Lightweight Lithium Ion batteries for road classics | FerrariChat

Lightweight Lithium Ion batteries for road classics

Discussion in '206/246' started by premieram, Jul 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
  2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

My thought in that area is, don’t fix it unless it’s broke. The stock radiator and battery are pretty reliable and robust and reliable. Having a spare tire is nice.

3. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    I respectfully disagree. Batteries are old, heavy, toxic technology (while the new Lithium Ion batteries better in every way). The Aluminum radiators by Superformance, cool better, weight 30lbs less (again, better in every way except they didn't come that way from factory). I understand those who want to preserve originality but Ferrari never produced batteries.

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Trust me, if it’s better, I’m open to it. I just don’t think it’s necessary. When I was at Porsche in Weissach, I asked a Porsche race engineer a question about the 962. I asked why the bodies were made out of fiberglass and the monocoque chassis was made out of a combo of chromoly and aluminum. His answer was that it was easier and cheaper to repair after a weekend of racing. I know there are lots of better materials and technologies but in some cases, it’s just good to keep it simple, especially where there’s not a known problem. My interstate lead acid battery has been reliable for over 8 years old and my Dino has never overheated in the hot hot SoCal traffic.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    What would concern me is that a lithium battery would be in severe service in a car subject to vibrations, jolts, and possible case cracking. Those phone and computer lithium battery fires we hear about on the news are said to be caused when humid air enters a cracked battery case, and those are devices live in a cushy world. See what the manufacturer says about durability and risk of fire. Just be aware and careful.

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    you may need to change the way its charged as well.............just reading the side notes!

7. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I like the idea a lot. Will look into it.
    It is about time that we get some benefits of modern battery technology for vintage cars. Just lifting that heavy lump of lead and acid over the fender of the Dino is unnerving. It also makes you wonder why we keep driving around with such a heavy ballast in the car.

Excessive weight was the Achilles heel of the Dino, and the sole reason it was never competitive on the race track, in my opinion. Every pound of weight reduction is beneficial. My spare wheel and jack is out of the car for that reason. A stored telephone number to a flatbed towing company does not weigh anything.

I did not realize that an aluminum radiator would save that much. You are giving me more to think about now...

8. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    My thoughts:
    When I used the Dino on a race track, the main challenge to be fast was understeering.
    This is because of having the most weight in the back and less in the front.
    For this reason more weight to the front gives a better balance as race Dinos will have their fuel tanks relocated in the spare wheel area.
    For this a lighter battery……
    Second is the risk of firing the car when the lithium ion batterie get a short cut.
    It is almost impossible to stopp and the known from mobile sin a plane etc.
    My son is electrician and he really destroyed my first interest only on just having a li Io starter kit in my daily driver.

9. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Yes, you need a special charger ($50).

10. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    They are used extensively in racing applications. Braille makes batteries for F1 and LeMans teams.

11. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    I did think about the understeer issue. I am not sure whether or not there is enough suspension adjustability to corner balance the car and optimize the front/rear balance. Good points.

12. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    The Superformance high torque starter saves 6kgs as well (and works a lot better). I have an uber light race prepared MGA Twin Cam where you can really notice when 50lbs of ballast is added to it. I would image you would notice 100lb change in a Dino's weight.

13. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Braille said the following:

The ONLY downside to them is the initial upfront cost, but they will last up to 5 times longer, offer better electrical performance and if there is no draw on the battery (old cars, disconnected at terminal or via disconnect switch), they can sit for a year or two and still be at 80-90% state of charge without using a charger since they don't self-discharge like lead batteries. If there is a parasitic draw, a lithium charger needs to be use to offset that draw.

I will be the test for the group.
    I just ordered this:
    https://www.braillebattery.com/index.php/braille/product_batteries/g30_combo

I will report back to you when I receive it.

jts

14. Darrmill

Darrmill Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Darrel Miller
    Hello All,

New guy here and aspiring Ferrari owner. Was looking through some posts on here and came upon this. I have a good amount of experience with using lithium-ion batteries in my cars and motorcycles. I've tried a few batteries and now stick with 2 brands because of how well they work for me. I have not had any problems with my batteries catching fire or anything and I love the difference in cranking performance that I hear because of the higher capacity and voltage of the lithium-ion battery. FYI, usually those batteries that are seen on fire on YouTube and in cell phone are the more volatile Lithium Cobalt Oxide battery. Most automotive battery manufacturers do not use this cell; They use Lithium Iron Phosphate. It's much more stable.

DinoLasse likes this.
  15. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    You didn't mention the brands you've stuck with for your cars...

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

In addition to what RonG said/asked (we'd all like you to name the brands you trust), the discussions above talk about the need for a special charger, which made me wonder if these are really plug-and-play with the OEM alternator in the Dino, or do you need some sort of converter in between the OEM alternator and the Lithium (Iron Phosphate) battery?

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't do it. Google thermal runaway. When a car burns due to a battery issue it is always a lithium battery. Racers fall for the lithium light weight. I have seen about 6 cars burn down. Sometimes they burn in the trailer!

energy88 likes this.
  18. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

OK, but if that happened to me, I'd sue the f'ing crap out of Summit Racing, Braille, or whoever the manufacturer and/or distributor is/was, so, any lawsuits out there on these specific batteries?

19. Darrmill

Darrmill Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Darrel Miller
    Braille and Antigravity.

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I have an antigravity RS-20 (now called RS-30) in my F355. Can sit for about a month with no charger, after that trips the low voltage switch.

22. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It seems too much ttouble (and risk) gof too little gain. The Rennlist discussion is enlightening.

23. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
  24. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    So, I have lived with the Braile G30 battery for a few weeks in my heavily modified 1959 MGA Twin Cam. The battery has done exactly what it is supposed to do. The 40lbs of weight savings is nice and noticeable in a car this light. After reading the Rennlist report, I also bought the Antigravity Battery for my Dino. It is a little heavier (11lbs) but has some nice safety features and even more cranking amps. I do think this is the future and we will all be laughing in a few years on how we once had lead acid batteries in our cars. There was an interesting piece on Rennlist on how much even a small amount of weight saving improves braking (where most of the Gs are on the street with a vintage car (and stopping really matters in an emergency). I am sold on these (until it starts on fire :)

jt