schmits place and he now wants $325k.

4. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I went to the website of the Cruise Night in a nearby village to check their schedule, and lo and behold, the picture on the homepage shows my car. Must have been taken last year.

https://www.waucondacruisenight.com/

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't see a Dino. Is it a different car?

Nevermind! :) I forgot what thread I was in.

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    one heck of a picture Mangusta, Bizzarrini AMX/3, Bora, and a ATS just missing a Miura

7. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
  8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is by far the best show they have done to date!

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I found a book on Kjell Qvale, the US importer of the Mangusta. But it doesn't discuss him being offered two different designs of sports cars from Ghia.Of course we know he went with the Ford-powered one by Giugiaro but now that Artcurial Auctions is offering the Serenissima Ghia GT at their auction in Paris Feb 8th, and we know it that car is basically Mangusta from the waistline down but with a Tjaarda-designed Ghia built body and their own V8 engine. ,Does anybody know if Qvale was offered this design as well so he could make a choice? I think if it had to have a Serenissima-sourced engine, he would have run the other direction because it was not a mass produced engine. In fact, whoever buys the car , or any of the three Serenissimas, is going to have one helluva time getting it running as Count Volpi told a reporter that only a dozen Serenissima engines were built. Anybody know the behind-the-scenes story on who paid for the Serenissima Ghia GT to be built and whether Qvale or Ford was offered it? (I was told by a Ford engineer that Ford by the way turned down the Mangusta after having seen how piecemeal it was built, with a lot of handwork required and instead went for the Pantera when told it would , by contrast, be built in a real car factory, Vignale)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

71Satisfaction and Boomhauer like this.
  10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    WOW that is beautiful. My guess is if you can afford the car you can find someone to fix the engine.........

11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am led to believe, by Jay Leno's remarks in an OCTANE column, that with CNC printing, all you have to do is measure the old part
    and somehow a new one is created by a computer directing the metal milling, etc. so a lot of exotics that don't have parts now have a means of salvation. Was me, I'd put in a Boss 302 with Serenissima factory lettering on the valve covers....

12. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Photos like these are really sad. I wonder what the story behind the car is. How could a nice car get so horribly neglected. Makes you wish you could have been there to intervene before the car started to decompose. This is a little like digging up a grave and looking at what's left of the corpse. It will be interesting to watch for this chassis number in the future.

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I worship Ferrari like a religion, love all the De Tomaso cars, but the Mangusta is one of the most beautiful designs ever penned for an automobile. I wish I had the means and space to afford one....

14. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
  15. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I nearly bought one 14 years ago in concord nsw Australia a Dealer called Ian Cummings had a white rhd one of 4 in the world it was $67,000 Australian dollars
    Not shure what that was in usd at the time but I really should have got the car

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    When, and where, did you set eyes on a Mangusta for the first time?
    I was living in Puebla, México in 1968, and saw the orange Mangusta 8MA-882 purchased by the son of the then-president
    of México.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

18. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

19. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    You should have no regrets - $67k was a very big asking price back then (no matter the exchange rate?). They were known for troublesome handling, indifferent assembly quality and maxed out around US$40k for many, many years and could be got around $30k. And that was the same price range as a lot of other exotics - Aston, Facel Vega, Bora, E-Type, Espada, Ferrari 308, etc, etc.
    Cheers,
    - Art

20. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

21. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    And nor should $100K get it done. The car looks fairly complete and I don't see evidence of any serious rust so that already makes it closer to $200K than $100K. At $239K it's a MUCH more sensible number than when I first inquired about this car and was told they were looking for $300K. Put it on Auction somewhere decent and I suspect they would get over $200K, likely more at the right venue.

22. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    Mang likes this.