488 Replacement | Page 11 | FerrariChat

488 Replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ajr550, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
  2. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It alway speculation until official launch

Shadowfax and boobernackle like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What else can you tell us of this orange cable? First I've heard of that. Pictures? Would think orange cables in engine bay are indicators of high voltage typical of hybrid electrics.

boobernackle likes this.
  4. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
  5. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    There is an orange cable visible when you look through the rear grillwork of a LaFerrari.

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. geertf60

geertf60 Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    hamme - belgium
    From what I saw, it was a normal F488 with a few updates (engine and exhausts) - the black one started normally (not electric).

red passion likes this.
  7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Ferrari won't produce a vehicle that runs strictly on electric power alone, per the LaF.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It will be

Faster (whatever that means)
    Greener
    Cushier
    Bigger
    More expensive

Afonsolaw and nmcclure like this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The 488 replacement will remain the sharpest spear in the Ferrari line-up!
    After all with the 458 and now 488, Ferrari is not only competitive but winning at Le Mans.
    I think the company sees Le Mans as a priority. At least I hope they are thinking about Le Mans with the new car.

My current prediction is a twin-turbo V8 with hybrid electric drive similar to what was implemented with the LaFerrari. Carry over tech from the Pista will be lithium ion battery and carbon fiber wheels and titanium con rods. And I’m sure there will be the latest versions of all the electronic software regulating DCT shifting times, side slip, suspension, e-diff and the like.

In terms of design, again a change of direction, just like fashion. The oversized in-your-face intercooler/ turbo side vents will no longer be as prominent nor as rectangular. I predict a much more subtle opening which blends into the side line below the 3/4 window. The overall shape will still echo the traditional model but have more curves and less of the straight lines and sharp angles which were seen with the 488.

I for one, can’t wait, Should be a stunning package!

10. JohnTz

JohnTz Karting

Jun 21, 2018
    Inverness, IL
    Full Name:
    John Tz
    I hope there is an option without any electric drive. I normally wouldn’t buy a car at the end of its life cycle but I did with the 488 because I was worried the next generation would be a hybrid. I don’t like the extra complexity.

I wonder what will happen to these hybrid super cars as their batteries age and need replacement. Batteries age wether used or not and battery technology is evolving at a very fast pace. The car platform and electronics have been highly tuned to the characteristics ( weight, power density, form factor, etc) of the current available setup and will that setup even be available in 5 years when these cells need replacement. Who will retune the platform for the then new available cells? We shall see what happens as the first cycle of this reality is coming up soon in the next couple of years.

Makuono likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Just caught this as I was reading up on this thread. I would encourage you to buy a sports car instead of just talking about them. Even when I do 30 mph in my Ferrari, its heaven! I wouldn't change the experience for the anything.

Going out with my wife, taking a drive with friends on a weekend, so many enjoyable experiences despite the speed at which you ultimately drive.

Get your feet wet and buy an actual sports car. You will find your discussions to be more relevant and valuable to you.

12. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA

you may have missed his other posts. he has never owned, nor ever will own a ferrari, instead choosing to heckle from an uninformed distance. let's not waste more breath on someone so obviously in the wrong forum.

JohnTz, stavura, MANDALAY and 3 others like this.
  13. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    Same prediction here.
    Although, I kinda wish Ferrari could ditch the twin-turbo setup in favour of a high-revving naturally aspirated V8, paired to a hybrid system.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's my guess. And the motor may go down to 3.2 liters.

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That's the path where they lose me. The better the electric gets the smaller the ICE gets until its all electric. Seems like a simple conclusion. There is no room in my garage nor my life for a silent Ferrari. 8-cylinder turbo buyers and younger buyers might feel different.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You have to understand they are designing this car for 5 or maybe 9 years of production in one form or another. I'm sure they are looking at regulated fuel restrictions in the future and will design it to not become obsolete from changing rules.

They put the hybrid drive in it to get back the torque and then make the motor smaller for better economy.

It's a guess but if you think about it logically, it makes sense it would happen. We don't like it but IMO in 20 years there will be no more gasoline powered cars.

17. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Economically I don't see this happening. Simply put there are too many world economies extremely reliant on the sale of oil. I do predict that cities will be electric only zones. Electric only would world for some of the first world but it would absolutely not work for most of the developing world where the charging infrastructure simply doesn't exist and is uneconomical to build.

I hope Ferrari go NA and electric assistance...unlikely but one can hope!

JackCongo likes this.
  18. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Unfortunately Hybrid is a big chance for next models ;)

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh we will have plenty of oil. It will just be regulated out of existence.

20. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    This!

Next Ferrari will have an electric supercharger and maybe some electric motors. If so it will have more than 800hp, people will complain about sound and whatever and when they drive it they will buy it ;)

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So many people resistant to change. 919 is a hybrid, a VW EV just took the pikes peak record.

Get on board or get out of the way. ICE has no future. Resistance is pointless.

22. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Hilarious :confused: - It's not about the numbers it's about the experience and nothing beats ICE
    Hence Ferrari Porsche Audi and Lambo are ALL going to have offerings for a decade or more

stavura likes this.
  23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Again unlike considering the severe worldwide economic impact such regulation would have. One thing is for sure the 488 replacement will continue this game of ever more power. Me, I'd would 200 kg less weight and maybe 550 bhp.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Far from it; it has decades of life in front of it. With some sort of electrification of course.

25. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I believe the correct phrase is “resistance is futile”.

8^)

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dolceexte likes this.