1990 TR Clarification | FerrariChat

1990 TR Clarification

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ScuderiaRossa, Jul 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 6500 mile original owner, original paint TR (July '90 build) and have a few questions re: originality, modifications, and value. I haven't physically inspected the car yet but I do have photos; red/tan, tan carpets and brown dash. Appears to be between a #1 and #2 in terms of condition, and had an engine out full major a few years ago by the same well respected shop that services my 328.

In terms of originality, I believe the shift knob should be black w/ white lettering and not silver? The horse on the rear grille should be black, not chrome? Did TRs even come w/ a head unit, or were they just wired for sound w/ speakers like my 328? Finally, I believe that TRs came w/ a space saver tire?

The car also has some very '80s mods: HRE 574 rims (original rims/tires are present), a Koenig rear spoiler, Sony head w/ aftermarket sound system, Clifford alarm, and center console-mounted phone. All reversible, but I wonder about the spoiler and whether it required drilling the rear deck? And I'm sure the center console has screw holes in it...

No discussion of asking price yet...

That's about it for now, I'll know more after inspecting the car in person. I would appreciate everyone's thoughts re: the impact of the above mentioned issues on value. Thanks!

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    In terms of originality, I believe the shift knob should be black w/ white lettering and not silver?
    YES

The horse on the rear grille should be black, not chrome?
    YES

Did TRs even come w/ a head unit, or were they just wired for sound w/ speakers like my 328?
    Dealers installed the head unit per customer direction.
    Factory installed speakers & wiring.

Finally, I believe that TRs came w/ a space saver tire?
    YES

Sounds nice -
    Deduct value because of the wing.

Good luck!

3. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Thanks for the confirmation, Vincenzo!

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Get a reliable PPI. I hope you have heard all the stories of low mileage 30 year old Ferrari's!

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    So true. Greased/oiled moving parts such as bearings, clutch splines, brake calipers etc age quickly when stationary for so long.

6. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Thanks guys, yes, PPI a must, even though I know the shop that serviced the car. Viewing the car tomorrow... Thanks.

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    good luck

8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Any updates?

9. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Sorry, traveling for work the last week. I did view the car and while the exterior paint was original and perfect, there were enough other flaws to turn me off: four bolts through the rear deck lid and mesh to secure the Koening spoiler, cracked plastic backing on the front bonnet, nicks and cuts in the leather, Clifford alarm lights in the door panels and parcel shelf, alarm and sound system wiring all over the place (I'm sure every interior panel had been removed), no paper maintenance receipts except for the 1500 mile service coupon and a handwritten note that the last major was performed in 2007. A very low mileage, but sadly neglected car; not for me...

10. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    the hunt continues