New Direction for Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Direction for Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Coincid, Jul 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    This is not the 1968. And there is no Dino brand either.

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    There is if they create it...and it can be 1968 again if they want.
    One is only limited by imagination.
    An SUV is an unimaginative "me too" lump of crap.

sixcarbs likes this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The Dino was Alfredo's pet project (well, the V6 anyway), not deemed fit to be named a Ferrari. The current Ferrari has been on record many times stating that a cheaper-slower Ferrari is out of the question.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #29 TheMayor, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Which is why they should make such a car either under Maserati or Alfa Romeo. I agree making a less expensive Ferrari just hurts their brand. But Maserati sure could use a lift now that they've created the run of the mill Ghibli (aka Italian Lexus)

If I were at Maserati I would go straight at Porsche's 2 sports cars and upgrade their SUV to match or exceed as well. You will never get Porsche's numbers but at least you can grow.

As to the SUV -- I'm over the outrage. If people want one then make one. Just make the best one in the world.

I only hope they don't sacrifice work from the 488 replacement. McLaren is setting the bar really high now.

5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    so, just a matter of time before we see a McLaren suv?
    They just teased the 'Speedtail' (BP23). Maybe 'Boattail' for suv.;)

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

While I agree that such a car would be closer to Maserati and/or Alfa territory, it won't happen.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Regarding the Ghibli though, it is a 5 Series competitor and the best driver's car in the segment for that matter; not even close to a Lexus in terms of philosophy.

As for the 488 replacement, Ferrari hasn't messed up a mid engine car, since the 348. ;)

tifoso2728 likes this.
  7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #32 TheMayor, Jul 28, 2018
    My GF had a Lexus 350 which is a gussied up Camry. We looked at both side by side. Aside from the motor the Ghibli was pretty much a match-- except it was $25 grand more.

I really hope Alfa knocks it out of the park with the new GTV and 8c

As to the 488 replacement, they can't be complacent. This model will be its cash cow for 8 years. The 458 was a marvelous step after the very good F430. Can they do it again?

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I am sorry, but how can you judge a car without driving it?
    Regarding the 488, I am sure they can.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #34 TheMayor, Jul 28, 2018
    You mean the Ghibli? She drove it. She didn't care at all about the engine. It was her car. She turned down a much more expensive car because she liked the Lexus better. And, every day, hundreds of people do the same.

The Lexus infotainment system blew away the Ghibli also and it got a lot better mileage (something she really wanted).

She didn't want the Bimmer either and when I suggest she look at a Cadillac I couldn't even get her to walk into a dealer!

I didn't like the Lexus at all. I thought it was a warmed over Camry -- boring as hell.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’ll gladly get a FSUV as a long distance people mover.

The 458 spider and Performante sypder are great for a few hours tops. And the Tesla is brilliant but I wont waste my trip sitting idle while it charges.

Bring on the change.

timjen88 likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    She would have probably preferred the Lexus to a Ferrari. Which is all you need to know about criteria of an ignorant driver. :)
    I 'd like to think that us, petrolheads, know better than that.
    Comparing a Ghibli to a Lexus makes no sense. And it's not only about the engine either. The Ghibli steers like a sportscar!!!

12. F355GTB

F355GTB Karting

Jul 9, 2012
    A
    Agree it wont be traditional one... Not like Urus, bits and pieces of VW group...

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The Urus is utter crap. But it doesn’t make me hate a performante by any means.

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The SUV will be a great seller. The added liquidity and profits generated by the SUV will only auger well in expanding the variety of high performance and track oriented models in the future. Win-win on all levels.

JagShergill and timjen88 like this.
  15. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    If it looks good, sounds good, drives good, count me in!

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I say bring it on... Ferrari should drop the FF /GTC line and give us what sells.. they just need to recognize that it needs to be packaged as a performance SUV and not make everything an option package it right and sell the heck out of it.. whats wrong with a 650Hp SUV.. virtually every family has an SUV now..
    my wife loves her cayenne TURBO.. and for me if I have to drive an SUV I like the cayenne better then any other SUV on the road so why not a Ferrari..
    we had Lexus, infinity, Cadillac and other SUVs but I hated them all just boring ..finally convinced my wife to try the cayenne and we have had it a few years and she loves it ...

timjen88 and Mechanical Dad like this.
  17. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    MalcQV likes this.
  18. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Will they make an SUV diesel too like Porsche?

19. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Might have to make a new poll here.

For all of those people cheering it on as just business, Ferrari doing what they have to do, and if it brings in money to fund other sports car development good, I pose to you this question.

If Ferrari management had a position that there would be no SUV, no matter what, that they felt it would cheapen the brand, would you support that too or would you be saying they should build one?

Many of you have come to accept this, but how many of you would be clamoring for it if it were not coming?

nicholasn and italiafan like this.
  20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    This thread is like deja vu all over again. The FUV is already a done deal. A camouflaged Lusso suspension demonstrator with higher ground clearance was already photographed out testing. It is also known that it will have a hybrid V8 with no V12 option. The FF/Lusso platform is already slated to end, and that's when the FUV will appear. It's not a direct replacement for the FF/Lusso, but a new category of Ferrari. One exec said the 2+2 has such a long history with Ferrari, that they will likely make another in a more traditional GT configuration, and that would get a V12 (Probably a hybrid).

Maybe I just have too sunny of a disposition, but none of that seems like bad news to me.

anunakki likes this.
  21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Do you have a link to the mules ??

22. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Wouldn’t a more traditional GT configuration for the direct Lusso replacement come to close to the 812 model line (like back in the day with the 599 and 612)?

23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    The real problem with the SUV is that it wastes precious development resources and capital that could be better allocated to future models that would generate more profit and better fit the Scuderia DNA. As much as I hate to admit it I think they would be better off by developing their own hybrid/electric Porsche E-mission than a SUV.

IMO the Ferrari SUV will be a bomb just like the FF. It will NOT create a cash cow and will end up being the car that buyers are coerced into getting so that they may have a better list spot on the latest model.

The Californina and Portofino are already Ferrari Lite options. I can understand those platforms as they make more fiscal sense and expand their consumer base. I don't think adding an SUV to that mix will be wise. There is a tipping point of brand dilution. Yes the SUV saved Porsche but I would argue that they are so common place that Porsche no longer has the cache it once had. They are literally scattered here like Hondas. Go to Boca and every yoga wearing, Starbuck sipping mom and daughter has one. 911's are like corporate fleet cars for attorneys and brokers now. :)

But what do I know? I'm crazy enough to think Ferrari should consider leaving F1 for a full force effort into Le Mans and sportscar racing. :)

MalcQV likes this.
  24. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    No, it would restore the traditional relationship. The FF/Lusso is the outlier. Before the 599/612 GT and 2+2 there was the 550/456 GT and 2+2. Farther back the 365 GTB Daytona and the 365GT/C 4 2+2 were sold alongside each other. I the first regular production 2+2 was the 250 GT/E which appeared in 1960.

25. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    you lost me at the terrorist analogy.