360 Cold Engine Start - Low RPM Idle | FerrariChat

360 Cold Engine Start - Low RPM Idle

Discussion in '360/430' started by NexLevel, Jul 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Hey guys,

Noticed that whenever my 360 starts cold, the engine would kind of struggle with low rpm idle for about a 3-4 seconds before the RPM will come back up. If stopped and started again, things would act normal. Also if the engine is somewhat warm or hot, it would always act normal.

This only occurs after the car sits for a day. I already put some techron in the gas and it hasn't helped. Cleaned the MAFs and also didn't help. Called the dealership that I bought my car from and the salesperson said this is normal.

I've seen a few other posts about this and some say it has to do with the battery. I don't think that's the case with my car.

Ideas?

2. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Has your battery been out, or power turned off ?
    Maybe you need to reset the idle, search on here for process......

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

my advice: live with it. your salesperson is right.
    i have more than 4x360s and ALL OF THEM, yes, all of them are like this.

a long time ago, one day, I decided to replace all plugs, all injectors, all coils, battery, clean throttle, etc, you name it. THEN , it starts like a new car. But, it gradually slips into its old states in about 1 year.

sparetireless and whatheheck like this.
  4. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I asked Algar about this just yesterday. Patrick said to wait for Check OK, and then start the car. If it stumbles as only one bank fires, immediately turn it off. Then restart it. This will make the computer relearn the proper way to fire all 8 cylinders.

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This.

6. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Interesting, good to know!

7. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Will try this

8. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Ooo great info, mines only done it once in a year of ownership but I’ll keep in mind if it happens again thanks!

9. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    A trick I do, which I think also helps with the longevity of the engine, I always crank the engine once, just to lubricate it !!

i do not insist that the engine starts...

And on the second try it starts and it runs nicely !!

Do you think this helps ??

10. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    When is the last time you've complete the "ECU reset"?

Turn the main battery cut off switch to OFF for night, then follow the procedure explained here:

https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/16/ferrari-360-ecu-reset/

Don't mind the stuff below, just reset the ECU, turn the HVAC OFF, start the car and let her idle for 5-10 min without touching anything. Then take her for a decent spin, 30-45min drive.

Drive the car in 3rd or 4th gear with an engine speed of between 2,000 and 2,500 rpm for 3 1/2 miles (no hard accelerating or erratic shifting). The ECU checks ignition, fuel trim, cat efficiency, lambda sensors, PCV valve operation and EVAP purges.

Shift to 4th gear and increase engine speed to 4,500 rpm and hold for 30 seconds. This ensure the engine is operating in a steady state.

Decrease engine speed to 2,000 rpm without changing gear or braking. ECU checks PCV valve operation and EVAP purges.

This is NON mandatory, it will learn stuff while you're driving 30-45min or such.

11. Bjarne360

Bjarne360 Rookie

Jul 8, 2015
    When I start my Ferrari 360 cold, it has stopped the normal cold start with high rpm. It starts and struggle with700-1000 rpm. If I try to drive (f1gear) the engine dies. I have to idle till the engine is warm and then I can go normal. I have reset the engine several times with full procedure and works fine warm, but when I start next day cold, same thing is there any relay for the cold start?

12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The Ferrari master tech that gave me the walkaround when I picked up my car told me that the secondary ECU may take a moment to boot up and that would cause the misfire when starting cold. He said the same thing as Algar, turn it off, then start again. It will run normally. Another thing you can do is turn the key on, wait for the OK, then turn it off and back on again. That will allow the second ECU to initialize properly. Apparently, this is related to the immobilizer.

Lucky for me, the immobilizer in my car was defeated by Specialized ECU Repair by the previous owner so both my banks always are online when the OK shows on the dash. I always get a nice, clean fire up regardless of how long it has been since the last run.

13. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    My previous 360 did this just about every single time I started it from cold (owned it for ~13 years). Just turn it of and then restart.