2018 Chicago Region Events | Page 5 | FerrariChat

2018 Chicago Region Events

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by F1tommy, Dec 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I would agree, poor planning and disorganized. No one could provide FCA members any info on what was going on. But it was nice to see a good turnout and to talk to some old and new friends.

2. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
  3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Attached Files:

• eaa.PNG
      eaa.PNG
      File size:
      594.9 KB
      Views:
  4. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Planning to go up to RA on Saturday. Weather looks like spotty showers. If anyone is up there, could you let me know how accurate the weather forecast is?

WJC likes this.
  5. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    Agreed! We are getting our Defender detailed and getting it back today. We will be driving it up to show at the concours on Saturday night. The only bright side is rain is easier to get off than bugs!!

If anyone is going, make sure to introduce yourself!

6. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    The one at elkhart lake? Wish we could make it but have dinner plans, wish I knew about this sooner.

WJC likes this.
  7. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Light rain until we passed Six Flags then just overcast and dry in Wisconsin

8. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    F1tommy likes this.
  9. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  10. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Between the rain and an electrical gremlin which turned out to be a bad alternator belt, I left early. If anyone has pictures from the evening I’d love to see them. BTW was there a real GTO sighting or just a recreation?

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Was I hallucinating or were there fighter jets already practicing today?

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They all fly in this weekend and have a pre Air Venture airshow at the Sheboygan Airport today. A lot of cool military airplanes coming in, that's for sure.

EAA Air Venture is the Pebble Beach for warbirds!!!

What color was the GTO??? Nice DB4 Zagato. I wonder if it will stay in town for one of the area concours events??

13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    It was red. It was out during the lunchtime touring session. Couldn’t find it afterwards. My gut is it is a recreation but there have been real ones there in the past.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Interesting. Motion Productions has made a few really nice replica GTO's that you can hardly tell are not real. Just a few miles northwest of Road America I understand there is a real silver GTO getting worked on :).

15. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I was hoping the silver one was going to be there.

16. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    I didn’t see the GTO but in previous years there has been a Ferrari engined, GTO bodied car that you could pay for rides around the track. Not sure what the ‘donor’ car/frame is though.

We got to the track late on Saturday, walked the pits and then by the time we got to our normal viewing spot, it started to rain. We went ahead and called it for the track, checked into the hotel, and set-up for the concours. It was our first show and we had a great time talking to people about the car and I was feeling pretty good talking to the judges - but then they asked us to lift the hood! (YIKES!) We purposefully didn’t detail the engine because we use it off-road and knew that it was going to get dirty the moment we took it on trail. Guess that was a big mistake!! Didn’t bring home a trophy but had a blast anyway. We have our documentation book ready, have a couple of photos throughout the years and now know to wash/detail the engine bay for the next show!

Some people passed by without a second thought, while others would make sure to do a complete walk around. We were most surprised to see how many people were interested in the spot welds showing in the body work.

The first three photos are of my car and some pretty good Old Fashioneds, the next are from the track or the concours.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gh0st0, JP365 and F1tommy like this.
  17. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Looks like a real good turn out, these events posted through fca?

18. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No more pics?

19. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Anything happening around September 10th?
    I will be in the area and would like to attend a car thing around then.

20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Here is the Ferrari Club listing. Does anyone know what the date is for the Ferrari of Lake Forest Concours this year?? Last Sunday of September again?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not cars, but I had a blast at Airventure 2018 again this year...….. Great military tanker airshow along with another B52 flyover as well as the normal F22, F35, F15, F16, F18 insane and extremely loud airshow. The warbird selection was wonderful again. Those 2 blue aircraft called F7F Tigercats were made at the end of WWII and were in concours condition.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JP365, absostone and WJC like this.
  22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    This weekend will be very busy. The sportscars will be racing up at Road America all weekend. If you want to see the GT cars that ran at Lemans this is the place to go. Factory team Porsche's, Ford GT's, C7R's ,488's and others will all be up there along with prototype Cadillac's and Acura's fighting it out for overall wins. Runs from August 2nd until August 5th with practice on Friday and qualifying on Saturday. The big race is on Sunday August 5th.

Milwaukee Concours on the lake will be on Sunday August 5th all day

Fuel Fed private event will be on Sunday afternoon August 5th.

Rise And Drive on Sunday morning August 5th

WJC and JP365 like this.
  23. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Supercar Saturday is this weekend as well. We shall see if I’m mobile again. Got the new alternator belt but it is slightly taller and wider. It’s on but I haven’t driven the car yet because I’m also replacing some hoses as well. Nothing like getting stuck by the side of the road and having your wife pick up your son to remind you to stay current on wear and tear items.

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Where is rise and drive?

25. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    I had to make the decision between the Milwaukee concours and the FuelFed event! We went to the concours last year so we figured we would give the FuelFed event a shot this year! Sad to not be going but hopeful to still see some good cars!