Clutch wear on 550 | FerrariChat

Clutch wear on 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Graz, Jul 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Questions for the 550 crowd. What are the indicators for clutch wear? Mine is a 2001 550 Maranello with 49K miles. While the car shifts very well the clutch pedal feels stiff and gives my left foot a work out. Secondly, if the clutch is replaced will the pedal feel “ lighter”? Could anyone with a low mileage car or one who has the clutch taken care of comment on clutch feel? Thanks.

2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    This is a question I can answer, pedal feels stiff is indication the clutch needs replacement, yes it will feel a lot lighter when you put a new clutch in.
    I replaced my 19,000 miles (that I did not put on the car) it is still fine at 83,000 miles :)

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Thanks so much Bill. Getting it checked out next week and if so will replace it.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Graz,

I agree with Bill. I'm not sure why the 550 clutch seems to grow in effort as it wears but it does. Perhaps it is the angles pushing in the pressure plate fingers? But if you aren't getting slipping then you still got miles on the clutch. If you have difficult gear engagement then it is time to change it. Are you going to do it yourself or have a shop do it?

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    No difficulty in gear engagement it just feels stiff or takes effort as you say to press. It’s tolerable but it’s not smooth or easy like the other gate shifted Ferrari’s I’ve owned. I figured that without any record of the clutch being addressed before I owned it maybe it was time at 49K miles. I suppose it might be a normal “feel” for a 550 but I’m going to have it checked out and if necessary replaced by a Ferrari certified mechanic. Thank you for your help.

6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not near the WSM now...

Is a 550 hydraulic or mechanical? If hydraulic, the feel should not change with wear.

7. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hydraulic.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hydraulic, but it does. Wear can be checked visually, too. Details in past threads.

flash32 likes this.