456M GT or GTA | FerrariChat

456M GT or GTA

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by solly, Mar 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I'm looking for a 456 M so I can haul my 2 small children around with me. I have always loved the satisfying feeling of a gated 6 speed, but I have heard many comments that the automatic version is truly excellent.

Anyone have any feedback on whether to go with a 6 speed or automatic?

2. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

A fully automatic Ferrari? Maybe if I lost a leg in Vietnam I would drive it to the VFW hall for wine-spritzers...

Get the gate, thank me later.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    GATE !!

4. Onlinesys

Onlinesys Formula Junior

May 1, 2002
    Hong Kong
    6-speed is no substitution on the 456 but I realize it is damn difficult to get a nice pro 98 456M with the "gate" in the market.

5. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I think for this car I actually prefer a GTA (I was wrong about the GTA at first). It is not designed for very high speed although it has 430 plus HP on a V12 engine. I have driven GTA this past weekend, and it was surprisingly fast. I don't have to loose my leg in Vietnam war to drive the auto. Just put it on 3rd gear then press the gas pedal and the car will go. The power is always there when you need it and 90% of the time you will drive it as a regular auto and you are inside a FERRARI!! nothing likes MB feel

I have driven the 6 speed but I think IMHO the 550 (also test drove the 6 speed 575M) is far more superior than 456M GT.

I think for daily driver GTA is the way to go. No shields this time!!

6. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well I would go with a 6 speed every time. If you're less than 100 years old and want to drive it, it's far more satisfying. IMO the auto on the 456 is not a very good 'box
    Sorry, can't let this one go! It's just wrong. This is a very fast car, it's just that most owners drive them slowly. Except me and Prancing.

So have I, and I didn't find there was that much in it. I almost traded my Modena for a 550 to have alongside my 456, but while the 550 is faster, the two are so similar in concept and feel it didn't work for me.

The fact than two people can have the opposite view of the same car indicates that you should try both yourself and see which one best suits the purpose you have in mind for it.

Kevin

7. Victory

Victory Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2004
    Ferrari makes the only auto in the 456. So their experience is very poor. Stick with the manual.

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Will your wife drive it and if she does, does she drive stick?

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    i just love the car...doesnt matter, but youll get a far better deal on a GTA i think no?

10. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    Auto? You'd have to kick your own ass every day for doing that.

I'll be in the market at the end of the year for a 1998 456GTM... 1998 introduced traction control which my wife wants. My wife would kick your ass if you got an automatic ferrari.

Seriously - the auto you lose additional trunk space due to the transmission, you are likely to meet financial ruin if anything goes bad in the automatic, and you're going to feel like you've got to straighten your skirt each time you sit in the drivers seat.

Just my opinion.

-dq

11. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Didn't James G. post here that the tranny was a $50K replacement item ?

12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If you can find one.

13. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I really like my 6spd. I would have liked an auto in my TR because heavy steering with a heavy clutch is a miserable combination in the city. The 456 has light steering and a light clutch - less notchy, easier shifting than most older Fcars too. I've driven the auto and it's pretty good - I'm sure it's rebuildable if it breaks. The autos seem to be for sale everywhere, resale not so good compared to the 6spd.

14. Rosso Badger

Rosso Badger Guest

Jan 17, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Al Boswell
    The autotrans in the 456 GTA is very primitive by any standards, and completely prehistoric when you compare it with a Tiptronic or similar system. It's very cluncky, jerky and slow.My old Jag in '82 had a better auto box.

The 456 engine is so powerful, big and torquey that you can be really lazy with the manual box if you just want to cruise quietly. Go for the manual every time.

15. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    ditto

16. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I wouldn't worry about resale as an issue as between the two options. While I love the car, I think the market is very soft, regardless of the choice. There seem to be fewer standards produced as the production went on (thus very few post-98 slush boxes). If I lived in an area of very high traffic (like in the middle of LA or NYC), I'd get the auto. Otherwise, the fear of rebuilding one of the world's 2000 or so 456 auto tranny's would be too much.

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Solly, I have never driven a 465, but based on my experince with a 550, I'd definitely go with the stick. The 550 has so much torque that basically you can drive around in 3rd and 4th, including a complete stop.

Indeed, when I drive the 550, I always go from 1st to 3rd very quickly.

I have had some people say that the clutch is too heavy, but these are P-car punks, and not real car guys! :)

DrTax

18. ARED4RE

ARED4RE Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    I drove a 456MGTA almost everyday for two years, 14500 miles... The auto is a clunky design; never in the right gea, slow to shift, r and no kickdown. Very nice car, however I would go with 6 speed. And only get a "M"...too many issues with the early model.

19. shelbee

shelbee Guest

After reading the thread, I think I will get the 6 speed to be safe, late model at least 2001 or newer will be good with SHIELDS!! Perhaps this brand spanking new 03 GT Canna de Fucile with Sabia??